Team Talk - "Do it for the fans!"

Just a general question, why does the "do it for the fans" team talk option never seem to get any reaction from my players? (in FM16 and previous games) I understand that a team's personality will have a drastic effect on how they react to team talks but I've played with many different teams, all differing in personality but I never, EVER seem to get a reaction from this option - be it positive or negative. Is there any reason for this?

Just a general question, why does the "do it for the fans" team talk option never seem to get any reaction from my players? (in FM16 and previous games) I understand that a team's personality will have a drastic effect on how they react to team talks but I've played with many different teams, all differing in personality but I never, EVER seem to get a reaction from this option - be it positive or negative. Is there any reason for this?

Key word is 'seem'. You're asking them to do a professional job in front of the fans. It's unlikely to get anyone's morale up or down obviously. It's more to get them more motivated. Have a look at the team talk feedback screen. You should see more detail there than what's apparent on the surface.

'Do it for the fans' is only used for Derby/Rival games

My impression is the same as the OP's. I only use it very sparingly, and specifically for derbies or rivalry matches, but there still seems to be little to no effect. You would think those would be the games where it makes most sense to give a little extra for the fans...

We lost to Manchester United last time so I've used it as an example.

777e5fad1eaabe3d9ba4292971b6cb6f.png

It's something to stir players if you're against rivals, teams you under-performed against etc. It's not something to be used often and ignore if your assistant tells you to use it. E.G "You're against a much lower team in the cup, tell them it's for the fans". The other way round being the minnow I could see it working, that way I can't. I'd also only use passionate to say it.

I have a professional squad though - and you're right that effects it.

Evidently SI believe the modern day footballer doesn't care about fans regardless of situation, personality or league level.

Which is probably true for 90% of modern day footballers... :(

Which is probably true for 90% of modern day footballers... :(

Lol it is unfortunatly true, it's why I never use it. That and I can think of 100 things better to say to get that bit more out of your players.

Taking full 100% control of your team talks would be good though.. Lol

I feel like it should matter more if you have more local players that are fans of the club, if I am Spurs and I tell that to Kane, Townsend, Mason and Pritchard they should care about it more than if I was United with Martial, Memphis, Herrera and Rojo.

I basically only ever use 'Good work keep it up' - when leading/doing well.

'Your unlucky' - when losing but playing v well/

'Assertive - I'm far from pleased (or such)' when losing.

Seems to work for me!

"Don't get complacent" at half time when leading 1-0 or 2-1 (or even 2-0) is very effective when you have professional squad. 80% of players "seem to gain focus" after those words

The "Do it for the fans" option is clearly best for rival games, but I find it useful in other areas as well. Generally, I tend to use it when playing big or tough matches - also against non-rivals. I once read in a guide that it "lays the foundation" for a good half-time talk and I have generally found this to be true.

Start with "do it for the fans" and go with "pleased" or "unlucky" at half-time. That does wonders for me in bigger games where we are slightly the underdog.

Another rule to follow is - whenever you see unusual option in team talks (for example - keep going and carry on from your previous performance), go for that. It has always given me positive results.

Really? For me it just tends to make my players nervous.

I generally go for the "no pressure" option pre-match, but then I generally manage minnows. Probably wouldn't work as well at Barcelona... ;)

Archived