[HELP WANTED] 1997/1998 Database (WIP)

JamesTheSuperBlue

With the Editor as powerful as it is these days, I think now would be a good time to think about a 1997/1998 database, which I've wanted to do for a while!

This season and the one before it are the ones when I first really became clued-up on football - I went to watch my local team for the first time and was an avid collector of the Premier League 96 and 97 sticker collections :p

1997/1998 was a good season in England and there was a lot of good English talent in the Premier League. Unlike today, when I think England and English footballers are overrated and over-hyped, I actually think that in the run-up to World Cup '98 the England squad was extremely strong man-for-man. In Europe too, country's top divisions were closer in reputation and there wasn't QUITE as much money as there is now. It's an era that I'd like to re-create.

I know the editor is powerful enough to re-create the Champions League as it was then (i.e. a smaller competition) but I don't have the expertise or time to do this, so I propose we leave it as it is but I'd have no problem with someone re-creating it in the 1997/1998 format if they think they can.

I don't really have the time or the patience to do it on my own so I wondered if anybody would be interested in turning it into a sort of community project? I envisaged maybe 2-4 people working on each English division and, once we had those down, move onto some of Europe's top clubs and players(maybe not whole divisions if we can get away with it!)

Just post below if yo're interested and maybe we can arrange something.

Thanks for the interest guys. I won't lie, it'll be a slow progress project because I work and don't have too much time. But I'd rather that than rush it, and hopefully make a good and stable database which can then be used in fiture versions of the game too.

I don't know how much any of you would like to help or how you'd like to divide the work up? I have downloaded DosBOX and CM 97/98 so that I can use the data editor to look up CAs, PAs, player and club reputations, wages and stadium capacities, etc. That + the internet gives lots of useful information. So I'd recommend that anyone who'd like to help download this.

I'll start by re-arranging and re-naming the English divisions and I've started editing Arsenal. Once I've edited them I'll post a few screenshots for people to see and perhaps then we can start dividing up some work? I'm deleting any club/competition records that have been set since June 1997 (replacing them with older records IF I can find them), deleting any player/club/competition histories from 1997/98 onwards, and setting relevant players' and coaches' DOBs as 18 years later. I'm keeping any player aged 33 or older and sending him back to his first club, and then deleting pretty much any player under 33.

I'd like to concentrate on sorting out divisions, clubs, deleting and re-creating players and their histories and then leave competition rules and continental/nation structures til last because I figure that mucking about with those is probably the thing that will make the database unstable.

English divisions first, and then see how far people want to go with foreign/European clubs. The main thing there will be deleting as many well-known players of the present day as possible (unless they're old enough to have been around in 1997/98) because it will drive me mad if they pop up in the file......and then re-create/re-instate top players playing in Europe in 1997/98.

I'm not begging for help, if I have to do it alone I'll give it my best shot but will be much quicker to create and release if there are a handful of interested people sending the file around between each other and working on it?

Archived