Desperate for help - tactically!

Hi.

I'm not new to football manager by any means, but I haven't played the detailed versions for a couple of years. Bought this one for the iPad with such excitement...and I want to love it, but I lose EVERY game. It's horrible. There is nothing I can do. Everything I try. I lose on possession. I lose on goals. I'm Liverpool. I'm 19th in the premier league. I've tried 442, 424, 41221, 4321, 4231. I've tried so much.

I just can't catch a break. I'm going to have to restart my season, but there's no point if I have literally no idea where I'm going wrong. I can't put detailed info on all my tactics on here, but what's worked for other people?

Or is everyone else finding that this year...you just get pummelled??

I've never ever been in this position..usually FM is about ups and downs. This is just... Nothing. It's horrible. I'm desperate for help because without it I'm afraid I'm just not going to be able to enjoy the game that I so desperately want to love.

I will upload photos from my PC tomorrow. I'm 19th in premier league. Won one, drawn one, lost seven!

I have photos of my tactics so will post those too. I'm just....gutted. Absolutely gutted.

Please help anyone!

Have a look at the Tactics forum, tactics are the same on full fat FM and FMT, so anything you read there for FM16 (and some things for FM15) apply.

But if you do post there read the rules, you have to provide your tactic details.

Personally I keep it simple a 4-4-2 mainly as that formation suits the players I start with.

Full backs on support same as wingers and a CM-D and BWM-S in central midfield and DLF-S and AF upfront. I do change the roles for certain players, my top scorer plays as AF but when I do drop him back to the support role because of rotation/injuries or his usual strike partner becoming inconsistent I play him as DF-S. I have a central midfielder who can't play as BWM, so he plays as a CM-S

I don't use many PIs, mainly on my keeper as he can't kick or throw the ball, so he passes to the fullbacks even on goal kicks.

My TIs are kept to the minimum at the start of the game, but I do change them depending on conditions (can't play a shorter passing game on a pitch that is more mud then grass) or opponents formation (no wingers, so focus down the flanks and play narrower to try to help not being overloaded by their midfielders)

Hi Phil,

To start with I'd definitely echo spankie's advice on reading the tactics forum, even as a veteran/addict I find I'm still learning and experimenting with my set-ups.

I'm Liverpool too, here's what I use (it's not a super-tactic by any means) and hopefully it'll prove useful:

Formation: 4-2-3(wide)-1 at home when I'm heavy favourite, and 4-1-2-2(wide)-1 when I'm away or against a City or Chelsea at home.

Mentality: Standard start against the bigger boys (i.e. where I'm not favourite to win), otherwise Control start

Team Shape: Flexible

Team Instructions: Shorter passing, Balanced width, Work ball into box, Be more expressive, close down more...everything else left as default

Team selection + roles

4-2-3(wide)-1

DK: Mignolet

LB/S: Moreno

LD/D: Skrtel

LD/D: Sahko

RB/S: Clyne

CM/S: Hendo/Milner

BWM/S: Lucas

IF-R/S: Lallana

AMC/A: Coutinho

IF-L/A: Firmino

AF/A: Sturridge/Benteke/Ings

----------------------------

4-1-2-2(wide)-1

DK: Mignolet

LB/S: Moreno

LD/D: Skrtel

LD/D: Sahko

RB/S: Clyne

DMC/S: Lucas

CM/S: Milner/Can

AP/A: Hendo

IF-R/S: Lallana

IF-L/A: Coutinho

AF/A: Sturridge/Ings/Origi

Playing your best players in their best position (the greenest of the greens on the role-suitability indicator) is something I always try to accommodate, even if it means disturbing the formation at times.

I also take control of the training and adapt the PPMs to how I want the team to play (for example: asking the pacier players to learn to break the offside trap, and asking the 3 in behind the striker to learn to play killer balls and 1-2s).

I also always view the games on extended highlights, as this allows me to adapt to any changes made by the oppo teams, or exploit any obvious weaknesses I notice.

Hope this helps.

Those systems aren't ones rich10 that I believe should "work"; you've got no midfield screen in either tactic and Limited Defenders are prone to just losing possession by hoofing the ball clear. Do you not experience those issues? In both systems you should see that you concede a load of space behind midfield when your attacks break down.

OP - I'd go to the tactics forum and just paste screenshots or the level of detail that rich10 did, and you'll get some help.

I didn't say I always keep clean sheets :) or that this wins me the league (i'm sat in 5th), but this is how I've set-up to start with and will find the optimal configuration over time.

Having said that, I don't find that I give up the ball or space too easily, and there's every chance Skrtel is not a LD, and Lucas is actually a DMC/D.

I suddenly feel the need for a loooonnnggg toilet break :)

Archived