Can't stop leaking goals. Any ideas?

I'm not doing too bad in terms of league position (currently 9th) but my GD is -5. Could be a lot better! Any ideas on how to improve the defense would be welcomed!

Current setup -

5Ybz

Current TI's

1PCq

Of the 47 goals conceded, 26 have come from crosses. I've tried pulling bot AML/R back into ML/MR roles but that hasn't stemmed the flow. Plus I much prefer the movement of the IF's when in attack.

I'm not great at analysing and relatively new to building a tactic so any advice is appreciated!

Why are you set so deep to defend? That's inviting the opposition to knock in crosses and putting your defenders on the back foot before they've even had a chance. As the above has suggested, a HB could be helpful here as it'll give you 3 CDs when defending and helps you have the better numbers when facing crosses.

I think there are other issues as well such as, when attacking, the short, slow, narrow play while also closing down the ball pretty quickly. What are you attempting to see attacking wise in your formation? It seems like a gradual possession tactic, that starts from the defenders and slowly crawls forward

I'm trying to get a patient build up that is not rushed. I found that if I'm too quick to attack they shoot from anywhere despite using "Work Ball into Box" and "Shoot less often". Trying to play possession football but I keep finding myself exposed. I'll try the suggestions above and see how that goes.

I'm trying to get a patient build up that is not rushed. I found that if I'm too quick to attack they shoot from anywhere despite using "Work Ball into Box" and "Shoot less often". Trying to play possession football but I keep finding myself exposed. I'll try the suggestions above and see how that goes.

I don't think patient build up needs to be slow, though. Personally I prefer seeing my players ping it around a bit, with a pace on it, looking to unlock defences caught off-guard by a steady approach, i.e., Left-flank to middle to right-flank and vice versa. If you are too slow, the defence can reset themselves over and over again which probably leads to some frustration in your players or an eventual lack of options - hence the long range shots.

Well that depends on your formation, I play a 5-3-2 in Brazil with a Roaming Playmaker, F9 and two Complete Wing Backs so there's a fair bit of movement around the box and from the halfway line to the opponents 12ish yards out wide. It's about controlling the game in the opponents half and winning turnovers, usually through forcing a hoof from the opponents defence which we then recycle quickly.

I went attacking and work ball into the box with a few Move into Channels personal instructions and a fluid mentality. Not much else than that. I know my team doesn't have the best passing or first touch ability, but when opponents are not marking the flanks, then a slightly off pass doesn't matter too much. There's space there after all.

You're extremely narrow and extremely deep. I can imagine this conceding an awful lot of space down your wings, specially to the opposition fullbacks. No wonder they have the space to hit lots of crosses.

This.

Also, with this set up Im surprised you re scoring! Front three are set up for no penetration!

Archived