[FM16] Dafuge Challenge - Matlock Town, The Rise of the Derbyshire Gladiators

Rick87

5100053_zps20uvbv2y.png

Welcome one and all to my attempt at the Dafuge challenge, for anyone who is unfamiliar with the challenge, the task is to holiday for a year and then take over one of the teams who are promoted into the Conference North/South and eventually guide them all the way up to the Premiership and someday win the Champions League.

The six teams promoted from step three were; Dorchester Town, Redditch United, Kingstonian, Skelmersdale United, Matlock Town and Billericay Town. I opted for Matlock as I like the actual town of Matlock, or more specifically Matlock Bath which is a beautiful place in the Peak district that is well worth a visit.

Here is my profile, everything is true to life;

1_zps5xgpkvcl.png

I gave myself a slightly higher rating in fitness coaching than the other attributes as I have completed a couple of qualifications in fitness instruction.

Club information;

4_zpsumhervwa.png

At odds of 500-1 to win the league, Matlock are predicted to come dead last in the Conference North this season. It will be my job to prevent that from happening and keep the Gladiators out of the bottom three;

2_zpsbr7hrz5y.png

And here is the squad I have at my disposal to help me with that task as of day one;

3_zps3rhuo46v.png

To be fair it's a decent squad with strength in depth and I probably don't need to make wholesale changes, I'll wait until later in the see how we are performing before rushing into changes and risk de-stabilising morale and team cohesion.

Judging by that picture, your assistant looks a bit young. ;)

Good luck, though! :thup:

Haha Thanks, she's a little young but with a bright future in the game.:D

5100053_zps20uvbv2y.png

Pre-Season 2016/17

1_zpstrpbqaf5.png

A fairly uninspiring set of results from pre-season, certainly not anything to suggest we might go on to upset the applecart a bit. I was particularly disappointed with the manner of our 3-0 defeat at the hands of arch rivals Buxton in the Peak District pre-season championship where we were abysmal in every department.

I have had to sign a few new recruits after both Scott Maxwell and Liam Needham decided to retire, Maxwell was 39 so that was no surprise, however Needham was only 30 and still very much part of my plans which was frustrating. Both of them stay with the club among the backroom staff as assistant manager and a scout respectively.

Chris Palmer - A well travelled left winger who has played in the football league for Notts County, Wycombe, Walsall and Burton before stints with various non-league clubs throughout the Midlands. He should have been able to do a job for us on the left flank this season, that was before he tore a calf muscle in the win over Sheffield FC, ruling him out for six months. :rolleyes:

Tom Mellors - Released by Derby in the summer, I was quick to snap him up after a short trial. A promising young forward who could get plenty of goals at this level.

Justin Thompson-Lee - Something of a last minute draftee on loan from Reading after both of my right wingers picked up injuries ruling them out until mid-September, admittedly I didn't do any scouting on him, he was recommended to me by my assistant Scott Maxwell and I trusted his judgement. Looks a decent enough young lad who should at least tide us over until the others are fit again.

Corey Addai - I only had one keeper on the books when I took charge so this situation needed addressing, Corey came through the ranks at Arsenal before being allowed to join Coventry City for free in 2013/14 but he failed to make the grade with the sky blues, hopefully he will find his level here instead.

First up we have North Ferriby at home before a trip to Reddich.

Archived