Cut inside vs cut inside and sitting narrow.

Recently someone asked me while i was playing FM 16 about the difference in effectiveness between cutting inside and cutting inside with sitting narrower. To be honest i was not able to answer his question as it was asked point-blank to me in the comfort of my living room. A while later, i began playing around with the PIs and came to a few conclusions. Depending on the type of player you use, asking a cutting inside player such as an IF or WM to sit narrower produces some different results. If say for example, i have a good finisher, telling him to sit narrower brings him closer to the heart of the penalty area to do more goal-scoring damage. Whereas if i have a particularly agile and fast player, simply asking him to cut inside with dribbling more turns him into quite a creative threat. Then there is also the issue of footedness. Asking an even-footed player to cut in might sound counter-productive but if this player has poor finishing and long shots, doing so will prevent him from having a propensity to take a shot after cutting in since he would be on his weaker foot, ending up developing the play further by bringing the ball inside and passing it to better positioned players. Another issue i found with sitting narrower is that it sort of robs the player of the space to cut in since he would already be in more central areas. To be honest i found no difference between cutting inside and narrower with sitting narrower alone. I am interested in hearing about your opinions on this issue. Cheers!

Sit narrower - An off the ball movement during attack(I remember someone saying it's only affects attacking moves so don't blame me if I'm wrong)

Cut inside with the ball - With the ball movement

If a player is asked to sit narrower, that doesn't mean he will be narrow during defending as your formation represents your defending shape. So if he gets the ball when he is at the wide areas, he will try to cut inside with it.

I agree vasilli07, the width setting are listed under the "with the ball" heading and I don't really see any difference with defensive positioning.

Your teams width setting is the starting point:

- if your team is playing very narrow and tell your IF to play narrow then there won't be much "inside" left to cut into but he will provide closer support for central players

- if your team is playing very wide there should still be space inside even if you tell the wide player to play narrower.

It really depends what you want to be closer and provide support or width to stretch and isolate defenders.

I agree vasilli07, the width setting are listed under the "with the ball" heading and I don't really see any difference with defensive positioning.

Yes, both of you are correct, it is an offensive setting. That said, it will affect your defensive play in that players will have to track back into shape after a change of possession, potentially leaving some space. When they get back into shape, though, it will be as you line up with your base tactic.

Hmmm...having said that i sort of notice inside forwards on default settings tend to do much better than when given sit narrower PI in terms of assists and goals. Also also WM with cut inside PI versus an odd-footed WM without the cut inside PI behave differently. With cut inside, he will tend to cut in much earlier and further away from the opposition's area whereas without the PI, the odd-footed WM seems to be cutting in much higher up the pitch. I do not know if i am seeing things or imagining them up but just want to air my views on the matter.

Archived