FM16: How to turn a bad form?

I seems to me that the last few results influences the next result on this version than before. After a few good games and a loss, I know the next few matches will be very difficult.

Here is one example for my Athletic Bilbao save: My form: WWDWL, where the last W was a 4-1 win away to Real Madrid with 16-3 in shots on target. The loss was a match we controlled, but a late pen from Valencia took it. My next match is then home to Elbar, who is bottom of the league. Earlier experiences told me that the Elbar match should be difficult because of the loss to Valencia. In the end we lost 3-0, had 2 shot on target to Elbar's 17.

To test my hypothesis I restarted the game without saving after the last game. I did this 10 times and the result was: 1W 1D 8L in this match. All together shots on target was 40-122. I tried change around a bit on the formation and variated my answers to the press and the communication to the press.

After this I played on, lost the next 4 matches and got back to my old form.

So my question is this: is it possible to stop this bad form before it starts?

How can you stop bad form before it starts, how would you know the bad form is coming?

Because, and I quote, "Earlier experiences told me that the Elbar match should be difficult because of the loss to Valencia."

That's the whole point of this persons thread... that you can see it coming!

Maybe it's just a coincidence for him, I doubt this happens on everybodys save. At least I've never spotted any patterns similar to his.

It happens to me. Usually I'll start out a season dominating for many games in a row and be near the top of the table. Then my goalkeeper gets injured and after that, I win about 1 in every 5 (losing the others) and wind up barely out of the relegation place. I still dominate some games but my goalkeepers make horrendous errors frequently, my strikers are EXTREMELY wasteful from inside the 6, and the opposition is clinical pretty much every game even though my strikers and keepers are better than the majority of the teams I face. Regardless of team talks, tactics changes, player talks, personnel changes, keeper returning from injury, we just slide and slide.

DizzyPenguin got my point. I dont think theres anything wrong with game, Im just wondering how to turn things around when I see the signs of bad form coming. And yes, there are clear signs of problems ahead.

Press Conferences, team talk, team meetings does work sometimes, but are way to unreliable. I find it impossible to predict how the reation will be, and its just a guessing game.

I always watch the full match, and I find that the first sign of problems for my teams are that more and more of my clearings lands in the oher teams feet. After this my fullbacks suddently forget how to fall back, whatever there PI are.

I suspect there is no good answer for this problem, but what do I know...

I have an opinion. In the first instance users are unlikely to make small adjustments to tactics when things are going well. I will always change a couple of players and occasionally make small changes to my tactics like going a bit more direct and playing a target man instead of a deep lying forward. I might change my midfielders how both have a support option to have one attacking and one defending. Little tweaks that keep the opposition guessing and suit the opponents I am playing.

I used to pick my tactic and starting XI and play it 95% of the time. I'd wait until I had gone 10 games without a win then make wholesale changes to formation and starting XI. I think when you do this form appears to be more erratic in reality it's a case of managers waiting too long to adjust their tactics and then when the do making too many changes.

I went unbeaten in 14 in the league in my (latest) first Swansea season. Then two wins between mid-December and early March.

The rot is hard to stop.

You could also argue winning is hard to stop once on a run. How much did morale ensure you went 14 matches unbeaten in the league. See it works both ways. I agree though morale does make a difference both ways and seems to be hard to change.

You could also argue winning is hard to stop once on a run. How much did morale ensure you went 14 matches unbeaten in the league. See it works both ways. I agree though morale does make a difference both ways and seems to be hard to change.

My squad's morale didn't actually change a great deal. There were only a couple of games in January where a lot of players felt poor (misguided team meeting and transfer request drama). Otherwise morale was surprisingly good in the dark times. Players just stopped being able to string passes together under no pressure and I got murdered by crosses because my winger & full-back would close down the same guy and leave opposing full-backs free.

I see it. Every season I seem to over perform followed by a horrendous run of form and eventually back to unbeatable.

Seems to happen to the AI as well though. My current season I was unbeaten at the start of December and didn't win in 13 matches but was still within touching distance of the top because the AI was struggling as well.

It's likely a mixture of the flakey morale system/press conferences and tactics. I think it's just frustrating because you see ridiculous stuff in the ME like strikers putting it out for a throw when shooting in the 6 yard box during bad runs of form.

I take an approaching change in form as a sign to go a bit more conservative for a few games, to help pull through. Turn your mentality down a notch, have a few S's changed to D and A's to S, play both of your physical, strong midfielders rather than the normal strong man - fancy man combo, maybe use that DC/R who sits on your bench and rotates in at center back in the DR slot rather than that dynamo you have in the team usually who's all pace and attack but isn't too hot at actually defending, start defending one goal leads like you are Mourinho rather than going in for the kill.

Grind out a few results, then return to normal.

Obviously it's impossible to tell when this actually stops a change in form, as you can only spot the changes that happen not the ones you avoid, but it seems to work for me.

• 8 months later...

I just played a season with Villarreal. I had two good runs and two bad ones.

Match 1-8: 7W 0D 1L

Match 9-23: 2W 7D 6L

Match 24-36: 8W 1D 4L

Match 36-43: 1W 3D 3L

The last matches made my team miss top 4!

These runs at some point are inevitable throughout a season, I've seen it many times before and been on the end of more than I care to remember.

IMO giving the squad a few extra rest days during these periods work wonders.....my approach in past careers was to up training and become strict with harsh team talks and personal chats etc but taking the opposite approach is now my way.

It goes against what you feel they deserve but sometimes that extra days rest/positive chat can change that players mentality into a more positive outlook.

I find that (as others have mentioned) encouraging team talks & individual chats help bad runs, big time. Then when I win 1 or 2 on the bounce I'll use the "Carry where you finished off.." team talk and things get back to normal. I would say I have used this is in every save I've had and it always works. 

I love playing this game, but these good / bad forms are making me frustrated. I try different things to turn things over. I took over at Saint Etienne in the beginning of season 8 in my career save with these results:

Match 1-16: 10W 5D 1L

Match 17-28: 2W 5D 5L

My starting lineup is pretty much the same from match 1 to match 28. Well, see you later, I have to try finishing the season with some wins!

I find the 'bad runs' coincide with the in-game media's (and thus the game's) idea of a high-pressure match.

Even where, to the human manager, the match is either a dead rubber, mathematically, or not even that important in the grand scheme of things. So, the players get all weak-kneed at the pressure situation and faff about. Once the in-game pressure period ends, suddenly everything returns to the status quo.

I'm not too good at the psychological side of things, sometimes because I don't see the situation as a pressure situation, and sometimes because the game won't let me make it a non-pressure situation with the tools it provides. This is one area myself and the game will be at loggerheads for a while! XD 

On 8/27/2016 at 12:34, isignedupfornorealreason said:

I find the 'bad runs' coincide with the in-game media's (and thus the game's) idea of a high-pressure match.

Even where, to the human manager, the match is either a dead rubber, mathematically, or not even that important in the grand scheme of things. So, the players get all weak-kneed at the pressure situation and faff about. Once the in-game pressure period ends, suddenly everything returns to the status quo.

I'm not too good at the psychological side of things, sometimes because I don't see the situation as a pressure situation, and sometimes because the game won't let me make it a non-pressure situation with the tools it provides. This is one area myself and the game will be at loggerheads for a while! XD 

I always set my assistent to deal with press conferences. Maybe he's the guilty one? ;-) 

On 8/28/2016 at 04:09, phnompenhandy said:

Another quick tip is to arrange a friendly against a numpty opposition. Any kind of win will help restore morale and could break the cycle.

Thanks for the tip :-)

Archived