Persuading a player to move

Have had about 6 attempts at this and all have been unsuccessful. I had one of the players on loan for a season but then come the end of that season his parent club chose not to renew his contract. He was our club's player of the year that season and I offered him the captaincy but he still refused.

Just once - I managed to get Nani to discuss terms with my Wolves side despite originally having no interest - i couldn't afford his wage demands in the end though!!!

All other attempts have failed to get past the original conversation

I haven't had much luck either. I don't think this really happens in football, but here in the US (NFL/NBA), it's not uncommon for a team to roll out the red carpet for a player they covet. The team might fly the player in by helicopter, wine and dine them, etc. Does that happen at all in European football? Like say if Ronaldo was keen to leave Madrid, would a Man City type team give them the royal treatment? Doesn't happen that I'm aware of.

If it does happen though that might be a nice feature. Maybe have an option to drop 50k/100k to bring the player in for a face to face meeting, chat about your ambitions, give you a chance to really impress them and make it a tough decision for them.

Has anyone ever had success with this?

It seems when ever i get the chance to talk to a potential transfer to persuade him to join, no matter who they are, what i pick, i am never able to persuade him..

Yup. Agent told me to jog on, I went and spoke to him directly, said we'd give him a go in the first team and build around him (or whatever the option was) and he told his agent to talk to me, signed the contract and became a cornerstone of my team. (Michael Carrick to Aston Villa btw.)

I haven't had much luck either. I don't think this really happens in football, but here in the US (NFL/NBA), it's not uncommon for a team to roll out the red carpet for a player they covet. The team might fly the player in by helicopter, wine and dine them, etc. Does that happen at all in European football? Like say if Ronaldo was keen to leave Madrid, would a Man City type team give them the royal treatment? Doesn't happen that I'm aware of.

If it does happen though that might be a nice feature. Maybe have an option to drop 50k/100k to bring the player in for a face to face meeting, chat about your ambitions, give you a chance to really impress them and make it a tough decision for them.

I probably could happen, but keep in mind that other clubs may not approach a player with more than 6 months left on his contract unless his club allows it.

I've found that the captain one is difficult to do. In theory it should be brilliant but 99% of the time they say "I don't want to upset the team by waltzing in as captain". The one I've had most success with is "I won't waste your time, I'd love you to be here". Appealing to their personal side seems to work

Archived