Half Back Player Role

Hi All,

I want to create a new tactic for a new save (Liverpool/Valencia) and was thinking about the idea of using a Half Back, since this role got introduced a couple of years ago into FM I've tried to implement it to no avail, in my head I see the Half Back as the position Steven Gerrard played in the 13/14 season Liverpool nearly won the Prem.

Just wanted to see if any you guys have had any success with that role and have you used it as an individual and within a team.

Hi All,

I want to create a new tactic for a new save (Liverpool/Valencia) and was thinking about the idea of using a Half Back, since this role got introduced a couple of years ago into FM I've tried to implement it to no avail, in my head I see the Half Back as the position Steven Gerrard played in the 13/14 season Liverpool nearly won the Prem.

Just wanted to see if any you guys have had any success with that role and have you used it as an individual and within a team.

I have it working well with Iborra playing in that role for everton. The role is only useful if playing a high presssing and high defensive line i believe. People may have it working other ways but works well if your full backs are attcking alot.

I think half back is the natural choice for a narrow 4-1-3-2, where the wingbacks have to get forward to provide an attacking presence in wide areas. I used it repeatedly in FM15 with some success. I don't think the HB in FM has much offensive influence, though. I would probably label Gerrard a DLP or roaming playmaker.

I think half back is the natural choice for a narrow 4-1-3-2, where the wingbacks have to get forward to provide an attacking presence in wide areas. I used it repeatedly in FM15 with some success. I don't think the HB in FM has much offensive influence, though. I would probably label Gerrard a DLP or roaming playmaker.

I was thinking Gerrard more in the way he used to come deep to split the centre halfs when recycling possession. I've decided to go with Herne's 4-4-2 at the moment see how that gets on

I would have thought half-back was more of a defensive role than the one Gerrard performed. Almost like an additional centre back when one is needed. Perhaps like a sweeper who's positioned in front, rather than behind the defence. (I'm just speculating though, I haven't used it myself in game.)

I would have thought half-back was more of a defensive role than the one Gerrard performed. Almost like an additional centre back when one is needed. Perhaps like a sweeper who's positioned in front, rather than behind the defence. (I'm just speculating though, I haven't used it myself in game.)

I imagine Gerrard as more of a regista.....I can't even think of an example of a half back in real life. I can't think of a team that plays one. Most use ball winning midfielders instead.

I imagine Gerrard as more of a regista.....I can't even think of an example of a half back in real life. I can't think of a team that plays one. Most use ball winning midfielders instead.

If I'm being honest, I think there are far too many different roles to choose from for the DMC position. Some of them are remarkably similar to one another when you read the descriptions.

I was thinking Gerrard more in the way he used to come deep to split the centre halfs when recycling possession. I've decided to go with Herne's 4-4-2 at the moment see how that gets on

If you find that it works for you, then great.

Just remember that the system is set up in a very specific way, and I play in a certain manner as well, so it may not work for you.

My thread is more about helping people with ideas rather than "here's a tactic, go play with it" :).

I have used the half back role as the base of a narrow diamond for the last three versions. Earlier the half back seemed to do a better job of splitting the DCs in possession, covering fullbacks that push forward. 41212 becomes more of a 343 or at least 3223 in possession based on avg player position. This year that effect seems less pronounced. It is still quite a constructive role, the HB is great for keeping possession - but doesn't generally attempt the more progressive passing of the DLP or Regista. Out of possession the role stays very central and front-screens the DCs - although mileage may vary based on your tactics. I have seen it work for a wide variety of players from Gareth Barry (extra DC sized midfielder) to Andres Cubas (physically small technician). It's my preferred role for a DMC in a narrow formation.

I adore the half back role, I'm using it as Valencia in 2020 in my 4-1-2-2-1 wide (4-3-3 basically). I don't really use him like Gerrard as a playmaker though, you could probably use a DLP (D) for that since he will still drop between the centre backs to start build-up play I think. What I use the HB for is to drop between the centre backs and allow the full backs to overlap, meaning the IFs can drift inside and we still have width. Then it becomes a 3-4-3 and we have three men back. The HB is so good at breaking down counter-attacks and sustaining our own attacks when our initial attack breaks down. But with the players I have now I'd say it's mostly useful as a defensive role.

Gerrard definitely dropped in between the two central defenders a lot...if you remember it was this position he was in when he slipped against Chelsea..he received the ball from Sakho and Skrtel went wider...Gerrard would then regularly look to start attacks with his long range passing.

In fm Gerrard that season would be a half back in my opinion,but more often he played as a deep lying playmaker role not too dissimilar to how Xabi Alonso plays...both have superb short and long range passing that can change defence into attack instantly like a quarterback as someone above me said.

Gerrard definitely dropped in between the two central defenders a lot...if you remember it was this position he was in when he slipped against Chelsea..he received the ball from Sakho and Skrtel went wider...Gerrard would then regularly look to start attacks with his long range passing.

In fm Gerrard that season would be a half back in my opinion,but more often he played as a deep lying playmaker role not too dissimilar to how Xabi Alonso plays...both have superb short and long range passing that can change defence into attack instantly like a quarterback as someone above me said.

Yeah but I see a half back as someone that stays back and refrains from joining in on any attack as to be ready to break up a counter and keep men back just in case. Gerrard still got in on attack. I used a regista with Illeramendi and Sociedad and he always dropped between the CBs to get possession but still could pick out players to start a counter and join an attack. Thats why I see Gerrard as more of a regista. I'm struggling with this year's game though so I am not really a good authority for any advice right now hahaha

I believe the Half Back role was based on Sergio Busquets under Pep and Barcelona. The idea was he would drop into a back 3, allowing Alves and Alba to push really high becoming a 3-4-3 rather than their usual 4-3-3.

To be honest I feel the concept of centre backs splitting is not something FM does correctly yet. At my club (AFC Bournemouth) our Centre Backs go very wide in possession and Andrew Surman drops in between. The thing is Surman is not even close to a HB (I'd say DLP (d) from DMC position) in real life, but even if you try to play a HB in FM you don't get anything like the split.

I'd be very interested if anyone has been able to achieve the CB split.

If I'm being honest, I think there are far too many different roles to choose from for the DMC position. Some of them are remarkably similar to one another when you read the descriptions.

I don't agree, there's some pretty clear differences.

First, there's the creative roles:

Deep-lying playmaker - this is a creative player that's expected to have some technical ability but he's mostly quite static and doesn't move around much. Think someone like a Xabi Alonso or a Carrick.

Regista - this is the DLP on steroids with extra creative freedom and is expected to roam around the midfield quite a bit finding space for a pass. This is pretty much Andrea Pirlo.

Roaming playmaker - this is perhaps a little like the regista on further steroids. Beyond being expected to dictate play by passing the ball to others, he's also expected to run forward himself and make himself available in dangerous positions as a destination for the passes too. Maybe even dribble a little in possession. I don't know who plays like this in real life from the DM position... Pogba?

The other roles:

Half-back - pretty much Sergio Busquets. He still contributes to a possession-based style like the DLP and the creative roles, but perhaps with a little less freedom and also doubles up as an extra centre-back when needed which the deep-lying playmaker doesn't do.

Defensive midfielder - the standard role, plays like the usual DM without any particular characteristics. Pretty static with no special movements, isn't expected to do anything with the ball bar pass it simple to others to deal with it.

Anchorman - extremely static, zero creative freedom, basically sits just in front of the CBs and goes nowhere all game. Has no problem hoofing the ball up if there's not any other obvious solution. A rudimentary version of a DM.

Ball-winning midfielder - *NOT* necessarily the most common type of DM in real life, like someone else was saying in this thread. This is a defensive-minded role like the "defensive midfielder", the difference is that unlike the standard DM, he runs out of position a lot to close down on players and will dive into tackles harder than a common DM. In past FMs used to be a bit of a headless chicken type of role, which could open up gaps in your defence if you're not careful by having someone else in a more static role next to him.

It's up for debate if we do really need all of them, but there are differences between all of them...

Ball-winning midfielder - *NOT* necessarily the most common type of DM in real life, like someone else was saying in this thread.

That was me. What I meant was everyone I try to think of as that super defensive, stay back half back is a ball winning midfielder instead. Teams seem to prefer that over a half back. The people I am thinking of are people like Coquelin, Colback, Tiote, Cattermole, Luiz Gustavo, people like that.

But the half-back isn't really a super defensive stay back type player. Think of Busquets, he might not be expected to playmake as much as a DLP but he does need a bit of technical ability and the simple fact of fielding a half-back tells the game to split the centre-backs defenders wide, for the sake of easier possession triangles when starting moves from the back (ie goal kicks from your own goalkeeper). Much like Busquets I find it that in-game he doesn't really stay back within the CBs as moves progress upfield, as he goes a bit further up back to DM position and even a little beyond when necessary to kill off moves (ie has high closing down), but is nowhere near as reckless in this closing down as a ball-winning midfielder.

Yeah but I see a half back as someone that stays back and refrains from joining in on any attack as to be ready to break up a counter and keep men back just in case. Gerrard still got in on attack. I used a regista with Illeramendi and Sociedad and he always dropped between the CBs to get possession but still could pick out players to start a counter and join an attack. Thats why I see Gerrard as more of a regista. I'm struggling with this year's game though so I am not really a good authority for any advice right now hahaha

To be honest I've never used the regista role but I'm a big fan of the half back role...to me it sounded like it fitted the role of Gerrard under Rodgers...but you could have a good point and the regista could well be Gerrard overall...I just saw him dropping in between Skrtel and Sakho often and to me it sounded like half back.

Interesting also about you being Sociedad...I'm playing as them right now in a 4-3-3 with Illaremendi as either half back or DLP and I'm loving it so far.

Deep-lying playmaker - this is a creative player that's expected to have some technical ability but he's mostly quite static and doesn't move around much. Think someone like a Xabi Alonso or a Carrick.

Regista - this is the DLP on steroids with extra creative freedom and is expected to roam around the midfield quite a bit finding space for a pass. This is pretty much Andrea Pirlo.

Roaming playmaker - this is perhaps a little like the regista on further steroids. Beyond being expected to dictate play by passing the ball to others, he's also expected to run forward himself and make himself available in dangerous positions as a destination for the passes too. Maybe even dribble a little in possession. I don't know who plays like this in real life from the DM position... Pogba?

The other roles:

Half-back - pretty much Sergio Busquets. He still contributes to a possession-based style like the DLP and the creative roles, but perhaps with a little less freedom and also doubles up as an extra centre-back when needed which the deep-lying playmaker doesn't do.

Defensive midfielder - the standard role, plays like the usual DM without any particular characteristics. Pretty static with no special movements, isn't expected to do anything with the ball bar pass it simple to others to deal with it.

Anchorman - extremely static, zero creative freedom, basically sits just in front of the CBs and goes nowhere all game. Has no problem hoofing the ball up if there's not any other obvious solution. A rudimentary version of a DM.

Ball-winning midfielder - *NOT* necessarily the most common type of DM in real life, like someone else was saying in this thread. This is a defensive-minded role like the "defensive midfielder", the difference is that unlike the standard DM, he runs out of position a lot to close down on players and will dive into tackles harder than a common DM. In past FMs used to be a bit of a headless chicken type of role, which could open up gaps in your defence if you're not careful by having someone else in a more static role next to him.

It's up for debate if we do really need all of them, but there are differences between all of them...

So good explaination ! Thanks Man!

But the half-back isn't really a super defensive stay back type player. Think of Busquets, he might not be expected to playmake as much as a DLP but he does need a bit of technical ability and the simple fact of fielding a half-back tells the game to split the centre-backs defenders wide, for the sake of easier possession triangles when starting moves from the back (ie goal kicks from your own goalkeeper). Much like Busquets I find it that in-game he doesn't really stay back within the CBs as moves progress upfield, as he goes a bit further up back to DM position and even a little beyond when necessary to kill off moves (ie has high closing down), but is nowhere near as reckless in this closing down as a ball-winning midfielder.

Just FYI, I would classify Busquets as DLP now considering the last couple of seasons and the role he has on the team. Under Pep, yes, he was a HB.

The other roles:

There's very minimal differences, I think it can be overkill at times. Not very much difference between deep-lying playmaker, roaming playmaker and regista for me. Anchorman and defensive midfielder - both similar defence-minded roles aren't they? I'm not saying they're not all different, I'm saying we could easily cope with just deep-lying PM, defensive midfielder, and ball-winning midfielder as three options couldn't we? You either want them there to pass (playmaker), run around crunching people (ball-winner) or do a bit of both to some degree (defensive midfielder). Especially when you can further clarify these roles with the duty you select (defend/support).

Anyway, I think I've drifted off the initial point somewhat. To be fair this is the first game I've got since 13, and before that it was 09, so you can probably see why I'd think there's suddenly too many options. It just makes it difficult to know which one best conveys what you want them to do.

Archived