My second season in FM, and now I'm a grouch

Just an observation but would also like some feedback from managers who may have been in this situation.

After lucking my way into my first title in my debut season last year in the A-League (I was 9th - second last - on the last day of the season. I won my final game and everyone ahead of me lost theirs, so I scraped into the play-offs and then just scraped through each match of the play-offs to win the title!)... I now want a much better showing from my lads for my second season.

Last year my board set me a target to "be competitive" now they want me to finish top 6. So far a few games into the season I am 6th but the performances - especially from some of my senior players have been sub-standard. The squad morale is "okay." I signed Alex Wilkinson to add some experience to my back line. I also appointed him as my new captain. One game he made several mistakes and had a match rating of 6.3. So pulled him aside and asked him to improve. His response was "have you been to the opticians lately?" I decided to drop him for the next few games and make him prove himself with the youths.

A couple of matches later, my star winger Fabio Ferreira also had a shocking game. I told him he played poorly and again he asked "have you been to the opticians?" So I fined him a week's wages and also dropped him to the youths.

It seems a lot of my senior players are not responding well to my one-on-one chats. My left-winger got injured badly - I told him he would be missed. He told me not to condescend him.

So should how can I get my players out of this rebellious phase and be more disciplined? Can I continue to rule them with an iron fist and hope they'll come around?

I've also stormed out of a couple of press conferences lately. Every time I face the Newcastle Jets, I keep getting reminded about a "war of words" between us last time. I think I may have said something in the first match of the first season. That was like 10 encounters ago. I've since spent every press conference praising the Newcastle Jets manager and it looks like a love-fest, but the press seem to forget that the next time I face the Jets. I'm sick of it. Has anyone had this issue with the media?

So now I just storm out of Newcastle Jets pre-match press conferences.

Just an observation but would also like some feedback from managers who may have been in this situation.

After lucking my way into my first title in my debut season last year in the A-League (I was 9th - second last - on the last day of the season. I won my final game and everyone ahead of me lost theirs, so I scraped into the play-offs and then just scraped through each match of the play-offs to win the title!)... I now want a much better showing from my lads for my second season.

Last year my board set me a target to "be competitive" now they want me to finish top 6. So far a few games into the season I am 6th but the performances - especially from some of my senior players have been sub-standard. The squad morale is "okay." I signed Alex Wilkinson to add some experience to my back line. I also appointed him as my new captain. One game he made several mistakes and had a match rating of 6.3. So pulled him aside and asked him to improve. His response was "have you been to the opticians lately?" I decided to drop him for the next few games and make him prove himself with the youths.

A couple of matches later, my star winger Fabio Ferreira also had a shocking game. I told him he played poorly and again he asked "have you been to the opticians?" So I fined him a week's wages and also dropped him to the youths.

It seems a lot of my senior players are not responding well to my one-on-one chats. My left-winger got injured badly - I told him he would be missed. He told me not to condescend him.

So should how can I get my players out of this rebellious phase and be more disciplined? Can I continue to rule them with an iron fist and hope they'll come around?

I've also stormed out of a couple of press conferences lately. Every time I face the Newcastle Jets, I keep getting reminded about a "war of words" between us last time. I think I may have said something in the first match of the first season. That was like 10 encounters ago. I've since spent every press conference praising the Newcastle Jets manager and it looks like a love-fest, but the press seem to forget that the next time I face the Jets. I'm sick of it. Has anyone had this issue with the media?

So now I just storm out of Newcastle Jets pre-match press conferences.

Personally I never ever have one-on-ones with the players anymore. Unless I've been in the club for 5 years and won everything with them I always get that they think I'm being condescending when giving praise. Nothing good have ever come from me talking to one of my players. I'm sure thats not the case for everyone and some have probably mastered the art of keeping these players in mental shape. I have simply given up on talking to them.

You seem to be a bit fiery! I tend not to bother with talking to individual players if they've had one bad game. If it becomes a theme then yes I talk to them but generally one poor game doesn't bother me. I get that you want to keep on top of them and not let them get complacent but footballers are a pretty soft bunch who often prefer praise. There is a very small minority who respond well to criticism about one game. Also, they will lose respect for you if you storm out of press conferences on a regular basis. Think about it... How would you feel if your boss had a tantrum and walked off when he was being asked something?

Sometimes its good to speak to players, ive got a centre mid, play him in a 442 as an advanced playmaker (support), rating about 6.9-7.2, he always gets about 70-80 passes in a game, but never gets assists or key passes or goals, so recently (about 5-6 games ago) i told him our strikers are feeding of scraps + now, well, boy oh boy he took the challenge on and in most games gets 2-4 key passes, will either get an assist or a goal. rating can be up around 8.9, it wont last but private chats can work.

Player reactions will depend on varying factors, such as their personality and your own in-game personality, attributes and reputation.

For example, if you are a low rep manager and your Discipline attribute is also low, trying to aggressively discipline a player with a poor personality probably won't end well.

I think you probably just need to take a less hard-line approach. I guess each group of players in a team are different, but when I'm managing I take the exact opposite approach. I don't really criticise or discipline my players and everything seems to be running quite smoothly. I make sure I answer all questions in the press conferences though and do the team talks. But that's more or less all of the interaction i'll have with them.

If a player does complain though. I do look to sell at the earliest opportunity. The way I look at it, no player is irreplaceable!

Thanks to everyone who's replied. I have decided to curb back on the one on one's.

I did try a team meeting to suggest to my team that they are going ok but could improve. And it was 90% negative reaction. But since around that time I have not lost a game and I'm sitting comfortably in 3rd and now only 4 points away from the top!

Even getting clean sheets which has been unprecedented in my career. And now have a healthy goal difference. Once we strung together a few wins it got a lot easier to coach. I still warn them about not being complacent.

I've signed signed very decent players to the point where I don't actually have back-up players. Everyone is good enough to be in my starting 11! I think the increased competition for spots and the run of results (about to beat a team record) seems to have got the best out of my players.

The only problem now is that I'm getting a lot of people complaining about training....

Remember that many of the interaction features in FM actively punish you for trying to use them, and should just be avoided. That makes it all so much easier.

Why would the game do this? There are factors to consider here and it has already been mentioned more than once in this thread.

Archived