You know, we are a perthectly good team.

Educated Hick

There were shockwaves in Scotland the day I resigned from Celtic. It was a dismal Nov day in 2009. I had informed noone of my decision to quit, not the players, not the coaching staff, not even managment. I just told the pres that I would be holding a conference after the team got back from the derby with Rangers at Ibrox. In my final match as Celtic's manager we drubbed Rangers 3-0 with Lee Bowyer and Martin Taylor scoring goals. Of course, the players were excited and noone noticed that I was somewhat subdued as we came back to Celtic Park. When the team bus pulled in, the press were waiting. I took the podium and first congratulated the lads on a fine win. Then I droooed the bomb.

Ladies and gentlemen of the press. I have an important announment to make. As of tonight, I am tendering my resignation as manager of Celtic. I have served this club for eight enjoyable years. I have won the Champions Lwague won, Seven Priemier Divsion titles, the FIFA World Club Championship and many other honers. I have ben privleged to coach many of Great Britian's greatest players, such as Roy Caroll, Simon Davies, Joe Cole, Suan Maloney, Alan Shearer, Cherno Samba and Alan Smith. I will remember all my players and the fun we've had together. However, I feel burned out and it is time for me to retun to my estate in Northern Ireland and resume farming. Thank you.

The silence was acute. Eveeryone but me was stunned as I walked to my office and veried that everything was packed(I had packed it in the ,morning) and As I walked out of Celtic Park for the last time, I lit my pipe, took a puff and smiled. I was free for the first time in eight years. Free of the demands of high pressure managment, Free of the stress of having to win every game. It was wonderful. Over the next few days, I tied up my affairs in Scotland while the nation fumed and cryed and in some corners, whooped for joy. It was time to redume a normal life. Farm my estate in County Atrium and relax. So I thought at the time.

There were shockwaves in Scotland the day I resigned from Celtic. It was a dismal Nov day in 2009. I had informed noone of my decision to quit, not the players, not the coaching staff, not even managment. I just told the pres that I would be holding a conference after the team got back from the derby with Rangers at Ibrox. In my final match as Celtic's manager we drubbed Rangers 3-0 with Lee Bowyer and Martin Taylor scoring goals. Of course, the players were excited and noone noticed that I was somewhat subdued as we came back to Celtic Park. When the team bus pulled in, the press were waiting. I took the podium and first congratulated the lads on a fine win. Then I droooed the bomb.

Ladies and gentlemen of the press. I have an important announment to make. As of tonight, I am tendering my resignation as manager of Celtic. I have served this club for eight enjoyable years. I have won the Champions Lwague won, Seven Priemier Divsion titles, the FIFA World Club Championship and many other honers. I have ben privleged to coach many of Great Britian's greatest players, such as Roy Caroll, Simon Davies, Joe Cole, Suan Maloney, Alan Shearer, Cherno Samba and Alan Smith. I will remember all my players and the fun we've had together. However, I feel burned out and it is time for me to retun to my estate in Northern Ireland and resume farming. Thank you.

The silence was acute. Eveeryone but me was stunned as I walked to my office and veried that everything was packed(I had packed it in the ,morning) and As I walked out of Celtic Park for the last time, I lit my pipe, took a puff and smiled. I was free for the first time in eight years. Free of the demands of high pressure managment, Free of the stress of having to win every game. It was wonderful. Over the next few days, I tied up my affairs in Scotland while the nation fumed and cryed and in some corners, whooped for joy. It was time to redume a normal life. Farm my estate in County Atrium and relax. So I thought at the time.

But, it was winter in N. Ireland and there wasn't much to do on the farm. Sure there was machinery to fix and there were the preparations to make fror early planting, but beyond that, there wasn't much to do. Once I caught up onmy backlog of books, dating back ten years or more, I became exceptionally bored. I began watching football on TV and before I knew it, I'd become an armchair manager of the sort that I had loathed in my days with Celtic. Finally one day, about a month into my retirement, I found myself watching a Wed. night clash between Man United and Birmingham,managed by David O'Leary and Trevor Francis respectively. During the match, which was at Old Trafford, I found myself yelling at the tv set that both managers were complete idiots. At that point, something in my head buzzed. I realized that retirement didn't really suit me. I was still young and I wasn't quite prepare to quit. Being considered the best manager in t world can have its perks. I'd put together a list of contacts in many coutries and I began to use those contacts. I wanted a small club with no pressure and no desire to dominate the world, in other words, a team that knew its place and would be happy to just do well. As the next few days passed, I applied for two jobs. The first were Bohemiens, who were fifth in the Irish First Division. The second wasthe Perth Glory, who were sitting in 11th place in the National Soccer League in Austrialia. They had twelve games left to make the playoffs and seemed more of a challenge, so I packed my bags, told the farmhands what to do on the farm and headed for the blistering heat of Oz.

When I arrived in Perth on December 30th 2009, I settled in my office, putting up the knickknacks that all coaches aquire over a long career. In my case, the mementos were photos of my family in Northern Ireland. Photos of moving to the US at the age of 11. Photos of high school and college in the US. Then there were the coaching mementos...my high school state titles, my college national titles, my lone MLS championship. Then came the shelves of Celtic memobilia, photos and signed footballs from all my championship teams. Taken as a whole, the memobilia took up entire wall of shelves along side all the books I brought along, books on football strategy and tactics, books on general sports theory and of course books on sports psychology and motivation. It was the latter that I would really have to read now as I took up my new job. I met the board in a private meeting. They informed me that they wanted Perth to have a respectable season and that I had roughly half a million pounds to buy players. The board wished me the best of luck and exited the conference room, leaving me to sit and think. I returned to my office, fired uiup my computer and went to work.

To say Perth had been badly served by the prevuous regime would be an understatement. There were,, for instance, nine goalkeepers on the team, mostlycallow youths. The best striker(which wasn't saying much) had been banished to the reserves for reasons that were unclear and in the most glaring idiocy of all, a player(Chris Bresciano, a 25 yr old midfileder) whom the board considered invaluable to the team, was actually out on loan to a minor league team. Yes, that's how bad previous managment had been, but it got worse. I had to sack all but one of the coaching staff because they were all woefully inept at coaching. I then trimmed the scouts to four and sent them to Oceania, Asia and the UK to look for players. Next, I went looking for coaches and recieved my firest shock of Austialian football, noone anny god wanted to come coach, it didn't matter that I had been one of the top three managers in the world, they still weren't coming. Stil, I managed to piece together a staff, includiing hiring a player, Christian Dailly(36 yr old Scot) who would arrive in June on a Bos. Dailly would be a playing Asst. Manager, and if he got through the foriegn requirements would play in defense. If the staff was bad, the players were worse. It was a very young squad and I spent many hours of watching tape to figure out who would be playing, who would be reservees and who was gone(sold or released) After that sleepless night, I held an Amercian style tryout the next day in practice. The idea was to see who could actully play, those who could remained on the first team, those who were young and had a chance were sent to the reserves and those who coundn't were released. I figured that was the most effient way to deal with this bunch of malcotents. Everyone, it seemed, was whning about something. Over the next couple of months, the tryouts would be used as a way to trim the squad. That allowed me to start bring in my own players. My first two signings came a couple of days after I arrived. Andy Dallas, a 16 yr old Northern Irish midfielder, whom my Celtic scouts had recommened, was brouggt in on a free trasfer from East Stirling. In addition George Ndah, a 35 yr old English foeward who had been on the shortlist for years, was also signed on a fee transter. Both he and Dallas were to play crucial roles in my first games.

D)S- All I can tell you is that Ndah was liisted as a decent player by one of my scouts at Celtic, I don't know why, maybe the scout had had a couple of pints before a match. But at any rate Ndah's proved a reasonable player for the NSL.

----------------------------------------------

My goal for Perth, in the half a season I had remaining to me, was to make the playoffs. Given that Perth was in 11th place when I took over and only 14 games remained, this seemed to be a tal goal because of the fact that only the top six teams made the playoffs to determine the league championship. But then, I looked at the league table points and realized that the league was loaded with parity...two wins and a draw over the pace of our opponents would give us that last playoff spot. I explained this to the guys on the team and told them I firmly believed we could do it. The lads beliebved me, they ran off five straight wins, hitting gogals, playing tight defense, the works. The hero of the run was Matthew Byrne, the talented striker who had been sent to the reserves. Also contributing to the run were 16 yr olds Dallas and starting right back Shaun Morrison. Yes, I know all the conventional wisdomagainst starting 16 yr olds, but I thought they were ready for the big time. Better they start now than stew in the reserves. And for five games, that reasoning worked.

Then the applecart stopped dead in its tracks. Maybe the euphoria wore off, or maybe team balance was upset by the new players I was bringing in on scouts' recommendations. The most important of these signing were left back Ryan Banks, 60K from Paramatta who shored up a week area on the back line and Adrian Stojevski an 18 yr old Aussie left winger whom I planned on coverting to the center. Adrian had loads of talent and will be an Aussie international some day. He has that kind of talent. Even though he's a left winger, I decided to start him in the hole between midfield and the forwards. Maybe that's where things went wrong.

Whatever the reason for the collapse, it hit hard. In our next five games Perth drew four and lost one, thereby erasing our progress as a couple of bottom-feeders got hot and started winning. In addittion to our inability to win a game, we hit a scoring drought, Byrne drying up quicker than a desert well. Every game seemed to be a 0-0 or 1-1 result, meaning our defense and goalie were up to snuff, but our offense, was lacking. During the run, I juggled lineuups due to injury and incompetance and sourly started to prepare for next season. I brought in more youth players and another forward, Con Hall a 24 yr old Aussie striker who lacked finishing abilty, but who could head the ball. At the close of the five game period, we found ourselves just outside the playoffs in seventh place. We still had two games left to play, so I figured we had a shot. We won our next game 2-1, giving us crucial points. It all came down to our last game of the season. If we beat Omypic Sharks(a hot team that was winning) we had a chance at the playoffs. It wasn't to be. We had key players out due to injiry and the squad morale was sunk...they didn't believe and it showed in our play as we lost 2-1 to a team we had beaten in our early run. Feeling sligtly disappointed, I prepared for a busy offseason. There was a lot of wheeling and dealing to be done and fortunately, plenty of time to do it.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

************************************************************************************************

Australian National Soccer League - Wednesday 26th May 2010

************************************************************************************************

================================================================================================

2009/0 Table

================================================================================================

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Q Kingz 26 6 6 1 24 14 7 2 4 21 13 47

2nd Q Northern Spirit 26 6 3 4 21 16 7 3 3 29 23 45

3rd Q South Melbourne 26 6 5 2 12 8 5 5 3 19 14 43

4th Q Olympic Sharks 26 7 4 2 26 15 5 2 6 18 17 42

5th Q Adelaide City 26 7 5 1 24 11 3 7 3 15 18 42

6th Q Melbourne Knights 26 8 1 4 26 22 5 1 7 14 16 41

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7th Perth Glory 26 4 6 3 19 18 5 4 4 14 11 37

8th Parramatta Power 26 6 2 5 15 16 2 7 4 15 23 33

9th Brisbane Strikers 26 7 1 5 28 21 2 4 7 13 22 32

10th Canberra Cosmos 26 3 6 4 12 14 4 4 5 20 18 31

11th Newcastle UFC 26 5 1 7 24 25 3 3 7 18 29 28

12th Wollongong Wolves 26 5 5 3 14 10 1 3 9 8 24 26

13th Marconi 26 5 2 6 16 18 2 2 9 16 27 25

14th Sydney Utd 26 5 3 5 26 27 1 3 9 15 32 24

</pre>

[*******************************************************************************************

Perth Glory - Wednesday 26th May 2010

2009/0 Senior Club Stats

No Name Apps Gls Con Pens Asts Yel Red MoM Av R

5 Albanese, Noah 31 2 0 1 (0) 2 4 0 15 7.94

27 Allen, John 21 (2) 15 0 1 (1) 5 1 0 0 7.22

31 Banks, Ryan 7 0 0 0 0 2 1 1 6.86

37 Bonetti, Ansah 2 (1) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.00

28 Bresciano, Chris 3 1 0 1 (1) 1 0 0 1 7.00

10 Byrne, Matthew 23 8 0 0 3 2 0 2 7.17

25 Carney, David 8 0 0 0 2 1 0 0 7.13

11 Coffey, Sam 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.00

39 Dallas, Andy 8 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 7.38

14 Dodd, Anthony 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

- Farrugia, Eddie - - - - - - - - ----

33 Gonzalez, Trevor 1 (1) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.50

42 Hall, Con 3 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.67

44 Harrison, Joel - - - - - - - - ----

- Hughes, Chris - - - - - - - - ----

16 Hunter, Matt 2 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.00

29 Jones, Robert - - - - - - - - ----

12 Kovacevic, Les 3 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 7.00

38 Memeti, Steven 14 (2) 0 0 0 1 0 0 3 7.06

40 Mendes, John 0 (1) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.00

2 Mezzino, David 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.88

4 Milosevic, Matthew 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 7.00

30 Molenda, Robbie 8 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 6.38

34 Morrison, Shaun 7 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.29

9 Moss, Simon 2 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 7.00

- Murphy, Phil 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

24 Murphy, Tom 20 0 0 0 4 2 0 0 7.00

17 Murray, Mark 16 2 0 0 0 1 1 4 7.00

41 Ndah, George 0 (7) 2 0 0 1 0 0 0 7.14

- O'Neill, David - - - - - - - - ----

23 Pir, Serdar 9 1 0 0 1 2 0 1 6.78

15 Robertson, Sean 17 0 0 0 5 0 0 0 7.06

- Savage, Mark - - - - - - - - ----

- Smith, Christopher - - - - - - - - ----

- Smith, Robbie - - - - - - - - ----

6 Starr, Frank 11 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 7.09

20 Stojcevski, Adrian 6 (1) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.43

26 Sweeney, Steven 16 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 7.13

18 Thomas, Graham 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.00

- Trimboli, Shane - - - - - - - - ----

35 Woods, Peter 23 0 25 0 0 0 0 1 7.17

</pre>

The one unfortunate thing about the NSL is the length of the off-season which runs roughly from late April to early Oct. My guess is that Aussies don't want to play in the middle of winter. As it was, there was plently to do. The World Cup was in June and like many World Cups, contained many susprises. In this 2010 version, the suprises were the following. China and the United States both beat Spain in the group stage to prevent the Spanish from advancing past the prelims. In the second round, Germany, Brazil and hosts Agentina all lost. In the later rounds, Russia made a run for the Cup and wound up in the final before losting to to Holland. After the Cup, Perth and I set about whelling and dealing. We signed young players and and better forreigners than the ones we had. Right-back David O'Neill came in a 20 grand deal from Kilmarnock. Brian Dixon, a 24 yr old central defender on a Bos. from Killie. These two players will step right into the regulgar starting lineup. While those two were the main signings there were others. Chief among them was goalkeeper Austin Thompson, a 33 yr old goalkeeper from, of all places, Ohio for 10K. Thompson will be a bgckup goalie and will coach the young keepers. I finally signed an asst manager who will coach the youth team and overall tactics. Thus, by August, the Perth Glory squad and staff for the 2010/11 season.

With the squad set, I set up a tourna,ment called the Perth Cup which was played in mid Sept. The other three teams in the tourney were from Tasmania, Vanatu and the Solomon Islands. Of course Perth won the touney, but the real idea was to get my players some playing time. The idea worked, as several players who were on the bubble, solidified starting spots. The last warmuup game was against Adeliade City Zebras. It was an easy win, noteable only that forward Con Hall, who had been slated for backup duty, scored a hat-trick and thus moved up the depth chart. All in all, we deemed prepared for the season.

Squad assesment to follow.

Goalkeepers: - This is the weakest position on the team. The three first-team keepers aren't very good. I suspect that the position will be a revoving door this year. Note: projected starters are listed first.

Peter Woods(27 Aus)- The incumbent keeper. Wood is a great inspiration to his teammates, can jump and has reasonable handling and reflexes. He, however, has no clue how to position himself. I hope his ability to direct defenders and athletic abilty will compensate.

John Mendes(22 Aus)- The most balanced keeper on the first team. His best skill is his ability to handle the ball and decent reflexes. He would the starter if he could jump higher than 2 inches off the floor.

Adrian Thompson(Aus 33)- The third string keeper because he has worse skills than Mendes. Thompson's main job will be to coach the reserve goalkeepers.

Player to watch: Joel Harrison(Aus 16)- Has primo goalkeeping skills, just needs to develope. Could be first-team starter in four years. It's not like he has much competion ahead of him.

Defenders:

Defense may be the strengh of the club. It's young and talented and can only get better. Banks and Dixon will be stars in the league.

Ryan Banks(Aus 24 1 DL)- This kid has defensive talent. He has the great attributes I require of my fullbacks- marking, pace and positioning. He has all three and should be the starter for a long time.

Steven Sweeney(23 Aus DL)- A career backup. His skills are below par.

Davifd Mezzino(23 Aus U21 DR/L)- Young defender who has talent. He's not really a marker, but he does has pace and passing skills.

David O'Neill(23 Sco DR)- Decent skills, may be a careeer backup.

Brian Dixon(23 Eng DC)- The Bos from Kimarnock. He has unbelievable marking and heading skills;meaning he'll be able to shut down most forwards in this league.

Matt Murry(25 Aus 1/2 DC)- A solid defender with just enough skill to start in the NSL. I'm not sure why he was seclected for the Aus. national team.

Tom Murphy(20 Aus 2 DC)- Would probably be the starter but he can't jump very well. Only 20, he still has time to develop into a solid starter.

Sendar Pir (31 Aus DC)- Rrasonably well-rounded. Pir could sneak into the starting lineup and stay there if he plays well enough while someone is hurt.

Player to watch: Shuan Morrison(17 Aus DR) Highly skilled for a 17 year old. Give him a couple more years and he'll crack the starting luneup for good.

Next up- midfield and forwards

Midfield:

This is a solid, if unispiring group.

Simon Catanzaro(29 Aus LMC)- A Bos. signing from an Aus minor league team, he has some tech. skills and should have a decent season.

George Ndah(35 Eng LMC) Ndah is too old to start, but he could bre a sparkplug off the bench. George still has plenty of skill and can alter a game when he comes onto the pitch.

David Carney(27 Aus MC)- Slow but solid player who will be expected to run the show in the middle. My lone concern is that he can be a selfish player, but I won't hesitant to yank him if that becomes a problem.

Stuart Robertson(24 Aus U21 MC)- Could replace Carney in the lineup because he's faster and a better teammate. I suspect Stu will become the starter by the end of the year.

Chris Bresciano(26 Aus RMC)- Has decent skills and good physical talent, but is starting because the board seem to think he's a valuable player. I think they're overrating him, but we will see. He ain't great, but he's not too bad.

Frank Starr(26 Aus RMC)- Reasonable skills. If Bresciano flops, Starr will replace him.

Adrian Stoljevski (19 Aus)- A future Aus Int. This kid has skills and will only get better. The problem is that he hates the fact that I'm trying to convert him to the center. I don't care what he thinks...he will play center and that's that. He'd better get used to it.

Ansah Bonetti(28 Trindad and Tobago 4 AMC)- I don't know what the previous manager saw in this guy. He's physically gifted and a good teammate, but he lacks skills. He's too epensive to cut however, so he gets a backup role.

Forwards:

These guys are in a similar situation as the goalkeepers, no one stands out. That said, there could be a revolving door here if noone plays with any consistancy.

Nick Bernier(24 Canadian 1)-Nick was picked up on a free after my scouts looked at him. He is lightening fast and can dribble and finsh.

John Allen (27 Aus)- The fans player of the year last season, Allen has a knack for scoring goals.

Matt Byne(24 Aus)- Can dribble and score, but got edged out of the starting lineup. Will get playing time though.

Con Hall (25 Aus) -Came oveer from South Melbourne in a 9k deal late last season. Hall is fast, smart and can head the ball...his only trouble is a lack of scoring nerve. Made the first team because of a hat-trick he scored in a friendly.

Player to watch: Matt Hunter(19 Aus)- Blossoming targetman could crack starting lineup this season if nobody can score.

There you have it. The 2010/11 Perth Glory first team.

Our first five games went relatively smooth. We finshed that stretch 3-1-1, good for 5th place. My preseason concerns, however, seemed fully justified. Goalkeeper seemed solid enough with Wood being an unflappable captain and shot saver. Defense was ok...but Dixon wasn't living up to his billing. He wasn't playing badly, but he wasn't playing well ethier. Midfield and attack were beset with injuries and incompetance. Nearly all the first teamers in those positions played at least 2 games during the stretch and it affected our scoring. Stojevski, in particular, was inconsistant, mainly because he whined about training. The other forwards didn't help matters because, except for Berneir, they were all injured or couldn't find the net. Things got desprete in midfield and I bought 20 yr old Adrian Edwards from Kingz for 8,000 pounds. Edwards is a versitile mid. who should get playing time. In addition Robertson fulfilled my preason prediction and wrested the starting MC job from Carney. Perth is playing well, but we need to start getting some goals or it's gonn come back and bite us in the ass.

As to prove my fears. the next five games were gut-wrenching. We couldn't buy a goal, and when we did, the opposition would score to level the game. We had four striaght draws before managing to pull out a 2-0 win at home. Remarkably, we managed to keep afloat in 5th place, mainly because we weren't losing. Our goalscoring woes were added to, when John Allen, back from a twisted knee, promptly broke his wrist and was out for six months. To add insult, the trainer examined Allen after the wrist setting and found that Allen had a groin strain that he wasn't talking about. Needless to say, Allen would need surgery for that as well and as a consquence would be out for a total of ten months. He was done until next season. That injury gave Matt Hunter the chance he'd been lloking for to crack the foreard rotation, and he scored in his season debut. However, it wasn't all negative during this time. My scouts continued to search for talent and suddenly hit a rich vein of young talented goalkeepers. Brett Taylor, a 19 yr old Aus came from Olympic Sharks in a 60 grand deal and will become the first team starter at goal. He has that kind of talent. 16 yr old GK Gary Ward was signd out of gigh school and negoiations contine with 17 yr old keeper Brett Nidi of Paramatta Eagles. Brett has world-class handling and could be a superstar in a few years. But we're having trouble signing him to a deal thank s to a penny-pinching board. To make room for the goalies and other players, two reserve keepers and Mendes werre released and three other reserve players who weren't gonnga make it, including Andy Dallas were released. This last release frees up a foreign slot on the roster. We are trying to land American Matt Anderson who is playing for an Aus. mnor league team. Anderson has the skills to step into the starting forward spot, but salary is an issue. My board semed determined to constraian the salary cap at 10 grand per player and it is costing us a chace at good talent. I intend to complain at the next board meeting and may issue an ultimatetum if they deny my request for higher wages and don't give a valid reason for the denial. if that doesn't work, then I'll leave the club and find a job elsewhere. I refuse to be hamstrung by a board without suffient reason.

Seeing as I have nothing better to do, here's the update that takes us to the halfway point in the NSL season.

The press claimed that things couldn't get worse, but they did. The board rejected my pleas for better wages and so I issued an ulimatium. The fans, of course, supported my bid to improve the team, but the board still refused saying that they simply didn't have the money to pay players a decent salary. They did say they appreciated my work at the club and that they hopred I would stay. Mollified by the honesty and the praise, I decided to keep plugging away. Our next three games were close affairs as usual, an 0-0 draw, a 1-0 win and then, a shellacking 4-1 loss to league leaders Newcastle UFC at home. All I can say is that they played brilliantly and thier forward had a career day. To make matters worse, Matt Hunter torgn his groin muscle and would be out for three months, or basically the rest of the regular season. That meant two of the first team forwards were out...not a good thing. I'll bet the board was ruing thier decison to hold the line on salaries. On the other hand maybe we could persuade Anderson to come if we could offer a sizeable signing bonus. It was a tactic that had worked with goalie phenom Brett Nardi, who had finally agreed to come to Perth after we gave him a sizable signing bonus. In the next half of the season, we were going to have to find more ways to score goals. Otherwise, it was going to be a rough second half.

Australian National Soccer League - Saturday 18th December 2010

2010/1 Table

1st Newcastle UFC 13 5 0 1 15 5 6 0 1 18 8 33

2nd Brisbane Strikers 13 6 1 1 20 14 3 2 0 8 5 30

3rd Northern Spirit 13 5 2 1 15 7 4 0 1 12 4 29

4th Adelaide City 14 5 1 0 17 4 3 2 3 11 13 27

5th Kingz 14 5 1 2 17 11 1 2 3 9 10 21

6th Perth Glory 13 3 2 2 5 5 2 4 0 6 4 21

7th Parramatta Power 14 4 0 2 11 6 3 0 5 12 16 21

8th Marconi 14 1 5 2 9 14 3 0 3 11 11 17

9th South Melbourne 13 1 1 3 8 11 3 1 4 7 8 14

10th Olympic Sharks 12 2 1 3 6 10 1 2 3 10 13 12

11th Wollongong Wolves 12 3 1 2 8 8 0 1 5 2 13 11

12th Sydney Utd 13 0 0 5 10 16 2 3 3 13 15 9

13th Melbourne Knights 13 0 2 3 3 8 1 2 5 10 17 7

14th Canberra Cosmos 13 0 2 6 6 17 1 0 4 7 13 5

Perth Glory - Saturday 18th December 2010

2010/1 Senior Club Stats

24 Allen, John 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.00

- Baker, Joseph - - - - - - - - ----

3 Banks, Ryan 12 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 6.83

19 Bernier, Nick 9 (1) 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.80

4 Bonetti, Ansah 4 2 0 0 0 0 0 1 7.25

25 Bresciano, Chris 10 3 0 1 (1) 0 0 0 1 7.00

10 Byrne, Matthew 5 (4) 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.22

11 Carney, David 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.25

23 Catanzaro, Simon 9 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 7.00

15 Coffey, Sam 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

27 Dixon, Brian 8 (1) 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 6.78

- Donovan, Stephen - - - - - - - - ----

13 Edwards, Adrian 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

14 Farrugia, Eddie - - - - - - - - ----

- Farrugia, Gary - - - - - - - - ----

- Ferguson, Joel - - - - - - - - ----

- Galea, Simon - - - - - - - - ----

9 Hall, Con 6 (2) 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 6.63

43 Hughes, Chris - - - - - - - - ----

26 Hunter, Matt 3 (1) 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 7.00

30 Jones, Cameron - - - - - - - - ----

2 Mezzino, David 9 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.33

5 Milosevic, Matthew 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

31 Molenda, Robbie 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

40 Morrison, Shaun 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

16 Moss, Simon 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

32 Murphy, Phil 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

12 Murphy, Tom 1 (1) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.00

6 Murray, Mark 13 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 7.00

- Nardi, Brett 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

21 Ndah, George 4 (2) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.83

28 O'Neill, David 4 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 7.25

20 Pir, Serdar 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.50

8 Robertson, Sean 10 (2) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.83

35 Savage, Mark - - - - - - - - ----

33 Smith, Christopher - - - - - - - - ----

7 Starr, Frank 2 (2) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.00

37 Stojcevski, Adrian 9 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.44

18 Sweeney, Steven 1 (1) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.00

34 Thomas, Brett 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

29 Thomas, Graham 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

22 Thompson, Adrian 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

39 Trimboli, Shane - - - - - - - - ----

- Ward, Gary - - - - - - - - ----

1 Woods, Peter 13 0 9 0 0 0 0 0 7.08

38 Zito, Mike - - - - - - - - ----

</pre>

The next eight games had their ups and downs, but at least we were still clinging to the playoffs, having gone 4-1-3 in the games. Our goal scoring continued to be anemic, but I was working around that. The American, Matt Anderson finally agreed to come to Perth on a 10K salary, but it took a 90K signing bonus, which, of ciurse, earned him the nickname of "Bonus Baby"(Fans of American sports will get the reference) Anderson, while not scoring, has terrified goalkeepers and is creating chances for others. With that signing, I broke the bank...I had no more transfer money to spend, which meant that it was going to be difficult to resign Mark Murry, Chris Bresiano and Matt Hunter. The first two were resisting the board's attempts to cut thier salaries and there isn't any bonus money to sweeten the unpalatable contracts I can offer. Hunter, at least, has given me the terms he's willing to take, but I can't meet them. He might resign, but it's doubtful. Murry and Bresiano are lost causes, neither is willing to negoaite. To cap off the stretch..Dan carney became unglued after he played poorly in a 1-0 loss to second placed Northern Spirit. Carney lashed out at his "teammates' poor performances." I defended the team and pointed out that Carney ws the only one playing poorly. The statement earned me a commendation from the board. I then fined Carney 2 weeks pay for bad behavior and 2 more weeks pay for lousy per formance. I sent him to the reserves and to train with the goalkeepers. Needless to say he's been transfer-listed, a move greeted with enthusasim by the team, and he won't play another minute at the club.

To our credit we sprinted the final five games as we fought to secure our playoff spot. We went 3-1-1 with the sole loss coming to Newcastle UFC, who were having a dream seaon. In the end, we finished 4th despite having the second lowest number of goals in the league. In the playoffs, we played reasonablely well, but lost to Kingz on away goals. All in all, it was a frustrating season, because everything was solid but the forwards to start the season, and then, at the end of the season, the midfield became a bit chippy. It seemed as though we were never quite put it all together. Hopefully, the offseason will bring a few new players and a bright outlook for the newxt season. Since I have now completed a full season at Perth; here are my personal team awards. (The official stuff will be covered in the offseason post)

Biggest Suprise- Ansah Bonetti- Slated as a backup at the beginning of the season, Bonetti played so well in spot appreances that he carved a place in the starting lineup three quaters of the way through the season.

Biggest disapiontment- (tie) Robbie Banks and Sean Roberson- I expected much more out of these two than I got. Check the preseason report nd the final stats to see what I mean.

Reserve Team MVP- Robbie Molenda. He blistered the reseves with 9 goals in 18 appearances and a 7.56. He'll get a shot at firest-team football next year.

Most consistant player- Mark Murry, a 7.00 rating in 27 games shows that the defender played well day in and day out.

Best Newcomer- Matt Anderson- Helped solidify a struggling forward corp.

Team MVP- Matt Byne, The forward sparked our goalscoring efforts in the second half of the season.

We wish the following players well at thier new teams next season: Murry, Pir, Tom Murphy, Bresiano, Hall and Hunter.

Thank God and Greyhound he's gone award: Carney

Final league standings and stats-

Australian National Soccer League - Monday 4th April 2011

2010/1 Table

1st Q Newcastle UFC 26 10 0 3 36 19 11 1 1 33 17 64

2nd Q Northern Spirit 26 9 3 1 23 10 10 1 2 31 9 61

3rd Q Adelaide City 26 9 1 3 27 10 7 2 4 22 17 51

4th Q Perth Glory 26 8 3 2 13 6 4 5 4 14 15 44

5th Q Kingz 26 8 1 4 27 18 5 3 5 23 21 43

6th Q Parramatta Power 26 8 0 5 26 17 5 1 7 18 25 40

7th Brisbane Strikers 26 7 3 3 27 20 3 5 5 18 25 38

8th Olympic Sharks 26 5 3 5 22 23 6 2 5 26 27 38

9th Marconi 26 4 5 4 19 21 6 0 7 19 22 35

10th Melbourne Knights 26 5 2 6 17 18 3 3 7 15 23 29

11th South Melbourne 26 2 3 8 18 28 5 1 7 11 15 25

12th Wollongong Wolves 26 5 1 7 14 18 0 3 10 7 28 19

13th Sydney Utd 26 1 3 9 22 32 2 3 8 15 29 15

14th Canberra Cosmos 26 1 4 8 12 26 1 2 10 14 30 12

Perth Glory - Monday 18th April 2011

2010/1 Senior Club Stats

24 Allen, John 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.00

17 Anderson, Matt 8 (1) 3 0 0 0 0 0 1 7.22

3 Banks, Ryan 17 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 6.82

- Barbaro, Daniel - - - - - - - - ----

19 Bernier, Nick 15 (1) 3 0 0 0 1 1 0 6.88

4 Bonetti, Ansah 11 2 0 0 2 0 0 1 7.09

25 Bresciano, Chris 24 4 0 1 (1) 3 0 0 4 7.08

10 Byrne, Matthew 16 (4) 4 0 0 2 0 0 2 7.05

23 Catanzaro, Simon 13 (3) 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 6.81

15 Coffey, Sam 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.00

27 Dixon, Brian 18 (1) 1 0 0 0 2 0 0 6.84

13 Edwards, Adrian 5 (3) 2 0 0 1 2 0 1 6.50

14 Farrugia, Eddie - - - - - - - - ----

- Ferguson, Joel - - - - - - - - ----

9 Hall, Con 6 (3) 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 6.56

43 Hughes, Chris - - - - - - - - ----

26 Hunter, Matt 5 (3) 2 0 0 1 1 0 0 6.88

30 Jones, Cameron - - - - - - - - ----

- Josevski, Danny - - - - - - - - ----

2 Mezzino, David 23 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 6.96

5 Milosevic, Matthew 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

31 Molenda, Robbie 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.50

40 Morrison, Shaun 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

16 Moss, Simon 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

32 Murphy, Phil 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

12 Murphy, Tom 3 (2) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.40

6 Murray, Mark 27 2 0 0 2 0 0 1 7.00

21 Ndah, George 6 (3) 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 6.78

28 O'Neill, David 11 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 6.91

20 Pir, Serdar 9 (1) 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 7.00

8 Robertson, Sean 20 (2) 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 6.64

35 Savage, Mark - - - - - - - - ----

33 Smith, Christopher - - - - - - - - ----

7 Starr, Frank 5 (4) 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.78

37 Stojcevski, Adrian 20 4 0 0 1 0 0 2 6.95

18 Sweeney, Steven 5 (1) 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 6.67

34 Thomas, Brett 11 (1) 0 10 0 0 0 0 0 7.33

29 Thomas, Graham 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

22 Thompson, Adrian 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

39 Trimboli, Shane - - - - - - - - ----

1 Woods, Peter 17 (1) 0 13 0 0 0 0 0 7.00

38 Zito, Mike - - - - - - - - ----

</pre>

The offseson's highlights were Peter Eoods finshing third in the NSL Goalkeeper award and Matt Byrne winning the Fan's PoY. As I've mentioned before, the of-seaon in Austrailia is a long one. Therefore, I simply made my training camp longer than usual. Ever since my high school coaching days I had believed in running brutal, intense workouts for the youngsters on my teams (under 26 yrs old). Players hated my camps, but I firmly believed that it improves the kids, especially those with grit and a work ethic. The long break meant I ran my camp from mid Aprilto early Aug,,,,windsprints till four guys puke, and fundalmental drills were the order at my camp. And, for once, I had the idal coaching staff or the job, although they ween't brilliant coaches by any means, they wee all exceptional teachers of the game. With a 47 man roster that averaged a shade over 21 years of age, teaching was needed more than anything. As the winter progressed(I'm finally catching on to the season change, so I should say mu camp took place in the winter!) more and more young players arrived on scouts recommendations. In addition, Chris Bresiano, Tom Murphy and Matt Hunter all signed new contracts. To make room or the players, Ndah, Dixon and Allen were all released and Ndah and Dixon quickly found work in the English lower divisions. With the training camp done in early August, Perth Glory embarked on on a seven game tour of the islands American Samoa, Papua New Guinea and Fiji. The many games on the tour allowed me to test my reserves and see if anyone besides Molenda was ready for the big time. After the tour, we played in the Peth Cup, a small competion I set up for teams in Perth. We, of course won the cup (not to mention the tour games), but Bresiano tore his groin muscle, required surgery and his season was done before it even began. Chris Hughes, a 17 yr old Aus MC joined the first team as I prepared the squad list for the upcoming season.

The2011/12 Perth Glory First First Team *starters at given position will be listeed first

Goalkeepers:- This may be our most improved area of the club. We now have two solid first team keeopers and two quality youngsters in the reserves.

Brett Thomas (20 Aus U21)- A 30K pickup from Oympic Sharks last season. Thomas has emerged as the number one, thanks to the fact there are no real weakness in his game.

Peter Woods(28 Aus)- A good keeper who would be starting except that he is too often out of position.

Adrian Thompson (34 Aus)- Third stringer whose primary job is to coach the youg goalkeepers.

Players to watch: Brett Nardi (18 Aus)- Tremendous young keeper with solid skills. Plenty of upside.

Defenders:- This year the question mark for the club is defense, which features two new starters in central defense.

Ryan Banks(25 Aus 1 DL)- Had a disappionting season last year. He has talent and played well in preseason, so he gets another shot.

Steven Sweeney(24 Aus DL)- solid backup

David Mezzino(24 Aus U21 DR)-Has reasonable skills.

David O'Neil(24 Sco DR)- Has decent skills and works hard. Would probably start if it weren't for the foriegner rule.

John Brown (26 Sco DC)- Came up through Watford's youth system, but in eight years there, rarely got a game. Signed in the off season on a free and has all the skills I look for in my central defenders.

Tom Murphy (21 Aus 2/1)- Good defender for the NSL, No real weakness or strenghs.

Greg Thomas (22 Aus DC)- solid backup

Phil Murphy (21 Aus)- Another equally solid backup. Seems to have good upside.

Midfield:- With the injury to Bresciano, this becomes a slightly suspect. It'll be up to someone to take charge and lead this unit.

Adrian Stojeski(20 Aus LMC)- I'm hoping for a breakout year from this mercurial player. He's got the talent, but needs to use it.

Frank Starr(26 Aus LMC)-Talented player who should be a starter, but he's not a real good teammate.

Sean Robertson(25 Aus U21 Mc)- Had a disappointing season last year, but gets another shot as I think his main problem was that he couldn't handle the pressure of being the team captain.

Shane Thompson(31 Aus MC)- Career NSL backup. Solid in that role. Signed as a free agent in the offseason.

Simon Catanzano(30 Aus RMC)- Reasonahble talent. Good enough to start at any rate.

Chris Hughes(17 Aus RMC)- Solid player, has no real strengths or weaknesses. Could be a good starter in a few years.

Matt Hunter(20 Aus AMC)- A better fit at amc. Has much talent and this could be a breakout year for him.

Ansah Bonetti(29 TTO 9/2 AMC)- Last years suprise is back on the bench. However, if Hunter has to move to foreard then Bonetti will start.

Forwards: The real stength of this club during preseason. Hopefully the good play will carry over to the regular season. It can't be any worse than last year, where at the halfway point of the season the NSL leading goalscorer had more goals than we did!

Nick Bernier(25 Can 5)- Speedy forward can run a 4/40 and can dribble. Will scare the daylights out of defenders.

Matt Anderson(25 American 25 1)- The best dribbler on the club. He's a bit slow for a forward so he breaks down defenses with his feet.

Matt Byne(25 Aus)- Last year's MVP and Fan's POY, he has ungodly scoring instints, and I won't hesitate to use him as a starter.

Robbie Molenda(21 Aus)- Last year's reserve team POY. He can finish and has good instints. Will be a pretty good player down the line.

Player to watch: Sam coffey(20 Aus)- Talented forward could win a spot in the rotation next season.

I'm not too worried about the talent of the first team. However, I do have concerns about the character of many of my players. They are all leaders, but many lack a work ethic and passion. Things could get nasty in the lockerroom if I can't find a captain.

Perth Glory - Saturday 1st October 2011

Squad

No Name Position(s) Nat Born Age Caps Gls Wages Expires Value

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14 Anderson, Matt S C USA 28.11.85 25 1 - £10K 23.6.15 £110K

- Baker, Joseph D L AUS 4.8.91 20 - - £8K 28.6.13 £10K

3 Banks, Ryan D L AUS 20.3.86 25 1 - £30K 20.6.13 £50K

- Barbaro, Daniel S C AUS 6.6.94 17 - - £10K 5.6.14 £40K

19 Bernier, Nick S C CAN 13.11.85 25 5 - £9K 11.6.14 £100K

4 Bonetti, Ansah F C TTO 28.11.81 29 9 2 £35K 16.6.14 £22K

24 Bresciano, Chris M C AUS 12.1.84 27 - - £9K 8.6.14 £55K

20 Brown, John D C SCO 4.4.85 26 - - £9K 8.6.14 £35K

- Byrne, Brad AM/F C AUS 17.9.94 17 - - £5K 24.6.15 £18K

10 Byrne, Matthew S C AUS 23.2.86 25 - - £30K 10.6.12 £60K

15 Catanzaro, Simon F RLC AUS 1.2.81 30 - - £35K 19.6.13 £55K

- Coffey, Sam S C AUS 17.10.90 20 - - £20K 17.6.12 £22K

- Donovan, Stephen SW/D C AUS 20.4.92 19 - - £8K 15.6.13 £10K

- Dugas, Chris D C CAN 24.1.94 17 - - £9K 28.6.15 £16K

17 Edwards, Adrian M C AUS 22.5.90 21 - - £16K 18.6.13 £18K

- Farrugia, Eddie D C AUS 16.11.93 17 - - £5K 3.6.14 £14K

- Farrugia, Gary S C AUS 22.8.93 18 - - £7K 26.6.14 £28K

- Ferguson, Joel M RC AUS 9.6.91 20 - - £8K 13.6.13 £14K

- Galea, Simon AM C AUS 3.11.93 17 - - £9K 9.6.13 £16K

- Hall, Robert DM C AUS 23.5.92 19 - - £9K 14.6.15 £35K

- Harrison, Joel GK AUS 21.11.93 17 - - £10K 6.6.14 £14K

26 Hughes, Chris M C AUS 22.9.93 18 - - £5K 1.6.14 £24K

9 Hunter, Matt F C AUS 15.9.91 20 - - £10K 10.6.14 £130K

- Jones, Cameron F RLC AUS 20.7.91 20 - - £8K 11.6.13 £22K

- Josevski, Danny M C AUS 6.1.92 19 - - £6K 26.6.13 £14K

2 Mezzino, David D RL AUS 3.3.87 24 - - £10K 13.6.14 £50K

6 Milosevic, Matthew D C AUS 20.1.89 22 - - £16K 12.6.12 £9K

25 Molenda, Robbie F C AUS 13.2.90 21 - - £10K 28.6.13 £40K

- Morrison, Shaun D R AUS 12.2.93 18 - - £10K 11.6.13 £10K

23 Murphy, Phil SW/D RC AUS 4.3.90 21 - - £14K 20.6.13 £20K

5 Murphy, Tom SW/D C AUS 6.1.90 21 2 1 £12K 10.6.14 £90K

- Nardi, Brett GK AUS 7.4.93 18 - - £10K 13.6.13 £18K

12 O'Neill, David D R SCO 19.9.87 24 - - £10K 13.6.13 £22K

8 Robertson, Sean M C AUS 12.11.85 25 - - £35K 1.6.12 £75K

- Savage, Mark D L AUS 20.4.91 20 - - £9K 9.6.13 £10K

- Smith, Christopher AM C AUS 9.6.93 18 - - £9K 7.6.13 £10K

7 Starr, Frank M RC AUS 23.4.85 26 - - £35K 27.6.13 £30K

16 Stojcevski, Adrian AM LC AUS 11.9.91 20 - - £14K 28.6.13 £30K

11 Sweeney, Steven D L AUS 22.2.87 24 - - £14K 17.6.12 £18K

1 Thomas, Brett GK AUS 12.4.91 20 - - £20K 27.6.13 £40K

22 Thomas, Graham D C AUS 10.7.89 22 - - £24K 9.6.13 £28K

21 Thompson, Adrian GK AUS 13.3.77 34 - - £10K 25.6.14 £16K

18 Thompson, Shane M RC AUS 3.5.80 31 - - £9K 25.6.14 £16K

- Trimboli, Shane D C AUS 8.11.92 18 - - £6K 28.6.13 £10K

- Ward, Gary GK AUS 10.3.94 17 - - £7K 3.6.13 £10K

13 Woods, Peter GK AUS 22.2.83 28 - - £28K 25.6.14 £35K

- Zito, Mike DM C AUS 16.1.92 19 - - £10K 6.6.13 £55K

</pre>

The first six games were brutal to say the least, an exercise in frustration as we now langlish in 10th place with a 1-2-3 record. As usual with a young team, inconsistancy has been our hallmark. The only constistantly good performances have been David Mezzino. I've already made some permenant luneup changes. Banks has been dropped to the reserves because he simply can't tackle anyone. Mezzino has slid over to left back and O'Neill and Shaun Morrison are platooning at right back. In addition, Woods will be platooning in goal with Thomas, until a leader has emrgeed on the team. We made some staff changes as well. Adrian Thompson was released when he refused to become a full-time coach and a goalkeeper coach was hired in his stead. Another scout has been hired, bringing the total to five. In regard to player movement, we just signed the usual youngsters. The board seem to be giving me plenty of rope as I've helped them cut costs. The payroll for the first team is 300K a year and the whole 50 man squad runs to 675K or less than what the average player made at Celtic when I was there. The economics are a bitch in Oz. No TV revenue and no prize money. Any money you make is at the gate and the crowds aren't that big, or that willing to buy team merchandise. At least it's essentailly the same around the league. I don't think there's a single "big" successful club in the NSL. I just have to be patient and wait for the lads at Perth to mature into solid players.

We reached the halfway point of the season on fire having gone 6-1-0 over the run. We should have won the lone draw, having had 24 shots on goal 15 on targert, but the Kigz Mike Raeford had a career day in his home park and we ended up drawing 2-2. I'm mystified as to our sucess...some slight roster tinkering seems to have worked. Both Banks and Roberson were released to make room for younger, cheaper players, who, in the long run will perform better. Nick Bernier and Matt Himter are explosive as forwards and the defense seems to have sorted itself out. Whatever it may be, we are looking good right now. It should be a fun second half.

Australian National Soccer League - Friday 16th December 2011

2011/2 Table

1st Northern Spirit 13 5 1 1 12 3 4 2 0 19 5 30

2nd Newcastle UFC 13 5 1 0 20 7 4 1 2 22 19 29

3rd Kingz 13 4 2 1 17 9 4 2 0 11 4 28

4th Olympic Sharks 13 4 1 1 16 11 3 3 1 14 9 25

5th Perth Glory 13 4 2 0 12 7 3 1 3 10 6 24

6th Adelaide City 13 4 3 0 12 5 0 2 4 10 21 17

7th Brisbane Strikers 13 4 0 2 11 8 0 3 4 8 14 15

8th Melbourne Knights 13 2 3 1 10 9 1 3 3 5 9 15

9th Canberra Cosmos 13 3 2 2 15 16 1 1 4 5 12 15

10th South Melbourne 13 3 2 2 17 16 0 3 3 7 11 14

11th Marconi 13 3 1 3 10 12 0 1 5 7 14 11

12th Sydney Utd 13 3 1 2 8 8 0 0 7 6 18 10

13th Parramatta Power 13 3 1 2 8 11 0 0 7 7 22 10

14th Wollongong Wolves 13 2 2 3 8 11 0 0 6 2 12 8

Perth Glory - Friday 16th December 2011

2011/2 Senior Club Stats

14 Anderson, Matt 3 0 0 1 (0) 0 0 0 0 6.33

19 Bernier, Nick 13 7 0 0 3 1 0 2 7.62

4 Bonetti, Ansah 7 3 0 0 4 0 0 0 7.29

24 Bresciano, Chris 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

20 Brown, John 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.83

- Byrne, Brad - - - - - - - - ----

10 Byrne, Matthew 3 (2) 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 6.80

15 Catanzaro, Simon 13 2 0 0 0 1 0 0 7.23

- Coffey, Sam 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

- Dugas, Chris - - - - - - - - ----

17 Edwards, Adrian 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

3 Ferguson, Joel 0 (1) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.00

- Hall, Robert - - - - - - - - ----

- Harrison, Joel - - - - - - - - ----

26 Hughes, Chris 2 (1) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.67

9 Hunter, Matt 12 4 0 0 1 2 0 0 7.17

- Jones, Cameron - - - - - - - - ----

- Kelly, Scott - - - - - - - - ----

- Lyons, Nick - - - - - - - - ----

2 Mezzino, David 13 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 7.31

6 Milosevic, Matthew 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

25 Molenda, Robbie 2 (3) 3 0 0 1 0 0 1 7.00

21 Morrison, Shaun 3 (3) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.50

23 Murphy, Phil 7 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.71

5 Murphy, Tom 8 (1) 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 6.56

12 O'Neill, David 7 0 0 0 3 1 0 1 7.14

- Prentice, Alex - - - - - - - - ----

- Scott, Jamie - - - - - - - - ----

- Smith, Tony - - - - - - - - ----

7 Starr, Frank 5 (4) 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 7.00

16 Stojcevski, Adrian 10 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 6.70

11 Sweeney, Steven 0 (3) 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 6.00

1 Thomas, Brett 11 0 11 0 0 0 0 1 7.45

22 Thomas, Graham 5 (1) 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 7.33

18 Thompson, Shane 2 (1) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.33

13 Woods, Peter 2 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 6.00

- Wright, Matthew - - - - - - - - ----

- Zito, Mike - - - - - - - - ----

</pre>

It was about this time that the Austrailian govt decided to launch an investigation into whether soccer would ever make it big in the country. Being the one manager in Oz with a good int. reutation from my days at Celtic, I was called to testify in frount of the House subcommitee. I offered the opinion thaat Ausssue soccer would never make it big. The league was barely surviving finanacially and there wasn't a decent team in the Oceania region. I offered the following evidence as supporting my claims. The teams are listed by league position and the collumns are aranged: Team name, number of players, average age of team. total payroll, average salary and highest salary.

Northern Spirit: 49, 23.5, 1.1 million, 22K, 55K

Newcastle UFC- 48, 24.5, 975k, 20K, 40K

Football Kingz- 49, 23, 775K, 16k, 60K

Syd. O-Sharks- 50, 22.5, 1.2M, 24K, 55K

Perth Glory- 50, 21, 675K, 12K, 35K

Adelaide City- 48, 22, 525K, 12K, 22K

Brisbane Strikers- 48, 22, 500K, 10K, 12K

Melbourne Knights- 49, 22.5, 675K, 14K, 30K

Canberra Cosmos- 48, 25, 450K, 10K, 16K

South Melbourne- 48, 22, 525K, 10K, 14k

Marconi Stallions- 49, 23, 500K, 10K, 12K

Sydney United- 49, 25, 525k, 10K, 20K

Paramatta Power- 50, 21.5, 525K, 10K, 20K

Wollogong- (Semi Pro)- 50, 23, 550k, 12K, 20K

Take a look and draw your own conclusions.

We continued our winning form in the next seven games, going 4-2-1 over the period. Hunter, Bernier and Mollenda contunued to light goalies up. Chris Bresiano returned to traing after his surgery and should be back in time for the playoffs. David Mezzino, who had suffered a torn groin mucsle as well two months earier, also returned to training and should be able to play the last couple of games in the regular season. We clinched a place in the playoffs, so now the only question is what place we'll finish. Mostly likely, it will be somewhere between 3rd and 5th. Northern Spirit are running away with the league, thanks to phenominal goalkeeping by thier 16 yr old keeper who has conceded 8 goals in 20 games. The kid is a stone wall, that's for damn sure. As far as Perth players go, Adrian Stoljeski became the first of "my" youth players to go bust. He was released after a disappointing timespn at the club, but has already signed with Saturn, a minor league club in Perth.

We were a hot team and we would not be denied. The last six games of the season were scorchrers as the weather turned cooler. We went on a 4-2-0 run that saw us sneak into second place and finsh there, two points ahead of Newcastle UFC. The NSL playoffs loomed and I found mysel anticipating the playoffs with glee as I hadn't really been in one for over ten years. The NSL playoff structure is a bit odd. The number one and number two team play a two leg series and the winner goes to the championship game. While that is in progess, nubers 3-6 and 4-5 play a one and done mini tourney. The winner of that faces the loser of the 1-2 series and the winer plays in the grand final against the winner of the 1-2 matchup.

This structure meant that we would have to play two legs against Northern Spirit, who had conceded just 16 goals all season and whose 16 yr old goalie was in contgention for Keeper of the Year. We had only conceded 19 goals all year and our 20 yr old keeoper, Brett Thomas, was battling Spirit's Murco for the KOTY award. It promised to be a tight series and it was that. The first leg was held in Sydney and was a crackin match. Hunter scored to open things up...they equalized. We scored to open the second half and they drew level on 85. It was a tough battle, but we had two away goals and felt good about the result. The second leg was played at Perth and was a copy of the first game. We scored to start and they equalized in the second half. The score ended 1-1 with us going through on that vital second away goal. That put us into the final, while Spirit had to beat Newcastle, which they did to force a rematch in the championship game. Since Spirit had finished first in the league, the game was played at thirer place. The game started out as a tight game and the goaglies were on formm as the first half ended. The second half looked to be the same until Spirit's veteran forwards exploited our young defense and scored 2 goals. The game ended 2-0.

I wasn't overly dissapointed. We had done much better than expected and Spirit were the class of the league. Thier manager Branko Culina, played an unsual 5-3-2 in which thwe center defender moved up on offense and the two forwardds split wifde into winger positions on offense. in retrospect, I should have hafd my fullbacks play man defense on the forwards, while having the central defenfers play zone in the middle. It's an idea to keep in mind for next season. As it is, the players are ready for the break.

Team Awards, Final league standings and stats:

Biggest Suprise- Graham Thomas, slated to be a baclup, played his way into the lineup and didn't have a bad game til the final.

Biggest Disappointment- Matt Anderson- The American forward was **** in three starts at the beginning of the year and was buried on the depth chart.

Most consistant player-Brett Thomas, the goalkeeper played in all but two games and never had a bad game.

Newcomer of the Year- Tony Smith. 17 yr old youth signing in the middle of the season just tore apart the reserve defenses he faced.

Reserve Player of the Year- Sam Coffey, the fororward had a hell of a year as a reserve forward. He'll be in the rotation next year.

Team MVP- Brett Thomas- The young keeper conceded few goals and was a rock.

Players moving on: Starr, Byrne, Anderson, Milosovic and Sweeney.

Tjhank God and Greyhound He's Gone: Sean <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre><pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre>Robertson- eigmatic player had talent and leadership ability, but couldn't play and couldn't inspire.

Australian National Soccer League - Wednesday 16th May 2012

2011/2 Table

1st Q Northern Spirit 26 10 2 1 29 7 8 4 1 32 9 60

2nd Q Perth Glory 26 9 4 0 25 9 6 3 4 21 10 52

3rd Q Newcastle UFC 26 9 2 2 42 21 6 3 4 33 30 50

4th Q Kingz 26 6 4 3 25 18 8 3 2 24 17 49

5th Q Olympic Sharks 26 7 2 4 30 21 7 4 2 29 20 48

6th Q Adelaide City 26 7 5 1 24 13 2 4 7 17 32 36

7th Marconi 26 8 1 4 27 22 3 1 9 17 30 35

8th Wollongong Wolves 26 6 2 5 14 18 2 2 9 14 25 28

9th Melbourne Knights 26 3 4 6 19 23 3 5 5 11 16 27

10th Parramatta Power 26 5 5 3 19 21 2 1 10 17 30 27

11th Canberra Cosmos 26 6 3 4 26 27 1 2 10 16 38 26

12th South Melbourne 26 4 4 5 23 24 0 7 6 11 21 23

13th Brisbane Strikers 26 5 3 5 20 20 0 4 9 13 30 22

14th Sydney Utd 26 4 3 6 16 24 1 1 11 13 31 19

Perth Glory - Wednesday 16th May 2012

2011/2 Senior Club Stats

19 Bernier, Nick 25 9 0 0 4 1 0 4 7.20

4 Bonetti, Ansah 14 (1) 5 0 0 5 0 0 0 7.27

24 Bresciano, Chris 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.00

20 Brown, John 13 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.77

10 Byrne, Matthew 3 (7) 2 0 0 0 1 0 0 6.90

15 Catanzaro, Simon 28 3 0 0 3 2 1 0 7.04

- Coffey, Sam 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

17 Edwards, Adrian 2 (1) 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 6.67

3 Ferguson, Joel 4 (4) 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 7.00

26 Hughes, Chris 5 (1) 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.83

9 Hunter, Matt 28 11 0 0 4 2 0 3 7.57

- Jones, Cameron - - - - - - - - ----

- La Stella, Jamie - - - - - - - - ----

2 Mezzino, David 17 0 0 0 4 1 0 0 7.12

6 Milosevic, Matthew 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

25 Molenda, Robbie 16 (4) 8 0 0 4 2 0 3 7.15

21 Morrison, Shaun 7 (4) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.91

23 Murphy, Phil 21 (1) 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 6.86

5 Murphy, Tom 11 (2) 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 6.38

8 Nardi, Brett 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

12 O'Neill, David 23 0 0 0 5 2 0 1 6.83

7 Starr, Frank 12 (7) 3 0 0 1 1 0 0 6.95

11 Sweeney, Steven 1 (4) 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 6.40

1 Thomas, Brett 27 0 22 0 0 0 0 1 7.59

22 Thomas, Graham 20 (1) 0 0 0 2 3 0 1 7.05

18 Thompson, Shane 11 (3) 2 0 0 2 2 1 2 7.07

13 Woods, Peter 2 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 6.00

- Zito, Mike - - - - - - - - ----

</pre>

As is generally the case in Austrailia, the offseason was long and relatively boring. My intense training camp opened in early May and ended August 1. During that timeframe there was little excitement. Brett Thomas set a team record for highest rating (7.61) in a season and rigtfully won the NSL Goalkeeper of the year award. Matt Hunter was named the Fan's POY and played for the Austrailia team that finished third in the Olympics. Other than that, most of the news was from outside Austrailia. As a Toffee fan, I was pleased to see the Liiverhearts regeleted from the EPL. In addition, there wrre the usual big names moving somewhere. Mark Viduka signed with Kingz as a coach(not a player, thank God). Annelka moved for the upteenth time and Micheal Owen went to Celtic. Then, just before preseason, a shockwave hit Perth. Glorymania hit the town as fans snapped up season tickets and merchandise in droves, swelling the bank balance to heights not seen in years. As the money poured in, the board authorized me to spend up to 750,000 pounds for transfers and allowed me to offer up to 35K in salaries. It was a heady time, but the enthusism was tempered by a struggling preaseason. This year I scheduled three games in New Zealand, three in the Cook Islands, two games at home and the Perth Cup. The games in NZ were tough affairs and we actually lost the last game there, 1-0 to Christchurch. TheCook Islands games were a walkover, as were the two home games agaist the Perth "Striling" teams. However, the Perth Cup was a different story as we lost in the first round to Baywater City on penalties, but we beat Perth SC to take third. It was about this time that I decided to spend some cash. I had had my eye on a young forward named Jim Faruglia of Paramatta Power who was only 22 and already had four caps for the Socceroos. 220K and a large signing bonus and the kid became a member of Perth Glory. He;ll start at the RMC slot to begin the season.

The usual squad assement is next. I think I'll expediate them by commenting only on new members of the first team.

2012/13 Perth Glory first team:

This is a solid group who have been starting together for the most part for a couple of years. If Jim can mesh with his new teammates quickly, this should be a good season. All the board want is a decent league position, so no problems there.

Goalkeepers:

Brett Thomas(21 Aus U21)-Best keeper in the league last season.

Peter Woods (29 Aus)

Defenders:

David Mezzino (25 Aus U21 DL)

Stephen Hill(26 NI DL)- Competant backup who was signed in the offseason.

Phil Murphy(22 Aus)- Used last year as a utility back, gets the nod as a starter this season.

David O'Neill(25 Sco DR)

John Brown(27 Sco DC)

Graham Thomas(23 Aus DC)- Played his way into the lineup and never left.

Kai Lambert(31 Aus)- left sided utility back who should provide solid cover. Signed as a free agent in the offseason.

Tom Murphy (24 Aus DC)

Midfielders:

Chris Bresiano(28 Aus LMC)

Adrian Edwards(22 Aus LMC)

Shane Thompson 32 Aus MC)

Chris Hughes(19 Aus MC)

Jim Faruglia(23 Aus 4 RMC)- Can do it all except score goals. I'm looking for him to have a strong season.

Joel Ferguson (21 Aus RMC)- Came up at the half and had a strong second half.

Ansah Bonetti(30 TTO 19/2 AMC)

Simon Catanzarro(31 Aus AMC)

Forwards:

Nick Bernier(26 can 7)

Matt Hunter (21 Aus U21)

Robbie Mollenda(22 Aus)

Sam Coffey(21 Aus)- Smoked the reserves last year, so gets into the rotation this year.

Thre first six games of the season were inconsistant to say the least. We opened on the road to Newcastle and got our lunch handed to us 2-0 as players just played subparly. I don't know why they played so badly, maybe it was the pressure of starting the season on the road at a good team. However, the loss didn't get the team down as they finished the stretch 4-1-0. Some minor lineup adjustments occured as Bonetti and Faruglia switched positions. Then, four games in, Bonetti was released due to subpar performance and the need to sign more talented youth players. In addition, for the first time since I arrived at Perth, I had to cut reserve players who couldn't cut the mustard to make room for new players. Barbayaro(lazy SOB), Cameron Jones and Danny Josevski were all released. Otheer than that, little occurred. We srrm to have worked out the kinks and should contend for the championshiop. In addition, I'm becoming more and more convinced that managing a lower league team is easier and more enjoyable than managing Celtic ever was...CL title or no.

At the halfway mark of the season, we are clucking. We are now in first place for the first time in my tenure as manager. However, many of the backup players won't be around to enjoy it. With three reserve players having strong seasons, I decided to release several foriegn backups and a couple of role players. This will allow me to sign more outstanding youth talent and allow me to sign young foriegn talent. Thanks to many contracts being renegioated, the salary balance has increaded somewhat, meaning that we have to win to afford the increases in the long haul. I hope we can continue the good play we've exhibted so far. We should be able to do so, if our young backups gel quickly.

Australian National Soccer League - Saturday 22nd December 2012

2012/3 Table

1st Perth Glory 13 4 3 0 11 5 3 1 2 7 6 25

2nd Newcastle UFC 13 4 0 2 12 5 3 3 1 18 12 24

3rd Sydney Utd 13 4 2 0 11 4 2 2 3 7 7 22

4th Kingz 14 5 2 1 9 3 1 2 3 6 7 22

5th Adelaide City 13 3 2 1 9 6 3 2 2 10 10 22

6th Marconi 13 3 2 2 12 11 3 1 2 14 14 21

7th Olympic Sharks 13 4 1 2 14 8 2 1 3 10 11 20

8th Northern Spirit 13 2 3 1 6 4 3 1 3 10 9 19

9th Parramatta Power 14 3 3 2 12 10 2 0 4 8 10 18

10th South Melbourne 14 2 1 3 6 11 3 2 3 13 13 18

11th Brisbane Strikers 13 3 2 2 13 13 0 2 4 5 10 13

12th Melbourne Knights 13 1 1 5 8 13 2 2 2 5 8 12

13th Canberra Cosmos 14 2 0 4 10 13 1 2 5 7 17 11

14th Wollongong Wolves 13 1 2 3 11 17 0 3 4 3 10 8

*********************************************************************************************

Perth Glory - Saturday 22nd December 2012

2012/3 Senior Club Stats

9 Bernier, Nick 13 3 0 0 5 0 0 0 7.08

4 Bresciano, Chris 9 (2) 1 0 1 (1) 1 0 0 0 6.45

18 Catanzaro, Simon 9 2 0 0 1 1 0 0 7.22

19 Coffey, Sam 0 (1) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.00

22 Farrugia, Jim 13 7 0 1 (1) 0 3 0 4 7.54

16 Ferguson, Joel 3 (3) 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 6.83

12 Hughes, Chris 7 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 6.71

- Hughes, Steven - - - - - - - - ----

10 Hunter, Matt 12 3 0 0 3 2 0 3 7.50

- Knezevic, Michael - - - - - - - - ----

11 Lammert, Kai 1 (1) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.00

- Lyons, Christopher - - - - - - - - ----

- MacDonald, Mile - - - - - - - - ----

- McDonald, Glen - - - - - - - - ----

3 Mezzino, David 13 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 7.00

- Mitchell, Peter - - - - - - - - ----

17 Molenda, Robbie 1 (4) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.40

- Morrison, Shaun 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

21 Murphy, Phil 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.00

6 Murphy, Tom 8 0 0 0 2 0 0 1 7.00

- North, Sam - - - - - - - - ----

- Sterjovski, Tony - - - - - - - - ----

13 Thomas, Brett 10 0 8 0 0 0 0 0 6.80

5 Thomas, Graham 13 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 7.15

15 Thompson, Shane 7 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.57

- Trimboli, Joe - - - - - - - - ----

1 Woods, Peter 3 (2) 0 3 0 0 0 0 0 6.40

</pre>

The second half of the season was a dream as all three of the reservees I brought up at midseason found themselves starting. Scott Kelly in defense pugged up a weak link along with perennial prospect Shauan Morrison. At forward, Nick Bernier found himself shouved aside by reserve phenom (12 games 10 goals a 8.40) Tony Smith, who quickly proved he could play. Add to that, solid play by first year full-time starters Chris Hughes and Joel Ferguson, and we were a solid team. We survived the next 13 games to finish in first place against a late charge by Spirit who finished second, two points benind us. Unfortunately, we began the playoffs in bad injiry shape, as a couple of starters and key backups were inured. Thus, we did not do well in the first round of the playoffs. We mangaged to beat Spirit at home, 3-2, thanks to late goals by Ferguson and Hughes, but couldn't win the series. In the second leg, held in Sydney, Phil Murphy kicked the ball past Thomas for an own goal...and that was all she wrote as Spirit played tight the rest of the way to win on away goals. We weren't done, however, as we had the chance to play Kigz to see who would play Spirit in the championship. Kigz goalkeeper Nick Raeburn had always been tough against Glory and we expected more of the same even though the game was to be played in Perth. The prediction held true as Kigz scored at the 8 minute mark and then stonewalled us for the next 50 minutes...then at the 60 minute mark...Rareburn was sent off and Fargulia buried the penalty. The game ended 1-1 and then extra time was in order. Halftime of extra time came and went and then Catanzaro got open, sighted and scored on 117 to give us the victory and to set up the rematch with Spirit. The match for the League Title was held four days later. It was a nailbiter at first, but Fargulia and Smith each scored to give us the 2-0 win. Perth Glory had finally won a title for the first time in the 36 year history of the NSL. I was proud of the young lads. They had proved they were men.

******************************************************************************************

Australian National Soccer League - Wednesday 8th May 2013

2012/3 Table

1st Q Perth Glory 26 7 5 1 19 10 7 2 4 22 11 49

2nd Q Northern Spirit 26 7 5 1 20 7 6 3 4 20 14 47

3rd Q Newcastle UFC 26 7 2 4 24 15 6 4 3 27 19 45

4th Q Kingz 26 7 4 2 14 7 5 3 5 15 14 43

5th Q Marconi 26 7 3 3 26 18 4 6 3 27 24 42

6th Q Adelaide City 26 5 4 4 16 16 6 4 3 20 15 41

7th Olympic Sharks 26 9 1 3 23 13 3 4 6 20 27 41

8th Melbourne Knights 26 5 3 5 21 20 6 3 4 15 15 39

9th Sydney Utd 26 7 5 1 21 11 2 5 6 10 14 37

10th Brisbane Strikers 26 4 4 5 19 26 4 2 7 20 24 30

11th Parramatta Power 26 6 3 4 22 18 2 1 10 11 24 28

12th South Melbourne 26 4 3 6 12 23 3 4 6 17 21 28

13th Canberra Cosmos 26 2 3 8 16 28 1 3 9 9 28 15

14th Wollongong Wolves 26 2 3 8 18 29 0 4 9 8 21 13

2012/3 Senior Club Stats

- Bennett, Milan - - - - - - - - ----

9 Bernier, Nick 23 (1) 4 0 0 5 0 0 0 6.83

4 Bresciano, Chris 13 (5) 2 0 2 (2) 3 1 0 0 6.67

- Carter, Stephen - - - - - - - - ----

18 Catanzaro, Simon 25 4 0 0 3 4 1 0 6.96

- Cattermole, Paul - - - - - - - - ----

- Cervantes, Todd - - - - - - - - ----

19 Coffey, Sam 1 (2) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.67

- Dunne, Ian - - - - - - - - ----

22 Farrugia, Jim 26 14 0 3 (3) 0 6 0 4 7.35

16 Ferguson, Joel 18 (4) 2 0 0 7 1 0 1 6.95

- Henderson, Paul - - - - - - - - ----

12 Hughes, Chris 22 (1) 2 0 0 3 1 0 2 7.04

- Hughes, Steven - - - - - - - - ----

10 Hunter, Matt 26 5 0 0 3 2 0 4 7.19

14 Kelly, Scott 8 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 7.13

- Knezevic, Michael - - - - - - - - ----

11 Lammert, Kai 3 (5) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.25

- Lyons, Christopher - - - - - - - - ----

- MacDonald, Mile - - - - - - - - ----

- McDonald, Glen - - - - - - - - ----

3 Mezzino, David 25 0 0 0 3 0 0 2 7.12

- Mitchell, Peter - - - - - - - - ----

17 Molenda, Robbie 4 (9) 2 0 0 3 0 0 2 7.00

2 Morrison, Shaun 13 (1) 0 0 0 2 1 0 0 6.93

21 Murphy, Phil 18 (2) 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 6.65

6 Murphy, Tom 15 (1) 0 0 0 3 0 0 1 6.63

- North, Sam - - - - - - - - ----

8 Smith, Tony 10 (4) 6 0 0 0 0 0 2 7.43

- Sterjovski, Tony - - - - - - - - ----

13 Thomas, Brett 27 0 22 0 0 0 0 0 7.00

5 Thomas, Graham 29 4 0 0 0 4 0 1 7.24

- Thomas, Michael 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

15 Thompson, Shane 8 (4) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.50

- Trimboli, Joe - - - - - - - - ----

- Walker, Scott - - - - - - - - ----

1 Woods, Peter 3 (2) 0 3 0 0 0 0 0 6.40

</pre>

The Awards:

Official Awards: I won the NSL's Manager of the Year.

Team Awards:

Biggest Suprise: Scott Kelly- The 19 yr old defender was on the roster, snuck into the starting lineup and performed well.

Biggest Disppointment: Chris Bersiano- The ijuries have caught up with him and I don't think he'll ever be a regular starter again.

Reserve Player of Year: Matt Wright- A smooth midfielder, he should crack the rotation next season.

Best Newcomer- Jim Faruglia- A hell a of a player,,,the team's leading goalscorer.

Team MVP- Faruglia- Scored many clutch goals and was the glue of the team.

When I set out to write this account, my goal was to win a league title. Having achieved this aim, I'm ending this story. I intend to manage in the game until 2030- giving me a 30 year career. Therefore, if I move to a lower league team that inspires me to write, I may be back with another story. I hope you've enjoyed this piece; I know I've enjoyed writing it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived