target man and playmaker

On fm14 I used two advanced playmakers in cm as well as a target man up front. I have never used a target man before or since then but I dominated world football using that tactic so I'd say it is possible. I used a target man on attack who would occasionally drop deep to involve himself in build ups. It's important that he has a great support cast around him so he has options with the ball. Also doesn't hurt to have this man as your target man:

zi0RjHO.png

yeah, that guy is probably not a bad equalizer even if the tactic has holes in it (not saying it did) ;)

I have played with target men a lot before and never had an issue with also having a playmaker on the pitch. I would recommend a deeper-sitting playmaking role, maybe up to an AP(S) if you operate with winger. In theory, the playmaker is responsible for moving the ball and being a consistent option for his teammates to pass to. From what i have seen (admittedly based on last years game) you can definitely have the playmaker spray the ball wide or to up-rushing BBMs while they look for the target man in the final 1/3. It will however be less likely that they will pass the ball from deep to the target man, but then again that is hardly an issue. Afterall, that is the bailout-option for teams that lack a creative passer in the central midfield.

If you have trouble with the match engine reacting "conflicted", you can always set up your playmaker as an AMC or MC in a different role with player instructions to become a "playmaker-light".

Archived