Buying from a rival

Is it possible? I'm wondering if there's some sort of standard multiplier. For example - I'm playing as Liverpool and John Stones is transfer listed at Everton with an asking price of £29m. No one else is interested aside from me. Yet any bid I offer is turned down, even if it's over the asking. If I bid £35m, they will reject it and then on his transfer page the asking price will have gone from £29m to £35m.

I understand it's realistic that Everton would never want to sell their best player to Liverpool. But if they've transfer listed him, and I'm offering over the asking, there has to come a stage where they accept surely?

Is it possible? I'm wondering if there's some sort of standard multiplier. For example - I'm playing as Liverpool and John Stones is transfer listed at Everton with an asking price of £29m. No one else is interested aside from me. Yet any bid I offer is turned down, even if it's over the asking. If I bid £35m, they will reject it and then on his transfer page the asking price will have gone from £29m to £35m.

I understand it's realistic that Everton would never want to sell their best player to Liverpool. But if they've transfer listed him, and I'm offering over the asking, there has to come a stage where they accept surely?

There will be a point where they will accept a bid from you, but you obviously haven't gone far enough over their asking price to get them to overlook the fact that you're their most hated team.

In FM15 I bought Alex Mowatt from Leeds whilst manager of Sheffield Wednesday. The only thing negative about it where the Wednesday fans who didn't like the fact I'd signed a player from a rival club, however they soon changed their tune after he started to put in some good performances.

I've noticed this in previous FM's; its highly unlikely you will get a player in that scenario. The only would be if the player has fallen out with the club in a bad way or his ability or performances have diminished to the point where they don't class him as a good player. If they don't want to sell to Man United or Chelsea, they sure as hell aren't going to sell to Liverpool.

Not impossible when you think of the likes of Tevex going from Utd - City (although not really the same thing as a 3rd party involved) & Figo going from Real to Barca, but if FM is meant to be a realistic game you have to think of it in real life terms. I think even if L'pool offered them £50m for Stones they would still say no. You also have to think about the player - how much does he love Everton? Would he be willing to move across Merseyside where the Toffess fans would make his life hell - he still has to live in the city as well remember.

Think about some of the below scenarios and how realistic they would happen in real life.

Kane to Arsenal

Ronaldo or Bale to Barca

Any Man City player to United

Depay, Smalling, De Gea or Mata to City

Ozil or Sanchez to Chelsea

Probably extreme examples, but I'm about 95% sure none of the above woud ever happen IRL.

I'm playing as Liverpool, Pre-Season second season I just signed both Stones & Lukaku for a combined £127m. Prices were well overpriced but had a big windfall as sold a lot of deadwood and kept spending to a minimum in the first season.

It is possible to sign these players but at very inflated prices. I had a kitty of £175m to spend so I went for them both.

Archived