Training a player in a new position?

Training is a bit different in FM16. Positional training isn't a "seperate item" like PPMs anymore.

You will have to change the player's "Positional Training" to the new position and a role in that position. So the player will focus on the attributes for the specific role and work on the new position in conjunction. There may be a bug in the game however, so you could see the positional development stopping at "competent" no matter how long you keep training it. The fix as far as I understand it is to change the focus to "Playing Position" while playing him in the new position.

I do this a lot with Wingers that I want to change to Inside Forwards. If I have a Left Winger I change the "Positional Training" to "Attacking Midfielder (Right)" and "Inside Forward". He then starts learning to play on the right hand side of the field and works on attributes for the role as an Inside Forward.

Training is a bit different in FM16. Positional training isn't a "seperate item" like PPMs anymore.

You will have to change the player's "Positional Training" to the new position and a role in that position. So the player will focus on the attributes for the specific role and work on the new position in conjunction. There may be a bug in the game however, so you could see the positional development stopping at "competent" no matter how long you keep training it. The fix as far as I understand it is to change the focus to "Playing Position" while playing him in the new position.

I do this a lot with Wingers that I want to change to Inside Forwards. If I have a Left Winger I change the "Positional Training" to "Attacking Midfielder (Right)" and "Inside Forward". He then starts learning to play on the right hand side of the field and works on attributes for the role as an Inside Forward.

So, if i want to train a player in MC, i need to select a MC role until i can select MC playing position?

Thats a bit stupid? I mean, was there anything wrong with the old way of training a player in a new position?

I'm all for innovating but this change doesn't really make sense to me.

Edit - Thanks for the explanation

So, if i want to train a player in MC, i need to select a MC role until i can select MC playing position?
If you want to train someone as an MC, it also makes sense to train him for a specific role in that position, right? The player doesn't have to be "Natural" in a position to play in it. I often place players in positions (like the IFs mentioned earlier) where there isn't even a dot on their profile. Playing in the position you want them to learn, helps them learn it faster.
Thats a bit stupid? I mean, was there anything wrong with the old way of training a player in a new position?

I'm all for innovating but this change doesn't really make sense to me.

In real life, how would you train someone for a position if you don't play the person in that position and train the attributes you want for the role they are going to play? E.g. my home team in real life had a promising Striker, but he never went beyond promising. A new coach came in and saw his potential as a Centre Back (DC). So, he placed him as a Central Back and worked with him on the "attributes" needed for that role. He went on to be one of the best DCs in the club, even though he never quite got rid of some of the nonchelant behavior he had acquired as a Striker and that did cause him some trouble from time to time.

Now, would he ever have learned to play as a DC if the coach hadn't placed him there, played him there, and worked on his defensive attributes?

So the training now rescembles real life more than before imho. You used to be able to train a Striker to become a Natural DC without him never having played a game in that position. That wasn't really realistic. Now it is. Again, imho.

Edit - Thanks for the explanation
You didn't have to edit that in, but you're welcome :)

So, i've played the player (Brendan Galloway) in the MC position for 5 pre season friendlies now. I've had him set to training Role - Roaming Midfield Play Maker and i'm not seeing even a slight improvement in his ability to play in this position.

I know it's only 5 games but i'd expect to see something.

I must say, i don't have a lot of confidence in the new system. I understand what you're saying regarding it mimicking real life but i feel that it's still a computer game and sometimes they should focus on usability rather than simulation.

So, i've played the player (Brendan Galloway) in the MC position for 5 pre season friendlies now. I've had him set to training Role - Roaming Midfield Play Maker and i'm not seeing even a slight improvement in his ability to play in this position.

I must say, i don't have a lot of confidence in the new system. I understand what you're saying regarding it mimicking real life but i feel that it's still a computer game and sometimes they should focus on usability rather than simulation.

The new system is better and more realistic than the previous way.

Also you're being unrealistic expecting to see improvements that soon. How quickly (if at all) he can learn a new position is down to his hidden attributes. But expecting miracles and changes after 5 friendlies is an issue with you and having unrealistic expectations.

The new system is better and more realistic than the previous way.

Also you're being unrealistic expecting to see improvements that soon. How quickly (if at all) he can learn a new position is down to his hidden attributes. But expecting miracles and changes after 5 friendlies is an issue with you and having unrealistic expectations.

I'm not expecting him to be Zidane after 5 games but some indication that it's actually working would be nice. Even a Orange dot on the Position Pitch notated with Unconvincing would be good.

Another thing; when i click the Position/Role dropdown i see `MC - Playing position`. However, when i select that item in the dropdown, it changes to DC.

Surely that can't be right?

This can't be right. I'm convinced this isn't working which means it'll be a pre-season wasted

The usability was made EASIER this year than before. It's really simple. Just train the player in the position you want him to learn, play the player in the position you want to play him. It will take longer than 5 games.

Quick question.......Why would you even play this game if a simulation is not what you're looking for?

Roaming playmaker is the most demanding role of all ,it trains many attributes the same time so it developes very slow ,you must compare it end of the year

I'm not talking about training him in the role but rather the position. Sorry, that should have been clearer.

The usability was made EASIER this year than before. It's really simple. Just train the player in the position you want him to learn, play the player in the position you want to play him. It will take longer than 5 games.

Quick question.......Why would you even play this game if a simulation is not what you're looking for?

I'm not sure I ever said simulation wasn't what i was looking for.

I actually said that sometimes usability should be chosen over simulation.

And it's not easier than last year. It may be more realistic but it's really not easier.

And it's not easier than last year. It may be more realistic but it's really not easier.

It's basically the same method still. So if you think this is harder then you must have felt the same last year too.

It's because you've been playing him in the DC position or still have him selected as that in the tactic currently. Advance a few days and try again.

I have him as MC in the tactic and have done since before pre-season. I haven't played him in any other position all pre-season.

It's basically the same method still. So if you think this is harder then you must have felt the same last year too.

Last year you can select a new position on the pitch to train a player in.

I can't do that this year, so in my experience, it isn't easier.

I should note that, according to my coaches, he has a lot of room for growth so i dont think it has anything to do with him reaching his potential already

When you say that usability should be chosen over simulation, you are IMPLYING that a simulation is not what you're looking for :brock:

The way I see it, the interface was simplified for usability. All you have to do is select the role you want him to play in the position you want him to learn. How is that not easy?

When you say that usability should be chosen over simulation, you are IMPLYING that a simulation is not what you're looking for :brock:

The way I see it, the interface was simplified for usability. All you have to do is select the role you want him to play in the position you want him to learn. How is that not easy?

Yes, in that one aspect, i would like usability over simulation. Not in every single instance of the game.

Because i've played him there for 7 games now and i'm not seeing even the slightest indication that he is in fact, training in the role.

Because every time i select the role i want in the training dropdown, it changes it to his natural position.

Compare that to last year

Player training > Select new position.

This could very well be a bug for me but this is what i'm seeing.

@ allyc 31

you don't pay attention , look

if i want my DC to learn MC position i must select a role ,

AAAA.png

BBBB.png

its easy

the difficult part is if and when he learns it

I literally implemented what you suggested weeks before the first pre-season game.

That exact thing

Another thing; when i click the Position/Role dropdown i see `MC - Playing position`. However, when i select that item in the dropdown, it changes to DC.

Surely that can't be right?

I get the same thing. I haven't really tested it, but my first instinct is that the player must be at a certain level in the position for it to "stick" has his "Playing Position". I just keep training the player in the role and never bother with "Playing Position" as the role I set when I retrain a player is also the role I want him to play and train when he gets accomplished in the position.

Archived