Complacency

• 1 month later...
There is at half-time. That will help prevent it in the first place.

Apologies for bumping an older thread, but this confuses me a little bit.

There has been quite a bit of discussion on the meaning of complacency in the past - at half time I always assumed it was most appropriate when my team is well on top, as a means of telling my players that they needed to stay focused and not drop off. However, the general consensus was that it is actually most appropriate when you are winning a game you are favourites in, but not playing well.

I also struggle with the "looking complacent/uninterested" reaction and have never really found an effective way to combat it. If I am 2-0 up at half time and outplaying the opposition, yet this is what my players are like at half time, is it recommended to use the "don't get complacent" talk?

Apologies for bumping an older thread, but this confuses me a little bit.

There has been quite a bit of discussion on the meaning of complacency in the past - at half time I always assumed it was most appropriate when my team is well on top, as a means of telling my players that they needed to stay focused and not drop off. However, the general consensus was that it is actually most appropriate when you are winning a game you are favourites in, but not playing well.

I also struggle with the "looking complacent/uninterested" reaction and have never really found an effective way to combat it. If I am 2-0 up at half time and outplaying the opposition, yet this is what my players are like at half time, is it recommended to use the "don't get complacent" talk?

Context is vital. If the players are already "looking confident" etc at half time, then praising them is a very bad idea. They need to keep focus. If they can use the praise, there's nothing wrong with giving them praise.

If you don't want them to become over-confident/complacent, use the talk.

could you mention how to do that? I've been enjoying a fine run in my second season and media has been praising me alot. In my last game, I scraped a draw with a team from the bottom of the table and a few of my players looked complacent during the game. Think I never had a chance to say something in the media to prevent this.

could you mention how to do that? I've been enjoying a fine run in my second season and media has been praising me alot. In my last game' date=' I scraped a draw with a team from the bottom of the table and a few of my players looked complacent during the game. Think I never had a chance to say something in the media to prevent this.[/quote']

Team talks! Who cares about the media when you can talk to the players directly?

It's the usual, obvious things. Don't over-praise. Warn against complacency. Become more demanding, expecting wins etc.

Obviously, it's going to be difficult if you're on a great run and 4-0 up at half time though, but you're 4-0 up in the game so don't worry about it.

Archived