Some FM truths over the years

This isn't a gripe, it's just a list of things I've learned that you cannot do (or have to do) in FM that you probably would/wouldn't do in RL as a manager. They have been consistent for me since '09 or so.

Some of you may have experienced them and some may have never, but they are what I certainly believe to be true based off experience. If you have any of your own please share.

1. It doesn't matter if you have just steamrolled Arsenal, City, Utd, Chelsea, Barca and Spurs (as Liverpool), home and/or away with the same tactic and starting 11 (+/- a couple of players) if you are about to play Watford or Norwich etc away, you cannot use that tactic as you have been. Why change a dominating and winning tactic when playing a lesser team away while on a good run? You will lose 99% of the time if you do not. Or 1% of the time it's a 4-4 draw. Not that it can't happen, it's just that this is like the sun coming up in the East it's so predictable.

2. If you want to predictably and easily dominate away from home every time, just play on the counter.

3. If you are leading 1-0 and dominating and it's the 60-80th minute, do not, I repeat do not take minor logical steps to maintain that lead, they will equalize. Do not take that tired striker off and bring on a DM, do not tell the FBs to stay back, do not change from attacking to control or counter (and definitely not defend), do not turn that advanced playmaker into a ball winner. Just leave it all untouched and you will see it out. This is the one that I hate the most.

4. If a player comes to you about wanting to leave, he will generally pull a Raheem Sterling no matter what you say. Even the most professional player.

5. One year it was Carragher (FM 12 I think), this year it is Skrtel. You don't rotate him out no matter how much you want to because he will score from a corner, in at least every other game.

6. Scouts are the biggest temper tantrum pitching babies during negotiations. 'Oh you think so highly of me that you want me to be a coach? Or head of youth development? Screw you these negotiations are over!'

7. 'I play for Gelsenkirchen and Liverpool want to sign me? I have zero interest in playing for you but I'll sign for Strömsbergs IF tomorrow.

What's your predictable FM things?

This isn't a gripe, it's just a list of things I've learned that you cannot do (or have to do) in FM that you probably would/wouldn't do in RL as a manager. They have been consistent for me since '09 or so.

Some of you may have experienced them and some may have never, but they are what I certainly believe to be true based off experience. If you have any of your own please share.

1. It doesn't matter if you have just steamrolled Arsenal, City, Utd, Chelsea, Barca and Spurs (as Liverpool), home and/or away with the same tactic and starting 11 (+/- a couple of players) if you are about to play Watford or Norwich etc away, you cannot use that tactic as you have been. Why change a dominating and winning tactic when playing a lesser team away while on a good run? You will lose 99% of the time if you do not. Or 1% of the time it's a 4-4 draw. Not that it can't happen, it's just that this is like the sun coming up in the East it's so predictable.

2. If you want to predictably and easily dominate away from home every time, just play on the counter.

3. If you are leading 1-0 and dominating and it's the 60-80th minute, do not, I repeat do not take minor logical steps to maintain that lead, they will equalize. Do not take that tired striker off and bring on a DM, do not tell the FBs to stay back, do not change from attacking to control or counter (and definitely not defend), do not turn that advanced playmaker into a ball winner. Just leave it all untouched and you will see it out. This is the one that I hate the most.

4. If a player comes to you about wanting to leave, he will generally pull a Raheem Sterling no matter what you say. Even the most professional player.

5. One year it was Carragher (FM 12 I think), this year it is Skrtel. You don't rotate him out no matter how much you want to because he will score from a corner, in at least every other game.

6. Scouts are the biggest temper tantrum pitching babies during negotiations. 'Oh you think so highly of me that you want me to be a coach? Or head of youth development? Screw you these negotiations are over!'

7. 'I play for Gelsenkirchen and Liverpool want to sign me? I have zero interest in playing for you but I'll sign for Strömsbergs IF tomorrow.

What's your predictable FM things?

Not my predictable things but just in response to what you're saying there (as i don't really agree with some)

1: A tactic may work against teams that attack you, but maybe not teams that defend/counter against you (hence why it fails against poorer teams)

2: Counter attacking away from home is generally how most teams play (excluding some of the top teams on occasions). Just need to look at how Liverpool have played under Klopp against the top teams as an example there. Going attacking against good teams away from home will leave you vulnerable

3: Depending on how the game is playing i decide on a game-by-game basis on how i will look to see games out. If i'm coming under pressure i look to play on the counter so i have numbers back but am still a threat going forward. If i'm dominating the match and don't really look like conceding, i tend to avoid change. May be very minor changes like Full backs mentality and keeping both my cm's back Very Rarely go all out defensive apart from the very final few minutes. Also i'm wary of making changes my team is not familiar with. I have 2 back up tactics trained for each moment

4: Only had a few players asking to leave. I don't recall having any problems keeping them at the club if i want them too

5: I (also lfc) Kept Skrtel and Sakho as cb's for my first season. He had two goals lol ( i assume you're exaggerating slightly there though)

6: I don't think there's anything wrong there. Some people may be happy to take on a new role, some are not so interested. I've tried to change Alex Inglethorpe to Chief Scout but he's not interested. I've successfully hired staff in scouting roles who aren't scouts though by offering more money. It just depends on the individual

7: Never had that. I've had players reject me for other clubs many times but, the reasons have always been there (more money has been the general reason)

Archived