Tactics help Aston villa

My first post on here so go easy please ha, I'm just looking for some tactical help with my aston villa save fm16. Was struggling winning only 2 league games up to November then changed my tactics and drew the next 4 and I seem to be much more solid in defence conceding only 2 goal in next 4 games BUT not creating many chances scoring only 2 myself

My team - 4-1-2-2-1

Sk - horn - distribute quick, and to full backs

Lb - amavi -wing back support

CB - llori - central defender cover

CB- okore/Richards - Central defender defend (both defenders pass it shorter)

Rb - peruzzi - wing back support

DM - romero/gueye - defensive mid defend

Cml - veretout - centre mid support

Cmr - henriksen - centre mid attack ( shoot less often )

Aml- grealish/Gil - inside forward support

Amr - traore/zivkovic - winger attack

St - ayew - complete forward support

Mentality - standard

team shape - flexible

Team instructions

Tempo higher - slightly higher line - offside trap - fairly wide - prevent short gk distribution - whipped crosses

I've got zuculini for centre midfield too on loan

Lying 18th with 13 points after 18 games

W-2 d-7 L-9

Ayew only scored 6 in 18 and only 11 goals in 18 for the whole team

Any advice, comments or suggestions would be much appreciated struggling this year

Why the winger on attack? If I'm right in thinking, he's more likely to get to the byline and knock in a cross. Occasionally you'll land a cross in with success, but with 1 support striker and an inside forward you'll arrive later, I'm not sure that'll produce enough goals.

Interesting to see as well the lack of a playmaker, some of the best philosophy-based teams do go out without one, but what was your reason behind it?

The winger on attack in my thinking was to be an 'out ball' sitting higher up the pitch, with his acceleration and pace and dribbling all being 17+ He could chase down clearances or quick counter ball forward

My reason behind two central midfielders was to tighten up my midfield having them support both defensive and attack with the support picking up passes from the dm or cb and looking for the passes to the wider men with the attack cm making runs in to support the cf. I chose not to have him as a dlp because I didn't want to limit it to just the one player looking for those passes it could come from either cm if needed

Makes sense, but I'm not sure I would be sold on the idea on a player focused on crossing but not dominating numbers in the centre of the opponents area.

I wonder if it's a lack of creativity then in the team since there's no playmaker. I understand why, but no steps have been taken to increase risk taking and creativity. Perhaps a midfielder cold have roam from position and makes risky passes? Or an extra team instruction. Otherwise it seems a bit too predictable

True no one to aim for from the crosses Any suggestions on the winger then??

It could be lack of creativity in the team or the fact rated worst in premier league in passing

Henriksen has ppm of tries killer balls often I thought that may have been enough to try creative balls do you think he needs telling to try more risky balls?

And the roam from postion I just don't want to lose me midfield shape

Sorry for taking a day to get back to you, was travelling back through that lovely storm we had :p

True no one to aim for from the crosses Any suggestions on the winger then??

Mmm, I don't tend to play with wingers often as I don't value the cross that much. Perhaps the Inside Forward as a Raumdeuter so will be a bit more forward and waiting in/around the back post for the wingers cross? You'd probably need to swap the winger then to support and go a bit more defensive with Amavi to make up for how forward that right wing will be. That'll help with the whipped crosses as well, you need someone on the last man who'll play a shot on the first go.

Henriksen has ppm of tries killer balls often I thought that may have been enough to try creative balls do you think he needs telling to try more risky balls?

What's his decisions attribute as? He might not be intelligent enough to know when to play it - could be worth testing it for a game and see how that goes?

And the roam from position I just don't want to lose me midfield shape

I'm not on my game at the moment to check how much shape you'd lose, but with a more solid supporting midfielder and DCM, he'll be covered. When playing with a DCM you have more licence to roam in front of him

Thanks for that, it all makes sense however things didn't improve and I got relegated but somehow have kept the job so during the pre season I'll be testing some of those suggestions or re evaluating and trying another tactic depending on who leaves etc

Ah damn! I guess the bit of progress is that you did better than Villa are at the moment? :p

You'll also have the summer to bring in a few more players who might suit your style and the new roles, instead of having to build the team around what you already have. Good luck and keep us posted during the pre-season

Haha as a villa fan that's harsh but true!

I'm still struggling with creating chances and getting the right tactic I smashed pre season with a 5-0 and 4-0 win against weaker opposition but still thought I'd got it down a bit better come to the start of the season 3-1 loss to Walsall, i don't know what to do to improve

Summer transfer window I lost peruzzi, zivkovic, Sinclair and henriksen for a total of £41.25 million mostly due to relagation realese Clauses

And brought in ademilson, sead kolasinac, Stephan sama, Carl jenkinson, and Nathan on loan and still got £20 mil to spent ...and got Lincoln coming in January.. Found it hard attracting players into the club

Latest tactic

Horn - gk- play short

Amavi/kolasinac Cwb (a)

Okore - bpd stopper

Richards - bpd cover

Jenkinson - Wb (s)

Romero/gueye - bwm (d)

Veretout - cm (s)

Grealish - if (s)

Nathan/Gil - am (a)

Traore - if (s)

Ademilson/ayew cf (s)

Attacking - fluid - play out of defence - be expressive

Any thoughts ?? It's still not working

Seem to be a lot of 'hit and hope' balls forwards and no support up top for through balls

Archived