Struggeling with tactics in FM16

Hi,

i've been playing FM since 09 but this year i'm really struggeling with tactics. Nothing seem to work. I've tried 3 saves with different tactis but i still can't score goals and the team is really struggling with lesser sides. So if you have any advice or tips how to change it to be effective and produce high tempo, attacking football.

I know Man U squad is not the best, but i still believe that i should be able to do better than they do IRL.

This is my tactic:

Tactic

Team instructions

I have added play narrower and tacke harder beacause if i didn't they created like 15 shots per match when i had 1 with 40% possesion :/

I have this PI:

DCs - Close down less

DM Tackle harder

AMR Close down more, Roam from position

AML Close down more, Sit narrower, Hold up ball

These are my last results:

Fixtures

What do you see happening?

I recommend putting the game on "Full Match" highlights when developing a tactic to get a feel of what your team is doing. Highlights only show when you do good or bad things, you want to create more "good things" which highlights don't typically show. Once your happier with it you can reduce the highlights.

If you've tried different tactics, maybe the issue is the players you use in them unable to play at that tempo (technical + mental abilities) or lack the physical attributes to keep up with play or exploit space created quickly?

They act like they are some semipro team. They pass the ball horribly. And i've tried same match with at least 2 different formation each with couple of different tactics and are always overpowered by mediocre teams. They either pass it straight to the oppo, put a long ball in and it's intercepted or they just pass it out of play. It's pathetic. They play like MU IRL. Any tips on how to get the tactics going?

I know that you have to really spend the time to develop the tactic and put a lot of hours and testing to it, but this aspact of the game is not for me particularly. So in every FM so far i just created a tactic that worked and stick to it with every team i went and was ussualy successful. But in FM16 nothing seems to work. And i also know that team need some time to adapt to tactics but being overrun in midfield (possesion, shots, pass completion) by german 2nd tier team? really?

Well,

There are some strange choices in your TI's, for example:

- You set for "look to overlap", but your FB/WB are set to support.

- You set a narrow formation, and ask to exploit the middle, something that i imagine will get a very congested area in front of the box.

- You set a very high tempo, but then ask to work the ball into the box, something that i believe will work better with slower tempo.

In your formation, you have 2 inside forwards, i believe with the intention to cut inside to arrive in the box, but then you have a CF with attack duty. I think that someone with a support duty could work better, to clear some space for the IF's movement.

Saying they pass badly is an issue but whats the cause?

Is the tactic fluid yet? What is you players level of understanding? Are your players not motivated or tired? Is it your instructions, the players ability to do what they're trying or just poor form?

I would suspect the less time to make a decision (due to high tempo) the more instinctive the decision has to be. If your player hasn't gained a good understanding with his team mates he will be guessing a bit what they are going to do. Not only do the decisions have to be instinctive your telling them to do more risky passes into space.

Just curious - what do your other coaches say/suggest about tactics in your coaching meetings? What does your assistant suggest during matches?

More than in any other version of FM that I've played, I'm finding it's important to craft your tactics to your players - not just positions and roles, but what specific instructions you give them and if they have the attributes to capitalize on those instructions.

I'm finding that the learning curve on FM16 goes something like this:

Initially - "How cool is that?"

After 10-20 league matches - "Are they #!<*ing kidding me??"

After further play and reading the boards - "Oh, THAT'S how it works!"

And then - "By George, I've got it!"

Hi,

i've been playing FM since 09 but this year i'm really struggeling with tactics. Nothing seem to work. I've tried 3 saves with different tactis but i still can't score goals and the team is really struggling with lesser sides. So if you have any advice or tips how to change it to be effective and produce high tempo, attacking football.

I know Man U squad is not the best, but i still believe that i should be able to do better than they do IRL.

This is my tactic:

Tactic

Team instructions

I have added play narrower and tacke harder beacause if i didn't they created like 15 shots per match when i had 1 with 40% possesion :/

I have this PI:

DCs - Close down less

DM Tackle harder

AMR Close down more, Roam from position

AML Close down more, Sit narrower, Hold up ball

These are my last results:

Fixtures

i have a idea about making tactic with player you have,just an idea.

1st don't think about what kind of football we what to play.Don't think about direct or short passing tactic.

1)1st check how many SC we have,MU only got 2 main sc.So 1 sc formation is the only choice.

check how make defender we have,how many DEF we want to play ?

check what kind midfield player we have,& what formation we play.

& who is your 1st 11 ? who is the best 11 your have ?

& we got a formation,4123 or 4231.

2) search for "full par position" for each of them.

this pic just for example for Martial role,full par IF-attack.

& look at Rooney he didn't have full par in CF-attack full par role.So we should look another duty for him.

k8nMlSJ.png?1

IF-attack is full par for martial,this mean this is the best job for him.Give "full par job" to all of your player.

rooney didn't have CF-attack full par,so this is a wrong choise,Mata may got AP-support full par.Check them each,& give them the "full par job".

look at the pic,Herrera only got 9 par as AP-attack,check any full par job for him,maybe AP-support ? check if he got AP-support full par.

even if we got full par LFB-defend for Darmian,just give him the full par LFB-defend job.

3)after we got all full par job for all player,then we can study about how we play with this setup ? How should i play with this kind of setup ?

how should we passing ? attack or control ?defensive line & other.

4)play some match in Comprehensive Highlights & setup player's PI if needed.

5)change 1~2 players full par job to other if face any problem with all full par,may be we can try 9 par or par job.But give you player as many par we can.

i try this in my save year 2025,& so far so good.

& this is just an idea,& you can try.

Archived