[FM16: Interactive Experiment] - It's an International Game

Dave.

As someone who has an annual stab at getting Solomon Islands up the FIFA world rankings - I've played the Oceania Nations Cup a few times. Tahiti played NZ in the 1973 final.

Great thread by the way and great idea!

Impressive knowledge there, but unfortunately you were beaten to it! And that's great, I love those type of games. What was the best you managed to achieve with Solomon Islands?

Darn, I'm too late, correct answer's been given already...

BTW, I just came across this and I like it a lot! But please don't abandon it like the Basque sign-up last year, Dave... (I'm not mad or anything, I understand everybody has a life and stuff)

I'm glad you like it! Yeah my apologies for that.. As I recall, I got a new job and moved house and other such things and FM just got left and forgotten about really. Until FM16 came out and I started this - which is intentionally a lower-maintenance and faster moving game which should be easier to keep going!

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Impressive knowledge there, but unfortunately you were beaten to it! And that's great, I love those type of games. What was the best you managed to achieve with Solomon Islands!

I saw haha - ah well I'll be looking out for this post regularly.

They are great - especially taking a relatively unknown nation to the World Cup. Managed to get Solomon Islands into the World Cup second round in 2026 and then lost 6-2 to Colombia in the second round.

Would definitely recommend to anyone to try an international save with a team at the back end of the world rankings - add in the league system too to raise the general youth development in domestic clubs, otherwise it's impossible.

I saw haha - ah well I'll be looking out for this post regularly.

They are great - especially taking a relatively unknown nation to the World Cup. Managed to get Solomon Islands into the World Cup second round in 2026 and then lost 6-2 to Colombia in the second round.

Would definitely recommend to anyone to try an international save with a team at the back end of the world rankings - add in the league system too to raise the general youth development in domestic clubs, otherwise it's impossible.

That's very impressive given you managed it within 10-15 years! And yes, definitely - the dynamic league reputation feature works wonders for these types of save, I've had some fun with San Marino before.

2016 EUROPEAN FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

2016EuroGroupsABC.png

2016EuroGroupsDEF.png

2016EuroKnockout_1.png

Spain have seemingly lost it! After their early exit in the World Knockout Cup, they finished bottom of what was really a fairly regulation group at the Euros. WKC runners-up Switzerland also went home early, in a tournament which saw multiple penalty shootouts. England were unable to continue their early dominance in the new international era, as they lost 2-0 in the final to the Netherlands.

I would like to remove 500 points from Germany, and give them to Hungary - see if we can get them closer to being the force they used to be!

Nice, done!

Is the Spain's manager get sacked or resigned? If yes, who replaced him? And I would like to see his profile.

Del Bosque was sacked after the WKC loss and replaced by Unai Emery - who somehow managed to survive the poor Euros showing.

PLAYERS

2016Caps.png

No new faces on the most-capped list, but a few caps for Casillas and Buffon sees them creep up the list. Bader Al-Motawa moves into second place on 180 caps, and at just 31, will surely smash the all-time caps record held by Hassan, and go on to break the 200 cap mark.

2016Goals.png

He also creeps onto the highest scorers list, along with Portuguese superstar Cristiano Ronaldo.

2016Stars.png

Ronaldo is the second best player in the world on our new "Top 10" list, with his long-term rival Lionel Messi way out in front. No real surprises on that list, but importantly for Messi and Ronaldo, nobody capable of usurping them unless they should themselves decline.

2016Youth_1.png

Three such players do exist however, with Georgian superstar Tsotne Kvartskhava improving fast at his hometown club, and already the subject of a failed bid from Anderlecht. Guimaraes and Diosdado both look like they'll be incredible central defenders after not too long, while the future of nations such as Portugal and the Netherlands is looking good with two players each on the list.

2017 WORLD KNOCKOUT CUP - First Round

The champions fall at the first hurdle! England, amazingly, are out. There were some massively big ties for the first round; their loss to Ukraine matched by Italy's loss in Scotland, and by Holland's defeat to Portugal (who seem to get all the hard matches!)

Shock of the Round

Sudan p1-1 Russia

Biggest Win

Zimbabwe 9-0 Mayotte

Indefensible Defence

Ukraine 3-2 England

2017 WORLD KNOCKOUT CUP - Second Round

At the Double!

France 10-0 Macau

Stadium Sellouts

Algeria, Ghana, Rwanda, Tunisia, Pakistan, Trinidad & Tobago, Belgium, Czech Republic, France (2/2)

Safe Pair of Hands

Chikau Mansale (Vanuatu) - 15 saves/2 apps

2017 WORLD KNOCKOUT CUP - Third Round

Cupset Kings

Sudan e4-3 Ecuador

"It's Time for Africa"

Equatorial Guinea, Ghana, Gabon, Togo, Senegal, Burundi, Sudan, Algeria - 8/32 4th Round teams (25%)

Marathon Man

Papa Diop (Senegal) - 30.9km covered

Challenge #4 (and this one will have to be a quick one - the next update is ready to go) - Which African team will go the farthest in the tournament? There's clearly a 1/8 chance of getting this right by guesswork, so it can't hurt to have a go. There'll be another wonderkid as reward for winning this one.

Nice thread, i will go with Algeria

Thanks very much :)

Gabon, of course!

I can't tell if you were serious or not there... but the challenge has ended early! Of course(!) it was Gabon.

So, another wonderkid - Please let me know what nation he'll represent, his starting club and his position. As with Tsotne Kvartskhava, he'll begin with 150 CA and 200 PA at the age of just 15.

2017 WORLD KNOCKOUT CUP - Fourth Round

2017WKC4R.png

The African challenge faltered somewhat in the Fourth Round, with only 2 from 8 going through - and one of these courtesy of an all-African tie. Gabon will rightly feel pleased with their win in the USA though which guarantees them a huge ranking point. Lithuania are another unfancied side making it to the last 16 and earning a ranking point with their win over Peru, while a round largely devoid of shocks saw most of the big teams progress. Only two teams in the last 16 made that stage last year; Argentina and Germany, and so both had the chance to earn the rankings top spot.

That's good, however, Ceres should be composed of majorly Filipinos. How's the progress of the Philippines and its league system? I think they're on developing or rebuilding themselves.

Ceres have only Filipino players; although all but two are greyed-out (Dutch-born Filipino international Paul Mulders and of course Olivar). The Philippines are doing alright internationally, having bounced back from a poor 2016 by reaching the 3rd round of the World Knockout Cup, where they lost 4-1 to Ghana in Manila. The league system isn't viewable or playable, but in terms of their continental performance; nothing much happened in 2015 or 2016 but Stallions are currently 3rd in their Asian Confederation Cup group.

Oh dear, I really need to wake up earlier to have a chance in these challenges :D

Haha, indeed! Well, while I compile some "cupdates" we have a fifth challenge for you to have a go at:

Who is the only player to win the Premier League, La Liga, Ligue 1 and the Argentine Primera División?

The first person to answer correctly will get the chance to increase club and league reputation for their nation of choice.

2017 WORLD KNOCKOUT CUP - Fifth Round

2017WKC5R.png

The tough games keep coming for Portugal, but they keep delivering - Spain the latest to fall to their Iberian rivals. Lithuania played well, but weren't a match for Brazil in the end, while Gabon outplayed and deservedly beat Costa Rica. Argentina and Germany, the two teams making it to this stage last year, are still in with a shout, along with a few second-tier European sides.

2017 WORLD KNOCKOUT CUP - Quarter Final

2017WKCQF.png

Brazil's thrashing of Germany in the tie of the round was definitely worth watching - the Brazilians have in fact yet to concede in this year's edition. Argentina and Portugal avoided shocks to reach the semis, while Poland held their nerve to beat Ukraine on penalties in the biggest game in their history.

I'll take an ungoogled guess with Diego Maradona.

Just the Argentine title for Maradona! He never played in England or France, and won pretty much everything but the league with Barcelona.

Carlos Tevez?

He won two of four but never played in Spain or France. He did win the Italian Serie A though, so a pretty impressive record.

Gabriel Heinze. I know he won Premier League but i'm unsure about the rest. He definitely played in all so worth a punt.

Good knowledge - he did. Heinze won the Premier League with United in 06/07, La Liga with Real Madrid in 07/08, Ligue 1 with Marseille in 09/10 and his home country's title with Newell's Old Boys in 2013.

So - which country's domestic reputation would you like to improve?

2017 WORLD KNOCKOUT CUP - Semi Final

2017WKCSF.png

It'll be a Superclasico final then, as Brazil beat rivals Portugal and Argentina beat Poland in two tight games. Will Lionel Messi finally win senior international honours, or will it be yet more glory for Brazil?

2017 WORLD KNOCKOUT CUP - Final

2017WKCFinal.png

So close, but yet so far again for Messi. He gave his side the early advantage when he struck before half time, but Neymar equalised just after it. When Neymar scored again early in extra time, it looked like being yet another international disappointment for Messi, but he set up Gonzalo Higuin to level things once again. Penalties did not go well for Argentina, missing 3 of their 4 spot kicks to lose 3-1. A tough way to lose, in any situation.

Just the Argentine title for Maradona! He never played in England or France, and won pretty much everything but the league with Barcelona.

He won two of four but never played in Spain or France. He did win the Italian Serie A though, so a pretty impressive record.

Good knowledge - he did. Heinze won the Premier League with United in 06/07, La Liga with Real Madrid in 07/08, Ligue 1 with Marseille in 09/10 and his home country's title with Newell's Old Boys in 2013.

So - which country's domestic reputation would you like to improve?

Lets go with the Czech Republic.

2017 AFRICA CUP OF NATIONS

2017AfricaGroupsAB.png

2017AfricaGroupsCD.png

2017AfricaKnockout.png

Some huge teams, not least Nigeria and Egypt, could not make it out of the group stage in what is an increasingly competitive continental competition. Gabon were tired from their exploits in the World Knockout Cup and lost a very winnable quarter final against DR Congo, who themselves were very unlucky to miss out on a final spot. In the final, Senegal held their nerve to win a tight game on penalties, for their first ever title.

2017 NORTH AMERICAN GOLD CUP

2017NAGroups.png

2017NAKnockout.png

With the Confederations Cup being played almost simultaneously, USA decided to send their B team, who performed admirably in finishing third. Costa Rica were a disappointment; the World Cup quarter finalists not even qualifying from their group, while Curucao had a stunning group stage. They were unfortunate not to continue the dream as they lost out in extra time to eventual finalists Jamaica. Honduras won their first tournament - only the second time in the tournament's 14 total editions that the winner was not either Mexico or the USA.

2017 CONFEDERATIONS CUP

2017ConfederationGroups.png

2017ConfederationKnockout.png

A European dominated tournament, with Colombia also joining the party. USA and Ivory Coast were bettered in Group A by the World Cup winners and the hosts, while Group B saw an antipodean failure at the hands of the eventual finalists. The Netherlands became just the third European winners of the tournament, after France (twice) and Denmark.

PLAYERS

2017Caps.png

Again, there are no new faces on the most-capped list, and with Casillas and Buffon not earning any further caps and also now having staff profiles, it looks like they'll end on 164 and 163 respectively. Bader Al-Motawa only played eight times in 2017 for Kuwait, but that was enough to see him become the most capped (male) footballer of all time with 188 caps. He's also only 32 - expect more to come yet!

2017Goals.png

Cristiano Ronaldo has retired from international football, and will not be adding to his 70 goals, which is a real shame. Lionel Messi though shows no signs of stopping as he surges onto the list. His Barcelona teammate Luis Suarez is not far behind, with 72 goals for Uruguay.

2017Stars.png

Lionel Messi is the first "perfect player" we've seen - hitting his potential of 200. A true legend of the sport. Ronaldo may not play for Portugal any longer, but he is still the second best footballer on the planet. Some shuffling around on this year's list, but these are the same ten players that made it last year.

2017Youth_1.png

Spanish full-back Nicolás Flores is the only new player on the list, as all other players make marked improvements in ability since last time around. USA's Neil Carr and Greece's Charilaos Apostolou are already considered good enough to represent their countries.

2017CSEYouth.png

As the number of youth stars increases, we will consider them on a different list to the "natural" youth players of the world. Tsotne Kvartskhava has had a great year, having now scored 51 in 64 for hometown club Dinamo Tbilisi and 18 in 15 for Georgia's U21s. He's also earned his first call-up to the senior squad at just 16, and will in June 2019 complete a £950k move to Russia's Lokomotiv Moscow. Not quite so stunning for Lexton Olivar just yet, but having been capped at U23 level and conceding a modest 18 in 18 for Ceres, he's one worth keeping an eye on.

2018 WORLD KNOCKOUT CUP - Second Round

Just a Number

Zlatan Ibrahimovic - Oldest Goalscorer (36 years 99 days)

National Pride

San Marino p2-2 Antigua & Barbuda

Highest Attendance

Mexico vs. Ukraine - 103,091

2018 WORLD KNOCKOUT CUP - Fourth Round

2018WKC4R.png

Instant impact for those boosted nations - Hungary and Georgia! Admittedly, Hungary have had a fairly easy route and African minnows Mauritania (who had been on a fantastic run to make this stage) were no exception. But in Benin, Estonia and Costa Rica, Georgia have had a tougher ride and will fancy their chances now against a resurgent Iraq - who have qualified for the upcoming World Cup - in the fifth round. Wonderkid Tsotne Kvartskhava made his debut against Benin and scored his first goal against Costa Rica.

2018 WORLD KNOCKOUT CUP - Fifth Round

2018WKC5R.png

What a run for Georgia this is turning into! The quarter finals beckon after they saw off Iraq - who were the first Asian side to reach this stage of the competition which is an impressive feat despite their subsequent loss. Panama, Finland and Hungary had had brilliant runs but sadly could not extend them, although Wales made the last eight for the second time in three years and Cameroon equaled Africa's best performance. This one could get very interesting!

2018 WORLD KNOCKOUT CUP - Quarter Final

2018WKCQF.png

Not to be for Georgia despite Kvartskhava's brace against the Czech Republic, but Wales won in Cameroon to reach the final four! Denmark edged a tight tie in Belgium and France demolished Germany. France are yet to lose over 90 minutes in the tournament's history - the only team that boast that record. Will this be their year?

2018 WORLD KNOCKOUT CUP - Semi Final

2018WKCSF.png

Sadly for the neutrals, there were no shocks in either semi-finals, but there were plenty of goals. France and Czech Republic both scored four, and will meet in the final in Paris.

Go Georgia! :D I hope they can win this one, would be really cool to see that. (ah damn, nothing, ninja'd by an update, go Denmark then)

BTW, what's Croatia been doing? I haven't seen them at all in the knockout cups.

They did well but ultimately were outmuscled! Croatia haven't been too good really, making only the 3rd round each time, but they have had some tough games:

2016 - 3rd round (2-2p v Nigeria)

2017 - 3rd round (1-2 v Colombia)

2018 - 3rd round (0-1e v France)

They also lost their World Cup Qualifying playoff to Switzerland, so won't be travelling to Russia in the summer of 2018.

Nooo, Denmark out too... as all the teams I supported were kicked out, I'll support France for the final! (hoping they lose and the Czech win :D)

Haha, nicely done ;)

Archived