Struggling and poor goalkeeping

In the beta, I started a game with a friend. I am MK Dons, he is Sheffield Wednesday. I started very well, well above expectations with MK Dons. Around February, I was in the playoffs spots. Then, my starting goalkeeper, best creative midfielder, and leading goalscorer all got hurt for the rest of the season. My backup goalie was atrocious and barely saved any shots (literally) and I started losing nearly every single game. I slid all the way down to 16th when the season finished. I bought Gomes from Watford who should be a very good goalie at the Championship level. I also bought Jak Alnwick as my backup incase Gomes got hurt. Alnwick seems capable based on attributes. So we begin the next year, I start very well and look like a genuine contender, dominating my first few games. Then Gomes gets hurt for 3-4 months. I have a whole host of other injuries happen too including both my RBs and my best LB and best CD. I put in Alnwick and just like my backup last season, he seems to be completely incapable of goalkeeping. The thing I don't understand is he is a professional keeper but he'll make the most ridiculous mistakes and allows very soft goals. So because of this, I sign free agent Rob Elliot (previously of Newcastle). He lets shots in at the near post and barely moves if the ball isn't right at him. So again, I lose about 3 out of every 4 games I play and plummet. I try to give Alnwick another go. The other team gets a 35 yard free kick which they kick right at him but he backs literally back into the back of the net so when he attempts to save the ball, its already crossed the line and he just bats it into the underside of the net.....I was just like "Seriously?" I mean he's a professional but these are errors even a Sunday league goalie doesn't commit. Finally Gomes returns. His first game back, we take a 2-0 lead by half time. Second half, they lob a short through ball to the left side of the box. Gomes stands at the top of the 6 and just turns his body. He doesn't shuffle to reposition and guard the near post at all and the attacker passes it in from the byline at the near post. Again, not even a Sunday league player makes that mistake. Then a cross is sent in and my CD has a relatively easy play at it but instead he slides to kick it and taps it into the back of my net. It's like a few inches to the side of Gomes but Gomes doesn't even attempt to move. So I draw. I'm in 16th still. I've tried team talks, I've tried different players, Ive tried different tactics but I can't seem to figure out a way to turn it around. What's worse is the goals I'm allowing are so ridiculous that I can't see how tactics can fix them. Also, the shots I'm missing are absurd too. Crosses to the 6, wide open tap in that hits right at the goalie. Then I concede 35 yard free kicks and put it in my own net on a straight forward play. Does anyone have any advice? Also, any thing that might make my goalies stop playing like amateurs other than "sign a new goalie"?

Archived