Has anyone had huge success with defensive tactics?

Every thread I read about a team finishing far better than predicted have he same thing in common, they use either control or attacking strategy. I've yet to see any screenshots of big success using counter or defensive, non-possession based strategies. Has anyone done it?

Recently switched to a more defensive focus on my Atalanta save. Had a mediocre season last season, finishing 7th but winning Coppa Italia. Recovered after a horrible run, and have had a great start to this season after a switch from a Standard/Control 4-4-1-1 to a Defensive/Counter 4-1-4-1. After 15 games I'm top of the league with 33 points, scored 22 and conceded just 6, with 12 clean sheets. Too early to tell whether I'm onto something lasting or not, but I'm loving it. Consistently grinding out 1-0 and 2-0 wins is what I want, and a playstyle I haven't been successful with since the wibble/wobble days.

I had some success with 4-6-0 defensive tactic. 3 league, 2 domestic cup, 2 champions league quarter final and 1 semi final with Fenerbahçe in 3 seasons. It was direct passing tactic with high tempo, now I'm working on possession based defensive tactic I hope it works...

Took over Derby after they sacked Clement in November. The club were 22nd in the table and my objective was to avoid relegation.

Played a 4-5-1 on counter and finished 5th before winning the playoff final on penalties

I had some success with 4-6-0 defensive tactic. 3 league, 2 domestic cup, 2 champions league quarter final and 1 semi final with Fenerbahçe in 3 seasons. It was direct passing tactic with high tempo, now I'm working on possession based defensive tactic I hope it works...

That's interesting because it sounds weird. Strikerless tactics like the 4-6-0 are rarely direct because you need to wait for the players to go upfield! I'm not doubting your success, just seems a curious way to play.

Archived