Gaining the advantage over the opposition?

How do people go about using the info & stats available in game to gain an advantage over the opposition, particularly in their upcoming games?

I know there is a lot of info available in game to help you try and get the win, but im always over whelmed what is useful and what is not so useful. For example there is where the opposition concedes most goals from, what time they concede the most of their goals, what formations they struggle against. What im really asking is what stats or info do people look at the most to gain an advantage?

How do people go about using the info & stats available in game to gain an advantage over the opposition, particularly in their upcoming games?

I know there is a lot of info available in game to help you try and get the win, but im always over whelmed what is useful and what is not so useful. For example there is where the opposition concedes most goals from, what time they concede the most of their goals, what formations they struggle against. What im really asking is what stats or info do people look at the most to gain an advantage?

I've asked this before and didn't get the replies that I wanted unfortunately. I think the large proportion of people make minimal, if any changes before the match; and instead prefer to adjust to what they see happening on the pitch.

I personally like the idea of making adjustments prior to the game, however I keep it very simple as I'm worried that any changes I make can be detrimental to my set-up.

Here are a few examples of changes that I may make:

- If the opposition's striker/s are particularly slow then I will push my defensive line up slightly. Vice-Versa is their striker/s are quick.

- I look to close down/tight-mark their player who has the most assists. This tends to be a midfielder and is most likely a playmaker for them.

- If any of their players have poor Bravery, Composure and Strength then I'll close down and give them Hard-Tackling. This puts them under pressure and can often lead to them making a mistake.

- If the team play a narrow formation then I may give my central players for conservative duties in order to cater for opposition strength. I may also look to play the majority of my football in the wider areas where they lack numbers. This could lead me to give more attacking duties to my Fullbacks.

I never make any changes to my system before any match. The only planning I'll do is to make sure my best players are properly fit and rested ahead of any big matches I have coming up - there's no point putting out my best team against Burnley if three days later I am playing Bayern Munich away.

All I do during matches is watch the first 10-15 mins and make a tweak or two if I need to based on what is actually happening. I might start watching the action again if something odd seems to be happening, and/or a few minutes at the start of the second half, but that's all.

I've tried looking at opposition stats and wotnot before matches and making adjustments accordingly, but half the time the opposition turns up with something completely different anyway, so my analysis was pointless. And just because Liverpool stuck 6 past their opponent the previous game in a vicious attacking display doesn't mean they'll try to do the same against me. The AI changes things based on who it is playing, and you'll never 100% know how they are going to play against you until the match starts. Anything else is just guess work, and in my experience 9 times out of 10 I'd get it wrong, so I stopped and started watching matches instead.

It also speeds each season up - no analysing the opposition allows you to get on with the matches faster.

Things I look out for:

1. Hard tackling on central defenders or midfielders who have low Aggression or Bravery (High Aggression + Low Bravery can be coded "Reckless"), or have poor personalities/bad disciplinary records

2. Highly one footed winger - show them inside / weak foot (wingers usually have the same foot as their side of the pitch). Two highly one footed wingers are usually easy mode.

3. One footed inside forward - show them outside / weak foot (inside forward usually have the opposite foot to their side of the pitch)

4. Closely mark lone strikers if I think my DCs are at least as good (watch out for high "off the ball" + "anticipation" coupled with pace) - do this rarely - only when I think I am pushing home an advantage

5. If the opposition have one great player (e.g. Pogba at Juve) - throw the kitchen sink at him - closing down, tight marking, hard tackling - no instructions for rest of team

6. Play more defensively solid / physical players away from home and against better opposition in key roles - eg MC/DMC/DC

7. Crank up the tackling against lower league cup opponents to stop them gaining an advantage from this tactic (this one is probably in my head)

8. I avoid hard tackling tricky wide players - then tend to draw fouls and cards too often

Basically common sense with a hint of superstition.

Archived