Need help in Understanding how Training Multiple Tactics Works

Hi all - I'm new to the whole FM thing, and despite doing a fair bit of research there are a couple of questions about the Tactic Creator I can't find an exact answer to. It's regarding the best way to train multiple tactics within the tactics creator.

Q1 - Let's say my main Tactic #1 is a 4-4-2 formation with a Control mentality, fast tempo and more direct passing. I'm up 2-0 at the end of the game and just want to hang on for a win. Should I be sticking with Control and just reducing the tempo and using shorter passing/retain possession, or should I be going to something like a 4-4-2 Defensive mentality instead? Or maybe even a defensive 4-5-1 formation to close out the match? Or do it any way I like, and it's just personal choice?

Q2 - Should my Tactic #2 in the creator be the defensive version of my main attacking 4-4-2 formation (depending on the answer to Q1, either a 4-4-2 Control mentality with lower tempo and shorter passing, or a Defensive mentality), or maybe a different defensive 4-5-1 version? I guess I'm asking whether I can train all types of mentalities and shouts for a particular formation (such as the 4-4-2) within Tactic #1, or should I be making Tactic #1 the aggressive version of the 4-4-2 formation, and Tactic #2 the defensive version of the formation?

At the moment I've been using Tactic #1 for a 4-4-2, Tactic #2 for a 4-1-3-2 (for example), and then trying to train a control mentality and a counter mentality with appropriate TI's for each within Tactic #1, and a control mentality and counter mentality with appropriate TI's for each within Tactic #2, but I'm not sure this is the best method.

Sorry if this appears blindingly obvious, but all the stuff I've found talks about changing tactics to hang on for a win, and training multiple tactics to have different options for different teams, but never seems to mention exactly how this particular mechanic of training multiple tactics is best performed.

Cheers.

Depends who you're playing as and who you are playing against. Also depends on the quality of your players. Some teams work better with keeping possession to see a game out whereas others play better with defending for their lives. Personally I prefer retaining possession high up the pitch to see a game out but I have the players to do that

Archived