FM16: Teach me to play like Ajax

Well if you want to go for "pure" Ajax, then 4-3-3 is mandatory (everyone from Van Gaal to De Boer have used this). Although really it's always been far more flexible than is possible in FM. So by 4-3-3 I mean (in FM terms) 4-1-2-2-1 (DM and AML/R). Not meaning to promote myself or anything, but it's probably easier to show you how I've set it up in my Let's Play for Ajax:

(tactics start 1:40, and note that I actually end up making a bunch of changes to this in the second season, but shape and principles remain the same).

It's been interesting, however, that (to me) De Boer has been much more willing to switch things around this season. It may have come about from PSV winning the league last time around, but they've played a bunch of different formations at times this season, from 4-2-3-1 (2 DM's), to ditching a DM altogether and playing with an AMC in a 4-3-3. So up to you which route you want to go down really :)

I've used a 4-3-3 with flat midfield three, with a holding mid, very fluid as well. The issue is that currently you just can't get the total football positional ethos in FM. DreamsDefined alluded to this above. There just isn't the fluidity and movement of players covering spaces for teammates that well. You probably want to use a control strategy, retain possession, more closing down, offside trap, be more expressive as team instructions, and while it won't look like total football, really, it will make some very nice play. Then adjust and tweak in response to what you see actually happening on the field, especially with individual players.

The role/duties I've opted for are

GK(D)

WB(A) CD © CD © WB(A)

CM(A) CM(D) BBM(S)

IF(A) DLF(S) IF(A)

I do change them around in game at times, though, depending on what is happening, and how space is getting used or not.

Archived