Squad Player Quality

I have a specific dilemma I am facing and would like advice, but happy to open this up to a general discussion about 1st Team players Vs Squad Depth.

I currently have:

1 World Class Right Back that got an average rating of 7.82 last season and Sam Byram (Home-Grown Player at the peak of his ability) as cover

2 World Class Centre Backs with Joe Gomez (trained at nation, solid backup with potential to grow a little) and Harry Souttar (Home-grown and developed into solid backup)

1 Very Good Left Back that plays well and has the ability to grow a little more and Charlie Taylor (Home-Grown Player at the peak of his ability) as cover

After scouting the 2022 World Cup (Moved from Qatar to China) the scouts found a 5 Star potential Centre Back that isn't quite as good yet as my 2 WC CBs.

My question is: Do I buy this player and slowly make him a first team CB replacing 1 of my CBs and sell Joe Gomez or do I keep things the way they are.

Background: I have recently lost the Champions League final and finished 4th. The CB in question is 23 and doesn't speak English.

--

More of a general discussion: What are your tactics with regards to a Go To First XI Vs a 22+ man squad of similar ability and rotate?

I've always aimed for a 25-man squad with an ideal first XI in mind, but happy for any possible combination. I fear that I keep developing into Liverpool with a squad full of nearly players rather than a Barcelona with a World Beating XI and little strength in depth.

How do you handle keeping all squad players happy if you have World Class players in every position?

I have a specific dilemma I am facing and would like advice, but happy to open this up to a general discussion about 1st Team players Vs Squad Depth.

I currently have:

1 World Class Right Back that got an average rating of 7.82 last season and Sam Byram (Home-Grown Player at the peak of his ability) as cover

2 World Class Centre Backs with Joe Gomez (trained at nation, solid backup with potential to grow a little) and Harry Souttar (Home-grown and developed into solid backup)

1 Very Good Left Back that plays well and has the ability to grow a little more and Charlie Taylor (Home-Grown Player at the peak of his ability) as cover

After scouting the 2022 World Cup (Moved from Qatar to China) the scouts found a 5 Star potential Centre Back that isn't quite as good yet as my 2 WC CBs.

My question is: Do I buy this player and slowly make him a first team CB replacing 1 of my CBs and sell Joe Gomez or do I keep things the way they are.

Background: I have recently lost the Champions League final and finished 4th. The CB in question is 23 and doesn't speak English.

--

More of a general discussion: What are your tactics with regards to a Go To First XI Vs a 22+ man squad of similar ability and rotate?

I've always aimed for a 25-man squad with an ideal first XI in mind, but happy for any possible combination. I fear that I keep developing into Liverpool with a squad full of nearly players rather than a Barcelona with a World Beating XI and little strength in depth.

How do you handle keeping all squad players happy if you have World Class players in every position?

I've never managed a club with 'World Class' players in it. I usually tend to manage smaller lower profile teams. But if I was in you position I would get as strong a first 11 as possible and not worry too much about the squad players as I would try and play my strongest 11 in each match. I know that's not possible and you do need to rotate sometimes, but I would only rotate when my players are tired. I guess I would field weakened teams in the FA and League Cups. I doubt I'd be too bothered if I went out early in those. But I'd concentrate fully on the Champions League and Premier League.

I'd guess the best way to keep 'World Class' players happy would be to play them as often as possible and (hopefully) win something or go close to winning something.

I think the team your managing is a world away from mine, but that's how I'd approach things if I was in your position.

Archived