General Training Timeline Query

I was wondering if anyone could give me some solid advice on training, I've never really bother with it before but would like to be a little more involved this time round (FM16 playing as Chorley, 2nd season, promoted to Conference National, still semi-pro so limited training for now). I've read through a lot of articles from the likes of Cleon and Rashidiy but just want to make sure I'm understanding the rough time lines correctly and ask a few extra questions.

Team Timeline, U18, U21 and Senior squads:

Each season you can basically do 2 sets of full training as stats take 3months to stick (assuming you do fitness/cohesion for a month preseason), this is down to player preference. Balanced is the "safe choice", anything else is player dependant. For me personally at lower leagues find work rate, team work and determinations very useful stats so I'll probably aim for that.

Individual Timeline:

Age 15 - 17

-General training in the role you want i.e. MC->Ball Winning Midfielder (Or would you leave it more general for now?).

-Retrain to any additional positions required

-Train any PPMs you want the player to have

Age 18 - 19

-Identify your 4 to 6 chosen ones, move them up to senior team and try to give them game time, make them available for reservers/u21 when you can't utilise them.

-Training as the position you want i.e. MC-> Ball Winning Midfielder

-Rest to remain playing in U21

Age 19+

-Training remains the same

-If they aren't looking like they will be given game time any time soon, start to look at loans out to clubs were they will get game time at a competetive level, monitor the loans to ensure they do.

From here on its basically general squad training. Does that sound like a general time line for how basic training work?

Additional questions:

A) Does anyone use any additional focus i.e. focus on passing etc. How well do these work? If someone has one sub-par stat, should I focus it further or do you just use these to improve universal stats like Quickness, Strength and Stamina?

B) Do you guys have any tops for reminding you when to swap / check things or keep track of anything? I'm guessing in game calendar + player notes will be the best way?

Anything obvious that I'm missing here or that I need to take into account further? I, as a starting point, don't want to spend hours analysing every player so this seems like a good balance, identify how they will play in my team, train them in that position, manage overall training.

Thanks in advance for all assistance/advice given!

Team Timeline, U18, U21 and Senior squads:

Each season you can basically do 2 sets of full training as stats take 3months to stick (assuming you do fitness/cohesion for a month preseason), this is down to player preference. Balanced is the "safe choice", anything else is player dependant. For me personally at lower leagues find work rate, team work and determinations very useful stats so I'll probably aim for that.

Balance isn't the safe choice, it's the logical one if you are just going to rotate through several different general trainings anyway. You're just not wasting time that's all. Remember all the players train general one so whatever it's set on that means all players will be working on those attributes. In almost most cases this will be a waste as it doesn't take into account how high those attributes cuirrently are. All players will have different values, so for those already high in these attributes it's training wasted. Also higher the attribute the more CA it costs and the more time to learn.

Individual Timeline:

Age 15 - 17

-General training in the role you want i.e. MC->Ball Winning Midfielder (Or would you leave it more general for now?).

-Retrain to any additional positions required

-Train any PPMs you want the player to have

Why have a timeline? Each player will develop at a different rate, some faster and some slower than others.

I also don't agree with keeping things more 'general' either. Start developing the player for what you need straight away. That way he will be better long term as you work on the attributes you need for longer.

Age 18 - 19

-Identify your 4 to 6 chosen ones, move them up to senior team and try to give them game time, make them available for reservers/u21 when you can't utilise them.

-Training as the position you want i.e. MC-> Ball Winning Midfielder

-Rest to remain playing in U21

I do this straight away. Personality and game time and the two biggest single factors for player development. So it makes sense to give them the game time as soon as you can allow. I often bring my 16 years olds on as subs or the odd appearance. Make them available for reserves and u21's still though. But don't ever wait to give them game time if you can give them a few minutes here and there already.

Age 19+

-Training remains the same

-If they aren't looking like they will be given game time any time soon, start to look at loans out to clubs were they will get game time at a competetive level, monitor the loans to ensure they do.

I never loan out as the AI doesn't develop the player for what you need, they just develop the attributes they think he needs instead. So I like to keep them at the club so I can 100% shape them. Also at age of 19 if you've had them since 15/16 they should be quite developed and coming along nicely by now. If not then it might be worth monitoring them for a few more months before moving them on. But it all depends on how long you've actually had the player for. Say 3-4 years then he should be well on his way and be developing how you want by now. If not then I can't see the situation changing in the next year. Players tend to show a bit of development if you've had them for 3-4 years.

From here on its basically general squad training. Does that sound like a general time line for how basic training work?

Why general training? You should still be working on the role/individual attributes. General training isn't a substitute for role/attribute training.

A) Does anyone use any additional focus i.e. focus on passing etc. How well do these work? If someone has one sub-par stat, should I focus it further or do you just use these to improve universal stats like Quickness, Strength and Stamina?

Absolutely. There short term though not long so rotate them on a monthly/2 months or 3 month rotation. Any longer and you'd be wasting training. Since the slight changes to training on FM16 its probably more beneficial to use 1 or 2 months though rather than the 3 month for one particular attribute. What I do is normally work on something like;

Passing

First Touch

Technique

and rotate through them a month at a time for the full season. You should notice them rise quite a bit during that time.

B) Do you guys have any tops for reminding you when to swap / check things or keep track of anything? I'm guessing in game calendar + player notes will be the best way?

Player notes, they allow you to set reminders which appear in your inbox. It's the best way to keep track.

Thanks for taking the time to response Cleon, it's much appreciated.

Why have a timeline? Each player will develop at a different rate, some faster and some slower than others.

This is true and pairs with giving them game time early. I think there will be limited options for me as I'm expecting to be in a relegation battle (newly promoted) but will see what I can do in terms of getting them play time.

I also don't agree with keeping things more 'general' either. Start developing the player for what you need straight away. That way he will be better long term as you work on the attributes you need for longer.

My thoughts on this is wether you need round out the base stats out a little more before doing the focus but I assume they'll be trained up the 'squad' training anyway so will raise just at a slower level?

Absolutely. There short term though not long so rotate them on a monthly/2 months or 3 month rotation. Any longer and you'd be wasting training. Since the slight changes to training on FM16 its probably more beneficial to use 1 or 2 months though rather than the 3 month for one particular attribute. What I do is normally work on something like;

Individual focus - when you say short term, do you mean they don't last forever or that the boost to training in them is only temporary and becomes less effective, hence the rotation?

In regards to identifying my golden talent, whats the best way of doing this? I didn't have an U18/U21 team prior in my first season as its lower league so I kept back around £200 wage budget to sign a boat load of youngsters in the March youth intake from across England. This has resulted in me having around 35 players in my U18/U21 squads all with 4.5star+ potential. Am I best to give them 3 months in the U18/U21 leagues before trying to identify who I want (there are some exceptions as one of the 16years olds is better than most of my senior squad...). Or do I perhaps just go off personality type, look for ambitious, professional etc.?

Regarding LLM, is it even worth bothering with youngsters or should I plough 100% of wage budget into veteran players and try to get up to Championship/Premiership ASAP? I feel like it might be fruitless but I think ignoring it completely would take some of the fun out of the game...

Player notes, they allow you to set reminders which appear in your inbox. It's the best way to keep track.

Ugh I really need to get on with this. Possibly some of the best advice here as it saves on filling notebook after notebook of (generally) incomprehensible scribbles

My thoughts on this is wether you need round out the base stats out a little more before doing the focus but I assume they'll be trained up the 'squad' training anyway so will raise just at a slower level?

By rounding out attributes you are using up CA. So it's better to work on the attributes you need straight away because if you leave it too late the important attributes you need the player to have might not be able to reach the levels you need due to not having enough CA left. Plus it can take a while for them to get to the levels you need. You can round them out though if you want but you'd be better working on a role training that is more suitable.

Individual focus - when you say short term, do you mean they don't last forever or that the boost to training in them is only temporary and becomes less effective, hence the rotation?

It will become less effective over time that's why it's better to rotate. They boost lasts forever but it's only supposed to be used as a short term measure if that makes sense. Hence the rotation :)

In regards to identifying my golden talent, whats the best way of doing this? I didn't have an U18/U21 team prior in my first season as its lower league so I kept back around £200 wage budget to sign a boat load of youngsters in the March youth intake from across England. This has resulted in me having around 35 players in my U18/U21 squads all with 4.5star+ potential. Am I best to give them 3 months in the U18/U21 leagues before trying to identify who I want (there are some exceptions as one of the 16years olds is better than most of my senior squad...). Or do I perhaps just go off personality type, look for ambitious, professional etc.?

Personality types are key. As this will determine if someone is likely to reach their PA or not, so look for desired personality types. I'd look at my current starting 11 then see what areas you need to think about in the long term. So I base my youth squads around this. Always having the next player in line waiting to step up incase of serious injury or if you need to raise funds by selling a player. In my current save I have an AMC who is 15 and shows some promise but he's about 5 years away from starting regular for me but I still know that long term he is the option I'll be using.

So try and always think ahead and see your youths as options 3 and 4 years down the line rather than now. I find this is helpful for earmarking the more promising players. It might seem complicated at first but once you've done the ground work it becomes easier every season. It sounds like you was on the back foot to begin with because there was no youth. So it's understandable if you see a high turn over of players in the short term until you get a settle youth generation who can one day be the next first team players, then you'd have the next batch waiting to take over from them and so on.

Regarding LLM, is it even worth bothering with youngsters or should I plough 100% of wage budget into veteran players and try to get up to Championship/Premiership ASAP? I feel like it might be fruitless but I think ignoring it completely would take some of the fun out of the game...

I'd have a nice mix but I'd favor the youth element. That's because that's the only reason I play the game though and I try and build stability and some kind of foundations early on, even if I'm at a lower level. Then as you slowly get better things are already in place to be upgraded and you have a constant line of players coming through. I think you do right planning ahead but also a few older heads would be good for tutoring too.

Ugh I really need to get on with this. Possibly some of the best advice here as it saves on filling notebook after notebook of (generally) incomprehensible scribbles

I wrote a post about then a while back and how to use them. It might be something I do again in the next few days.

Seems like solid advice all round Cleon, thank you again. Is there anywhere I can read up on how CA/PA work [i.e. what uses up CA]? I see them spoke about all the time but as I've not really played FM since CM00/01 I don't really know how they work properly now-a-days, this could be bottle necking my understanding of training I guess. Is there anyway to see CA / PA rating in game that isn't 3rd party like FM Scout (I don't like using these).

I'll keep favouring youth then as I have been doing, hardest part is contracts. They're all currently on youth contracts but when they out-age them, it becomes difficult to offer a part time contract which means they end up on non-contract, pay as you play, which results in them just getting poached for free sadly. Hopefully I can get up to League 2 in a season or two, go professional and then my youth work can properly begin.

Does the touchline shouts change tactics? I noticed when I selected "get more creative" there was a message you get when you actually change tactics during match "tactical changes please wait.." (it's something similar). So, if you say "tighten up" will it switch mentality to defensive or what?

I only used the touchline shout for the 1st time on FM16 so I don't know if it works like that?

PS sorry,I wanted to post this to another thread. please delete.

Does the touchline shouts change tactics? I noticed when I selected "get more creative" there was a message you get when you actually change tactics during match "tactical changes please wait.." (it's something similar). So, if you say "tighten up" will it switch mentality to defensive or what?

I only used the touchline shout for the 1st time on FM16 so I don't know if it works like that?

No they're just reminders to the players about what they should/shouldn't be doing. Think more inline with actual team talks than tactical settings.

Also not sure why you posted this random question in a thread that is not even remotely linked to what you're banding on about.

Balance isn't the safe choice, it's the logical one if you are just going to rotate through several different general trainings anyway. You're just not wasting time that's all. Remember all the players train general one so whatever it's set on that means all players will be working on those attributes. In almost most cases this will be a waste as it doesn't take into account how high those attributes cuirrently are. All players will have different values, so for those already high in these attributes it's training wasted. Also higher the attribute the more CA it costs and the more time to learn.

But in that regard, isn't "Balanced" even a bigger waste of ressources, as the impact will be spread out even more widely and get completely lost?

If I know for example that I want my team to overall rely on physical attributes (stamina, pace, etc.) and on mental attributes (who are more difficult to train individually anyway), wouldn't it be smarter to do some kind of 50/50 training in fitness and tactics, and support that by individual training and/or finetune the technical attributes via individual training?

That's at least how I normally do it. Same if I know that I plan to play a solid defensive style; in that case I do a 50/50 training for defense and either tactics or fitness.

But in that regard, isn't "Balanced" even a bigger waste of ressources, as the impact will be spread out even more widely and get completely lost?

If I know for example that I want my team to overall rely on physical attributes (stamina, pace, etc.) and on mental attributes (who are more difficult to train individually anyway), wouldn't it be smarter to do some kind of 50/50 training in fitness and tactics, and support that by individual training and/or finetune the technical attributes via individual training?

That's at least how I normally do it. Same if I know that I plan to play a solid defensive style; in that case I do a 50/50 training for defense and either tactics or fitness.

I get what you're getting at but it still takes away from individual training. Balanced is the only focus that doesn't put emphasis on any attributes. All the others do and when that happens it takes away the effectiveness and dilutes all individual training you've selected, so it becomes less effective because they aren't the only focus. Instead your splitting it between whatever general you've selected and the individual training you've used.

I still beleive after all the testing I've done you can achieve better results leaving it balanced and using individual role and attribute training instead for the players. It worked out about 23% better training overall compared to using general training as the sole focus.

I get what you're getting at but it still takes away from individual training. Balanced is the only focus that doesn't put emphasis on any attributes. All the others do and when that happens it takes away the effectiveness and dilutes all individual training you've selected, so it becomes less effective because they aren't the only focus. Instead your splitting it between whatever general you've selected and the individual training you've used.

I still beleive after all the testing I've done you can achieve better results leaving it balanced and using individual role and attribute training instead for the players. It worked out about 23% better training overall compared to using general training as the sole focus.

I see. Thanks.

Isn't that somewhat ... disappointing? Basically what you are saying is that the whole aspect of team training is flawed, because even if you have an exact plan with where you want to go, "balanced" is still the best choice.

Or is there any situation where using team training differently would make sense?

I see. Thanks.

Isn't that somewhat ... disappointing? Basically what you are saying is that the whole aspect of team training is flawed, because even if you have an exact plan with where you want to go, "balanced" is still the best choice.

Or is there any situation where using team training differently would make sense?

The idea of team training was always going to be flawed in some way because realistically all players will have different attribute values for those the specific trainings deal with, so if you're teaching them to all players some will waste CA getting them higher even though they might not need them higher. It makes sense from creating a specific style that wants specific attributes but it's still not ideal for those things mention a second ago. The whole general and match training on FM needs to advance more, I was disappointed this wasn't done this version. It's a bit robotic and limiting in its current form I feel.

General and match training should ideally be focused on teaching your side concepts for the games coming up rather than impacting which set of attributes get trained as that's not realistic at all.

So, just been trying to go through my training for the squad, positions is easy and quick enough, role is too. Individual focus though, this seems to be... time consuming. To do it effectively I'm finding I need to look at each player (60+), look at what stat is lacking/priority and set it to that. My first team alone just took me 30minutes (would probably get slightly quicker with practice), is this how you do it or do you have a set rotation of what you deem important from whats available? I.E. Wingers will all do an individual focus rotation 4 to 6 weeks of Quickness -> Crossing -> Stamina -> First Touch and repeat? Theres a chance of trying to push a high stat even higher which from what you said earlier eats more CA/PA so I assume not?

I'm thinking of doing a 3 or 4 stat cycle of 2 generic for the position then 1 individual, that should give me a good balance of customisation and time spent? i.e. Wingers -> Quickness > Crossing > Unique stat that player needs > repeat. Trying to find the balance of what I deem fun to what is efficient for improvement is the main issue I guess!

Also, if you set a role i.e. Full Back but then set the position to Midfield Left, will this let me train the stats for the full back but give him positional training in Midfield Left? Or do I need to set the role to a ML role for this to work?

So, just been trying to go through my training for the squad, positions is easy and quick enough, role is too. Individual focus though, this seems to be... time consuming. To do it effectively I'm finding I need to look at each player (60+), look at what stat is lacking/priority and set it to that. My first team alone just took me 30minutes (would probably get slightly quicker with practice), is this how you do it or do you have a set rotation of what you deem important from whats available? I.E. Wingers will all do an individual focus rotation 4 to 6 weeks of Quickness -> Crossing -> Stamina -> First Touch and repeat? Theres a chance of trying to push a high stat even higher which from what you said earlier eats more CA/PA so I assume not?

I'm thinking of doing a 3 or 4 stat cycle of 2 generic for the position then 1 individual, that should give me a good balance of customisation and time spent? i.e. Wingers -> Quickness > Crossing > Unique stat that player needs > repeat. Trying to find the balance of what I deem fun to what is efficient for improvement is the main issue I guess!

Also, if you set a role i.e. Full Back but then set the position to Midfield Left, will this let me train the stats for the full back but give him positional training in Midfield Left? Or do I need to set the role to a ML role for this to work?

Well the first time you set everything up it always takes ten times longer than it normally does. Rest of the time it should be seconds to check a player but the initial setting up can be time consuming.

But isn't that precisely what specific training regimes do? Rondos focus on first touch and 1-2's and teams that utilize them religiously can be seen on the pitch.

Another example would be teams that prefer to do sprints for 10 minutes rather than a 3k run at the end of practice.

Neither of the above is the prime focus of daily practice/training during the season, but both of them have their affect what the teams are seen doing on the pitch.

Course one can argue that the desired style of play will have an effect on the particular choice of training, having a very direct Route One team doing Rondos is somewhat of a waste versus a Tiki Taka team doing them...

Cleon,

I understand you advice against rounding out attributes, but would you ever focus on improving an obvious weakness for a role you had in mind for a player.

Let's say you have a 17 year old striker who looks like he could develop into a really good player. However, you see he is only 5 for First Touch. Would you spend time in training trying to get this to a more acceptable level, or just try to develop his other attributes which might already be fairly good.

Cleon,

I understand you advice against rounding out attributes, but would you ever focus on improving an obvious weakness for a role you had in mind for a player.

Let's say you have a 17 year old striker who looks like he could develop into a really good player. However, you see he is only 5 for First Touch. Would you spend time in training trying to get this to a more acceptable level, or just try to develop his other attributes which might already be fairly good.

I'd always focus on the attributes I need from the player. So if he was vital and going to see lots of the ball them ofc I'd work on his first touch, it would be a vital attribute.

I'm not against rounding attributes btw but I think you should refine players the older they get not when they are young. You round the rest of his attributes once you've shaped him to be the player you need him to be.

Thats true, I guess its all just how much time you want to invest, the more you do, the better results you are likely to achieve.

All in all, thank you very much for all your advice in this thread Cleon, its greatly appreciated as training is something I've never really looked at before but I think I have an understanding to work from and experiment with now. I plan on being more active on these forums from now on (though I'm not entirely sure how much help I'll be to others), so look forward to speaking to you more in the future. In the mean time, have a merry christmas and a happy new year.

Thats true, I guess its all just how much time you want to invest, the more you do, the better results you are likely to achieve.

All in all, thank you very much for all your advice in this thread Cleon, its greatly appreciated as training is something I've never really looked at before but I think I have an understanding to work from and experiment with now. I plan on being more active on these forums from now on (though I'm not entirely sure how much help I'll be to others), so look forward to speaking to you more in the future. In the mean time, have a merry christmas and a happy new year.

The same to you too :)

Btw you might want to check out the small changes to training for FM16'

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/442638-Important-FM16-Training-Changes

I was wondering what you guys do when it comes to the individual training workload. In past versions it was easier to manage since you can change the intensity.

I'm currently in a difficult spot where, I either run the team training at a Heavy Intensity so that the majority of my team are on Heavy. However, if I run it on heavy, a few of my players on the squad will move to very heavy intensity if I add any individual focus.

1) How much of a risk is it running training at very heavy on individuals, especially if the player is a key figure.

2) Is it worth reducing the team training to medium so that every player can be provided individual rotating focuses and none go to very high.

On a side note, anyone notice that some players who become natural in a second position still get the workload increase should you tell them to train under that position?

For example, with Swansea, Tabanou is natural in AML and DL. If I ask him to train under AML as a winger, his workload is considered Heavy. If I ask him to train as a CWB in DL, his workload jumps to Very Heavy.

Curious with Tabanou, if you select a different role at the same position - say FB or Limited FB - does the same happen? It could be that CWB simply trains more attributes than winger, so that could make a difference in the workload, which would make sense. Totally not sure - just tossing out a hypothesis.

2) Is it worth reducing the team training to medium so that every player can be provided individual rotating focuses and none go to very high.

This.

As a personal rule , as a base i start the general training to low ,and then i set the individual training of each player making combinations (position/role or(and) focus ) so that the individual training workload is heavy and not very heavy.

Also a change in the scheduling (for.ex 10% to 20% ) may alter or minimize the ind.workload.

As for the example you said ,yes i have noticed too

Curious with Tabanou, if you select a different role at the same position - say FB or Limited FB - does the same happen? It could be that CWB simply trains more attributes than winger, so that could make a difference in the workload, which would make sense. Totally not sure - just tossing out a hypothesis.

Nope, the role itself makes no difference to his workload. It seems to be that position itself, even though he's natural.

I was wondering what you guys do when it comes to the individual training workload. In past versions it was easier to manage since you can change the intensity.

I'm currently in a difficult spot where, I either run the team training at a Heavy Intensity so that the majority of my team are on Heavy. However, if I run it on heavy, a few of my players on the squad will move to very heavy intensity if I add any individual focus.

1) How much of a risk is it running training at very heavy on individuals, especially if the player is a key figure.

On a side note, anyone notice that some players who become natural in a second position still get the workload increase should you tell them to train under that position?

For example, with Swansea, Tabanou is natural in AML and DL. If I ask him to train under AML as a winger, his workload is considered Heavy. If I ask him to train as a CWB in DL, his workload jumps to Very Heavy.

1. The important thing here is personality. The more professional the player the higher the workload he can handle. It's only really poor professional players who complain about heavy workloads. It doesn't do any long term damage though.

2. I always stick to it being high, I'd rather a player get too much training rather than enough. Again though just tutor the younger players as its a personality issue.

Tabanou is a natural winger and that's his best position. While he is also natural at DL that's his secondary role and he isn't great at any of those roles for DL. Where as his best position is a winger so for all AML training that makes the workload lighter. If he had a higher rated DL positional rating for any of the roles then he'd see the workload lightened.

1. The important thing here is personality. The more professional the player the higher the workload he can handle. It's only really poor professional players who complain about heavy workloads. It doesn't do any long term damage though.

2. I always stick to it being high, I'd rather a player get too much training rather than enough. Again though just tutor the younger players as its a personality issue.

Tabanou is a natural winger and that's his best position. While he is also natural at DL that's his secondary role and he isn't great at any of those roles for DL. Where as his best position is a winger so for all AML training that makes the workload lighter. If he had a higher rated DL positional rating for any of the roles then he'd see the workload lightened.

Thanks Cleon. I'm fortunate enough to have a professional squad so not many of them complain about workload (Tabanou aside...). I've commonly left the youth training up to my Head of Youth Development but now that I've read a bit about player development, I want to take advantage of some of my new youth intakes and try to do it properly.

I'm also paranoid of injuries given my key ST and RB are out for 5-8 months both. I do remember reading that intensity didn't have an influence on any injuries if I'm not mistaken.

While Tabanou is "Natural" at LB, he isn't 20 out of 20 at LB, so there's still some positional familiarity left to learn.

What I do is normally work on something like;

Passing

First Touch

Technique

and rotate through them a month at a time for the full season. You should notice them rise quite a bit during that time.

Just a question about that. Do you rotate this attributes in order to improve a certain ability (in this case, the passing ability) or just the main ones to fit him in a specific role (that could be pace, composure and finishing for a poacher who needs to improve in this attributes)?

Just a question about that. Do you rotate this attributes in order to improve a certain ability (in this case, the passing ability) or just the main ones to fit him in a specific role (that could be pace, composure and finishing for a poacher who needs to improve in this attributes)?

Is there really a difference between the two? I just focus on the attributes I need the player to have. So if some of them are lower than I'd like then I'd work on those to bring them up to the standard I need.

In many cases, a very young player has many attributes to improve. I was wondering if you try to improve them looking for enhace a certain ability and, when it has been achieved, change your focus to another one.

I'm not sure if I'm clear enough between the difference: choose attributes that are linked in a certain ability or just rotate attributes without further strategy than work for make him a better player.

Nevertheless, I understand what you mean.

Archived