Wing Back Defend vs Full Back Defend

Hi guys,

I always wondered what's the difference between those 2 roles. They have the exact same player instructions and mentality in-game.

I read their description, but I struggle understanding how they could play a different way with the same PIs and mentality.

Any help would be appreciated :)

I feel like their initial position has almost no impact on the game compared to the mentality they have. And therefore they play the same.

Example with different roles and duties. I play with a Wing Back Support (+ dribble more & run wide with ball) on the left and a Full Back Support (+ dribble less & cross from deep) on the right. Result: my full back support sits higher on the pitch most of the time, whether my team has the ball or not. I'm not complaining about it because my players are doing what I want them to do, but I'm confused about those roles I created the topic about.

I feel like their initial position has almost no impact on the game compared to the mentality they have. And therefore they play the same.

Example with different roles and duties. I play with a Wing Back Support (+ dribble more & run wide with ball) on the left and a Full Back Support (+ dribble less & cross from deep) on the right. Result: my full back support sits higher on the pitch most of the time, whether my team has the ball or not. I'm not complaining about it because my players are doing what I want them to do, but I'm confused about those roles I created the topic about.

Nevertheless, the wingback starts higher up and doesn't track back as far in your normal defensive shape (until he gets challenged down his side). What you are seeing on the pitch could be down to how the game unfolds in front of your players and how the opposition is lining up. I'll be honest, I don't see a great deal of difference between the two, but the wingback in general not only has a higher position in the d-line, but also a slightly higher mentality in that the wingback has the PI "get further forward" hardcoded into the role. As I said, though, a lot depends on how you setup around him and what the opposition is doing as to how he will actually play.

a slightly higher mentality in that the wingback has the PI "get further forward" hardcoded into the role.

Thank you Dr. Hook, that's what I wanted to know.

I think this difference should be more obvious in-game. I don't really understand the point of hardcoding something like this..

Thank you Dr. Hook, that's what I wanted to know.

I think this difference should be more obvious in-game. I don't really understand the point of hardcoding something like this..

I guess it is to create a distinctly different role. I would like to see roles done away with, or at least just set as templates with everything negotiable about them. Hopefully in the near future :)

Archived