Project Poch

Hi, guys.

I'm into season three of my Fuham save on FM16 and doing OK by my own standards by winning champinonship in seson 1 and surviving in PL season 2. So far I've played a counter-attacking style, sitting back and hitting teams on the counter.

Now however, i'd like to play a bit more ambitious.

I really like Pochettino's playstyle and have decided to try and make a pochettino inspired tactic and maybe you guys can give me some input along the way.

In my understanding Pochettino pays an intense high pressing game with a high defensive line.

In attack he wants fluid movement from the front 4, with one winger operating as an inside forward who contributes with goals (J.Rodrigez/E.Lamela) and the other winger more a creator (Llallana/Eriksen). He also employs attacking fullbacks to overlap the wingers.

One of the central midfielders are expected to stay back at all times coming deep to collect the ball between splitting CB's. The other CM has more license to join attacks.

Inspiration:

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2015/07/22/mauricio-pochettino/

http://www.spursfanatic.com/blog/mauricio-pochettino-change-spurs-midfield/

1) Formation and roles:

4-4-1-1

Many of you would argue that Pochettino plays a 4-2-3-1, but I strongly feel that we need our wide midfielders to contribute more defensively and in possesion the 4-4-1-1 will operate as a 4-2-3-1 anyway.

PochTactics__zpszopwrsxr.png

Roles:

SK(d): We are playing a high pressing, high line, so the keeper needs to be able to deal with trough balls. IRL Lloris plays this role i my opinion.

FB(a): I want my fullbacks to join in attack, so on the right I've chosen a FB(a). The idea is for him to attack the space left by the WM(s) in front of him.

CB(d): Both CB are left as regular center backs

WB(s): Provides a wide passing option as the WM(a) in front of him cuts insde like a IF.

WM(s): Have modified this position to operate as a WP(a). Originally played with a WP here, but that focused distribution to much for my liking.

DLP(d): The Defensive CM. Stays back at all times and collects balls from defenders.

CM(s): Chose a standard CM role for this midfielder. Could also consider BBM(S).

WM(a): PIs to play as an IF.

AM(a): Maybe the most difficult role for me. Chose a AM(a) as I don't want a static role here. AM(a) will alo contribute with goals.

CF(s): Think a CF(s) best simulates the Harry Kane role. Will roam and hopefully leave space for the WM(a) and AM(a) to run into. Also scores goals.

Instructions:

I play Control/Flexible as control is quite aggressive in terms of tempo/pressing/risk and Flexible give a nice balance between movement and keeping shape.

-More closing down is essential in my opinion if I want to plat a Pochettino style.

-Play out of defense as the attacks are bulit from the back if we don't win the ball back on the oppositions half.

-Work ball into box to prevent unnecessary long shots.

-Prevent short GK distr. contributes to the high press.

Tactics_-2_zpsnbgbkmy4.png

Hope for some feedback to this tactic.

I will update this thread with results and progress.

So far it seems to perform quite OK, but I'm struggling a bit to score goals and not surprisingly I'm a bit vulnerable to counter attacks.

Ok, I think we have to agree to disagree on that one. From what I have seen in Spurs matches the latest seasons, I would definitely say that Lloris is much more aggressive off his line than a standard keeper. He is not as offensive as Neuer, but I don't think anyone else is. In FM terms, Neuer would probably be a SK(a) and I don't think I'm far off by claiming that Lloris is a SK(d).

I could off course be wrong.

Match observations:

I'm now halfway into the season and performing quite well with this tactic.

I'm currently 8th in the Premier League and I'm happy with that.

Not made any significant changes to the tactic except adding "offside trap" instruction. This instruction has however helped a lot! Opposition striker now frequently run into offside position rather than getting clear behind my defence.

Here are some in game pictures:

Fulham%20Attck%20ex_zpsgikdfyuf.png

This is going forward.

You can see the WB overlaps the WM(a) who sits narrower.

There is also a lot of space on the opposite side and ideally I would like the opposite WM to tuck into that space.

I'm very happy with how this looks as it is quite similar to what I'm trying to replicate.

Fulham%20v%20Leicester_%20Pitch%20Full-3_zpspa7vrqre.png

This is established defense.

We defend quite nicely i two banks of four. I'm a bit worried by Leicester's AM as I suspect that if he receives the ball, my LCB will move up to close him down and leave space behind for the striker to exploit.

Fulham%20v%20Leicester_%20Pitch%20Full-4_zpsednpit5c.png

This is not good. My WB chooses to move up and their striker is running in behind and receives the through ball.

This situation actually resulted in a goal for Leicester and I will have to be alert for similar incidents in the future. However all tactics have weaknesses and through balls is one of the dangers I'm aware of when we play a high pressing game.

If you think about Poch's Spurs team, there's Dier and Ali as the central midfielders in the formation.

Dier is definitely the more defensive of the partnership, he's always deep and disciplined, intercepting balls, winning tackles and shielding the defence. He plays like an Anchorman really, whereas Ali is more of a B2B/Roaming playmaker. You could try dropping both your central midfielders to the DM strata and having an Anchorman/Roaming Playmaker partnership?

OR

you could keep them where they are, and have a CM(D) and B2B(s)?

I just think you need to give one of your midfielders a "dirtier" role, a "less glamourous" role of just shielding your back 4 and keeping things simple, and ticking over.

Created a very similar system - I guess its down to interpretation. Few things that I would note (based on how spurs play):

-Your midfield is spot on as is: Dier is currently playing more DLP-D than CM-D. He does keep it simple but also spins out a good few direct balls wide too, sits rather than closes down. If Alli plays in the other CM role, CM-S with get forward works best as he needs to become an option. (Mason plays like BWM-S). Reality is that they could actually alternate, as often Dier may venture forward too.

-The tempo is not super high (and direct) for 90 minutes. Typically Spurs will retain a little more possession in the first 30 mins in each half and take advantage of tired legs in the opposition for the last 15mins.

-When the mentality and tempo is increased the three amigos move more into the AM strata and sit narrower. (AP-S, AM-A, IF-A maybe?)

-When direct, they'll mark tighter, close down much more and get stuck in in (front 4/5)

-Prefer the DLF-A instead of the CF-S, as on A duty I don't think he gets too stranded with the 3 in AM with two on Attack. Kane and Son are the main outlet for goals. In your formation I think CF-S/DLF-S would work.

-There are position swaps happening across the front 4 quite regularly, though would say the swapping has stabilised in last few games and think that Only AP-S and AM-A now swap (Eriksen and Son).

-Would say that spurs play with your two widemen the other way around (maybe this is personnel in your graphic?)- are you using Andros as a creator or a finisher? He's def not a creator at the lane!

As is, what you've created I think is two thirds of the poch equation in my humble opinion, i.e. the first 30 mins of each half. Increasing the intensity by pushing more players into the final third would be more consistent. I'm not sure you can accurately create the 90 minutes without dynamically changing the tactic.

Also worth noting that in practice the tactic will likely struggle against super organised teams Pulis/Allardyce who will be disciplined and defend in numbers. A plan B would be needed!

Hi,

Thank you for that in depth reply.

So if I understand you correctly I should keep my current formation, but maybe lower tempo and add shorter passing the first 35min or so, and keep instructions but change to a 4-2-3-1 when opponents get tired?

That sounds logical, and as you pointed out, I'm strugglig to score against teams who set out to defend.

In terms of fluidity, I can't decide between flexible and fluid. What would you suggest?

"-Would say that spurs play with your two widemen the other way around (maybe this is personnel in your graphic?)- are you using Andros as a creator or a finisher? He's def not a creator at the lane!"

Yes, I have mirrored the Spurs set-up in terms of wide men, but this is just because of the players I have availeble. My IF(a) type is on the left and AP(s) type is on the right in my formation (Like Potch played at Souton with Rodrigez left and Llallana right).

Townsend is utulized as a creator in my set-up, which might not be Ideal, but he was one of the best options availible to me as newly promoted with Fulham.

I have now just started season 4, and have more suitable options in that position (P.Roberts or T.Lemar)

I don't think its a coincidence that in-game Poch (and Klopp for that matter) both seem to use 4411 as their base formation as it means that your wide men are better placed to defend and your wings are protected. Also adding Gets Further Forward to the LM/RM will essentially deliver a better formation when in possession.

For me the flair comes from the front 4 and the front four alone, so I would look at flexible as I find defenders will take more passing risks as this is increased. Maybe look at Roaming and Expression in the PIs for the front 4?

I tend to think about it in terms of a system:

A) An "Attacking" Formation - to press high, grab goals - potentially the 4231

B) A "Balanced/Defending" formation - potentially 4411 - to win the ball back slightly deeper and play more directly - good to conserve energy

C) A "Breakthrough" formation - the Anti-Allardyce/Pullis/Plan B formation - to counteract organised defences maintaining a lot of possession, trying to create movement from deep - currently look at a 4321 with the CM Aggressively pressing and making a triangle.

These will take up my slots in the tactics screen and I will decide the strategy for the match each formation has pros and cons.

Typically it will be:

Home - 0-30 (A); 30-45 (B) 45-75 (A); 75-90 (B)

Away - 0-30 (B); 30-45 (A) 45-75 (B); 75-90 (A)

If I get a 2-0 lead I will look to sit back and counter with B, or if I get an issue breaking down opposition I will use © Home or Away

This is pretty different to what the experts on here say, but building the game plan in such a way feels more authentic in some ways. I find it more rewarding reacting and making minor adjustments.

I think your centre midfielders are wrong, last season both midfielders were box to box midfielders (big reason why we were so defensively frail). This season Dier is playing a lot deeper than Alli, Alli would probably be a box to box midfielder in FM terms (probably chuck get further forward on) while Dier's role doesn't really have a true Fm counterpart. In my Spurs save I replicated it as a 4-2-3-1 asymmetric with Dier as an Anchor man, i think that is pretty close to what it is IRL. I also think that it is a 4-2-3-1 for sure, and that it is important to make sure you have positional swapping and roam more on.

I am talking about the real life aspect and getting it as close to Poch as possible though, I am sure that tactic would be successful in FM terms.

Archived