If This Then That

How useful would the addition of an 'If This Then That' module be for a set of scenarios that frequently occur in-game?

There are many examples, but the more obvious ones would include tactics & transfers:

• You set up your team to begin the match as standard in approach, but if the opposition start throwing men forward, then your team automatically adapts to a counter-attacking style.
    • This could be set against your captain, and the more professional he is, the quicker and better he carries out your orders on the pitch (thinking: Roy Keane here)

[*]You scout a player and if his potential equals 4 stars or more, then automatically add him to your shortlist.

[*]Another teams submits a transfer offer for that same player, then you automatically bid the same.

[*]Player gets a straight red card for dangerous play, then you auto-warn him.

Perhaps this would take away from making considered contextual decisions, and for any ITTT setting that was executed, you'd have to be told about it in your inbox, or maybe you'd need to confirm it.

Just a thought after reading a thread on disciplinary measures against players.

(edit)

Additionally: you could apply this to training: If concede goals in consecutive matches, then switch to defensive training. etc...

How useful would the addition of an 'If This Then That' module be for a set of scenarios that frequently occur in-game?

There are many examples, but the more obvious ones would include tactics & transfers:

• You set up your team to begin the match as standard in approach, but if the opposition start throwing men forward, then your team automatically adapts to a counter-attacking style.
    • This could be set against your captain, and the more professional he is, the quicker and better he carries out your orders on the pitch (thinking: Roy Keane here)

[*]You scout a player and if his potential equals 4 stars or more, then automatically add him to your shortlist.

[*]Another teams submits a transfer offer for that same player, then you automatically bid the same.

[*]Player gets a straight red card for dangerous play, then you auto-warn him.

Perhaps this would take away from making considered contextual decisions, and for any ITTT setting that was executed, you'd have to be told about it in your inbox, or maybe you'd need to confirm it.

Just a thought after reading a thread on disciplinary measures against players.

Seems a little too simplistic. Taking your list, and adding comments...

• How do you quantify "throwing men forward"? I can't see a way you could outline a particular situation and go "if that happens, do this". The situation would either have to be described in punishing detail - probably more detail than the match engine could/should allow - or be extremely woolly, and lead to it acting against your wishes in situations.
  • Same as above, really, but would you really want a captain going out with a list of instructions like that on his mind? Seems like in that situation you would pass the orders down that have changed of your own accord, rather than rely on a captain who is perhaps further away from a player than you on the touchline to communicate these changes based on his own interpretation

• You scout a player and if his potential equals 4 stars or more, then automatically add him to your shortlist.
  • Another teams submits a transfer offer for that same player, then you automatically bid the same.
  • What if they bid a ridiculous amount? What if you don't have the amount they bid?
  • Player gets a straight red card for dangerous play, then you auto-warn him.
  • Similar to the tactical one, "dangerous play" is quite a nebulous concept. I don't think a possibly accidental red card challenge merits the same punishment as a deliberate punch.

So basically, just seems like it would descend into layers and layers of complexity. It might make certain players lives easier, but would probably take hours and hours to set up how you wanted it. In those hours, you could have just done all those things, and still had time to play on. It's not that it's a bad idea, I just don't think it works in this sense.

Thanks for your feedback.

Something like this already exists in the game for accepting transfer bids, so maybe it's just a case of slowly adding more logic across other areas. I just find sections like making notes on players not as useful as it might be without adding some instructions for when something happens in-game.

Also, making your Captain more influential can't be a bad thing I reckon.

I've replied below, thanks again.

Seems a little too simplistic. Taking your list, and adding comments...

• How do you quantify "throwing men forward"? I can't see a way you could outline a particular situation and go "if that happens, do this". The situation would either have to be described in punishing detail - probably more detail than the match engine could/should allow - or be extremely woolly, and lead to it acting against your wishes in situations. Throwing men forward would be changing their approach to 'Attacking' or more.
  • Same as above, really, but would you really want a captain going out with a list of instructions like that on his mind? Seems like in that situation you would pass the orders down that have changed of your own accord, rather than rely on a captain who is perhaps further away from a player than you on the touchline to communicate these changes based on his own interpretation Captains of teams have had more influence in real life than just getting to wear an armband, maybe their determination or leadership should be more clearly represented in the game, I'd just like to see some individuality and impact from my chosen captain in the big games.

• You scout a player and if his potential equals 4 stars or more, then automatically add him to your shortlist.
  • Another teams submits a transfer offer for that same player, then you automatically bid the same.
  • What if they bid a ridiculous amount? What if you don't have the amount they bid? Well obviously this would be guarded against in the module logic, and you'd set limits.
  • Player gets a straight red card for dangerous play, then you auto-warn him.
  • Similar to the tactical one, "dangerous play" is quite a nebulous concept. I don't think a possibly accidental red card challenge merits the same punishment as a deliberate punch. A punch is clearly dangerous play, as is a two-footed challenge, whilst a straight red for being the last man is not, the game already makes this clear in the commentary.

So basically, just seems like it would descend into layers and layers of complexity. It might make certain players lives easier, but would probably take hours and hours to set up how you wanted it. In those hours, you could have just done all those things, and still had time to play on. It's not that it's a bad idea, I just don't think it works in this sense.

Archived