Getting FM07 to run on Windows 10

A while ago MS decided to remove the support for Safedisc DRM. This DRM used to be responsible for those annoying CD checks that were used for games such as the FMs before steam (FM 2005 to 2009 I believe). The reason for the removal of the support is that it caused insurmountable security issues, but the result is that older versions of FM can no longer be played at all. There are a number of ways to get around the issue, but the easiest and cleanest would be if SI would simply release no-CD patches for these FMs. They're no longer sold by Sega, it's unlikely they will ever be again, and it would be nice for people who'd like to play the older FMs again every once in a while without hassle.

Some of the older non-steam versions have had in-tray activation patched out. Just make sure you're use a legitimate copy & have installed the last official patch that was released.

Some of the older non-steam versions have had in-tray activation patched out. Just make sure you're use a legitimate copy & have installed the last official patch that was released.

I have no idea what in-tray activation is. In any case, with FM07 the latest patch (build 7.02 94912) does not lift the CD check.

In-tray means the CD has to be in the drive at all times.

AFAIK there should be no issues with FM07, if you own a copy you can still play that version.

Let me get this straight, are you saying that less than half a year after FM07 was released a patch lifted the DRM? And we are talking about 7.0.2 build 94912, which as far as I know was the final patch?

I have tried FM07 on a computer with Windows 10 and the game will not run at all. On another computer with Windows 7 I have removed the MS update that disables Safedisc and I'm required to insert the CD before I can play, as always has been the case.

Unless there's some other patch I know nothing about, what you are claiming isn't correct.

7.0.2 didn't remove the activation part for FM07.

I don't know if there was a later patch for FM07 that did or not.

FM09 is the first that is still linked at the top of the forum and it did have a final patch that removed the activation part.

The first issue is that for obvious reasons Windows 10 is not supported for FM07, have you attempted running it in compatibility mode?

To satisfy my own curiosity I'm in the process of installing my copy of FM07 as I am also running Windows 10.

Edit: The game installed but will not launch & I had no joy running in compatibility mode so my gut feeling is that the game will not run on Windows 10 installed which is not that surprising & is the negative aspect of advancement.

I'll ask one of the tech forum mods if there is a known solution to get FM07 to run on Windows 10.

Compatibility mode isn't going to do anything. I think you're completely missing what I've been talking about: the issue is that MS has disabled or outright removed secdrv.sys in Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10. This driver supports SafeDisc DRM, used by pre-steam versions of FM (FM07 at least, not fully sure about others). The result is that when you start the game you get a message that says "Please login with administrator privileges and try again" and the game fails to run. Nothing you do aside of re-enabling secdrv.sys or circumventing the DRM some other way will get the game running again.

This isn't just an issue with FM, it has been plaguing legacy games all over, since hundreds of games require secdrv.sys to run. You can read about it here: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/23/windows-update-disables-safedisc-drm-7-8-vista/

With a number of games a solution has been to repurchase the game through steam, but Sega doesn't even sell last year's version of FM anymore, so I doubt they're going to resell pre-2010 version of FM through steam anytime soon. OTOH a number of developers have released patches that removes the DRM from such legacy games and I'm asking SI to do as well.

I've asked the relevant people for assistance but as you've pointed out getting older games (or any outdated software) to run on newer operating systems is not a new problem.

btw I changed the thread title to better describe your issue & I do not want people to think it's okay to ask for no-CD cracks.

I've lost functionality on Office 2006 because it is not supported on Windows 10, that's what happens as new operating systems are introduced.

FM07 will still work without any issue on older operating systems.

No, it will not. Windows Vista, 7 and 8 have the same issue with secdrv.sys and Safedisc DRM as Windows 10. I can only run FM07 on Windows 7 because I have removed the MS update that disables secdrv.sys, thereby exposing the computer to security risks. The new title you've given to this thread really doesn't reflect the issue I'm talking about.

Thanks for notifying the higher-ups though.

No, it will not. Windows Vista, 7 and 8 have the same issue with secdrv.sys and Safedisc DRM as Windows 10. I can only run FM07 on Windows 7 because I have removed the MS update that disables secdrv.sys, thereby exposing the computer to security risks. The new title you've given to this thread really doesn't reflect the issue I'm talking about.

Thanks for notifying the higher-ups though.

I didn't have any issues running FM07 on Vista or W7.

I also feel that the title perfectly describes your problem as SI will not be releasing updates for older versions to make them work on newer operating systems the issue that is left to resolve is getting FM07 working on your system & the title increases the chances of someone with a solution noticing the thread.

I have windows 10 and my FM07 works.

Chob, can you confirm how you got FM07 running on W10?

Uhm actually I'm going to take some of my words back. When I originally encountered the issue months ago I was unable to run FM07 as well as other games with CD-check. I fixed it by removing the MS update as I said before. So at the time the disabled secdrv.sys really was creating problems on Windows 7. However, I've just gone back to check and as it turns out that the MS update has been restored even though these games run normally. I'm not sure what happened, maybe a new MS update fixed the issues?

So in short: yes, it's just still Windows 10 where it's not possible to play FM07 because of Safedisc DRM.

Scrap everything I said above. I had made other changes on the Windows 7 computer to re-enable secdrv.sys.

So I repeat once more: this is not just an issue with Windows 10 and it also affects Windows Vista to 8. Fiddling around with compatibility modes and such is not going to fix it.

When was that? The MS update only was released last September.

It would be a shot in the dark on when I last installed FM07 when I was use Windows 7.

Hopefully Chob checks in & details how he got FM07 to run or someone else offers a solution, unfortunately I do not have the time to figure out through trial & error.

Sorry I can't be of any further help.

It would be a shot in the dark on when I last installed FM07 when I was use Windows 7.

I guarantee you that was before the MS update that disables secdrv.sys. Go ahead and try to install it again on an updated Windows 7 should you have the chance. It's not going to work.

I'm not asking you to offer a solution. I know what solutions there are: re-enable secdrv.sys (thereby exposing myself to a security risk), circumvent the DRM, or install a patch that disables the DRM. So what I'm asking is that SI provides me a legitimate, secure way to let me play the game.

I also feel that the title perfectly describes your problem as SI will not be releasing updates for older versions to make them work on newer operating systems the issue that is left to resolve is getting FM07 working on your system & the title increases the chances of someone with a solution noticing the thread.

Chob, can you confirm how you got FM07 running on W10?

I didn't do anything to be honest. I upgraded from windows 7 to 10 but FM07 was already installed when i upgraded. I was playing in windowed mode if that helps.

I'm gonna look at it when i get home and see if there's anything different going on.

You know, the solution in post #21 amounts to the same thing as that other solution that cannot be discussed.

Anyhow, I did start this thread to ask to provide patches for pre-steam versions (or at least authenticate or resell these games through steam) so that there's a legitimate, secure way to keep playing them. I know: SI doesn't patch older versions, but I feel it's different in this case as it's the DRM they have included with the game that's breaking it.

Archived