Hamsik movement

Hello to all,

I'm very fascinating about Sarri's Napoli this year, that in my opinion is the best football in Serie A.

One of the key element of this improvement since last year is the Hamsik role that is changed. From a pure attacking midfielder now is a lot more involved in the play: he is the second passer in the team behind Jorginho, the second assist-man behind Insigne and the third scorer.

Obviously I'd like to recreate this kind of all-around player in FM but I'm struggling with his movement. The aim is to create a player which is something of DLP (he comes very deep to collect the ball), something of a AP/A (he runs with the ball to pass it to Insigne or Higuain), and something of a CC/A (he also score a lot).

A tipical action is in

video, minute 2:35

Or also in

video

In

case minute 1:35 is an action of pure playmaker

In your opinion which is his role (Insigne is an IF/A on his side)?

Just going off what you've said a Roaming Playmaker with appropriate team mentality should see him going box to box, dribbling but also getting into the box to score.

But what if you set up a 4-2-3-1 formation ? I've just started a save with Napoli, and i'm playing this formation (i can't post a picture because now i'm at work):

Reina

Zuniga-Albiol-Koulibaly-Ghoulam

Allan-Jorginho

Callejon-Hamsik-Insigne

Higuain

I'm using Jorginho as a box-to-box midfielder and Allan as a CM (defend), Callejon is an Inside Forward (attack), while Insigne a Winger (support) and Higuain an Advanced Forward. I'm trying to find the best role for Hamsik, i'm thinking playing him as an Enganche/Trequartista ? Or an Advanced Playmaker ? I really don't know what role suits him best, i don't think Trequartista is very good for him because irl he does defensive work and tracks back ...

Do you need a BBM in a 4-2-3-1? If Hamsik regularly defends and tracks back, the easiest implementation within FM is to have a mobile Role from CM, than one from AMC. That way you "force" his positioning to drop deeper when defending, but you don't lose movement or impact when defending. As ever, it's a question of what do you want the player to actually do, before you arrive at a formation. Formation should be a consequence of what you are trying to do at an individual and collective level, rather than a template which you limit yourself to. If you didn't stick to a 4-2-3-1, you'd immediately open up different, tailorable Roles with which to try and enact Hamsik's traits.

EDIT - In short - consider using a 4-3-3 - a 4-2-3-1 with the AMC at MC rather than AMC.

I think it's kinda hard to implement it properly in FM.

Formation is more like 4-3-3 with Jorginho as DM.

He's pretty much Napoli's regista. But the in game regista role is different, so I think he'd be more suited to DLP, because he's capable in defensive duties.

Allan is way more agressive than him and pressures more, but he's not a classic BWM because he's often goes forward and is pretty good at passing.

Hamsik is a mixture between RPM and BBM. He can contribute in defense and RPM doesn't do that as much in the game.

I think you'd be best off if you set them both to CM and give them individual instructions.

Insigne is definitely IF. Support or Attack, depends on the game.

Callejon's closest role would be RMD, but in the game I feel he'd take off too much space from Higuain with it.

Higuain is playing more like CF if you ask me, he often gets the ball deep when Napoli isn't piling on the pressure.

All in all, I'd say it'll be difficult to replicate the system properly in the game, especially since Jorginho's and Allan's attributes aren't perfectly accurate.

My setup is 4-3-3 (4-1-2-2-1) because suits better the other player I have. I forgot to mention that I want to recreate Sarri's tactic without using Napoli so I haven't Hamsik in my squad.

I tried RPM because also in my idea that could be a good role but i found two discrepancies:

- With my "Hamsik" as RPM he became the first passer (as number of pass) in my team. In Napoli the first passer is Jorginho, who act as DLP in DMC strata.

- Good movement with the ball but poor results in runs without the ball (my "Hamsik" has Off the ball 18, anticipation 15 and decision 16 so I suppose is not an attribute issue).

Perhaps AP/A?

Formation is more like 4-3-3 with Jorginho as DM.

He's pretty much Napoli's regista. But the in game regista role is different, so I think he'd be more suited to DLP, because he's capable in defensive duties.

I agree with you. DLP in DM position. I am still in doubt if DLP/D or DLP/S because in real life he plays a lot of short horizontal passes and very few long passes or aggressive assist.

Allan is way more agressive than him and pressures more, but he's not a classic BWM because he's often goes forward and is pretty good at passing.

Allan is the best tackler of Napoli. He always has the highest number of tackles but he also form a double pivot system with Jorginho. I don't like the B2B due to his roaming from position. Probably I will set him as CM with appropriate PI.

Hamsik is a mixture between RPM and BBM. He can contribute in defense and RPM doesn't do that as much in the game.

I think you'd be best off if you set them both to CM and give them individual instructions.

I will try this and AP/A.

Insigne is definitely IF. Support or Attack, depends on the game.

Callejon's closest role would be RMD, but in the game I feel he'd take off too much space from Higuain with it.

Higuain is playing more like CF if you ask me, he often gets the ball deep when Napoli isn't piling on the pressure.

All in all, I'd say it'll be difficult to replicate the system properly in the game, especially since Jorginho's and Allan's attributes aren't perfectly accurate.

About Insigne I agree with you.

Callejon I'm not sure he could be a RMD because he plays a very important role in defense system of Napoli. Left side of the team is more attack minded than right side which is more careful to defense duty. I suppose a RMD would be too much offensive.

Higuain yes, CF/A. I will try also AF/A because my forward has comes deep to get the ball as PPM.

What is struggling me is Hamsik.

I can tell u i watched that game against sampdoria and was suprised to see that hamsik had his starting pos so deep in the field but as u say he were all over the place in attack he had a realy good game. if i were to replicate it exactly as i saw it it would look like this.

AC

WL WR

CM - CM - CM

DL - DC - DC - DR

Hamsik at the left cm as APM support ive been using this role in my 4-4-2 set up and it works realy good both offensive and defensive if u have atleast one holding cm next to him. this guy will dribbel shoot pass and defenetly have a big inpact in the game

jorginho in the middle as DLP defend or maybe central mf defend with own instructions dont underestimate this role.

Allan as BBM but pi to be more defensive alternative BWM whit more attacking mind.

Hope this was usefull

But what if you set up a 4-2-3-1 formation ? I've just started a save with Napoli, and i'm playing this formation (i can't post a picture because now i'm at work):

Reina

Zuniga-Albiol-Koulibaly-Ghoulam

Allan-Jorginho

Callejon-Hamsik-Insigne

Higuain

I'm using Jorginho as a box-to-box midfielder and Allan as a CM (defend), Callejon is an Inside Forward (attack), while Insigne a Winger (support) and Higuain an Advanced Forward. I'm trying to find the best role for Hamsik, i'm thinking playing him as an Enganche/Trequartista ? Or an Advanced Playmaker ? I really don't know what role suits him best, i don't think Trequartista is very good for him because irl he does defensive work and tracks back ...

I think Hamsik plays as CM this season, not CAM.

watched most of the matches of Napoli, in my opinion their mildfield setup is: (if we adapt FM)

----------------------------------------------Jorginho - DLP/D---------------------------------------------- (always sit back, comes and get the ball, distribute in front of defence)

Allan CM/D ord BWM/S (pressing opposition mildfielders and he is also a pass option for teammates) - Hamsik CM/A - RPM - BBM (I'm not sure about his role he positions on cm strata but often go advanced, play one twos etc.)

Callejon Raumdeuter ........... Insigne IF/S or IF/A (always cuts inside, often looks for shooting shooting, through balls and plays one-twos with Higuain)

---------------------------Higuain (not sure about his role. He's not positions with opponent defensive line. He comes deep to get the ball frequently. Maybe CF/A)

I think Hamsik plays as CM this season, not CAM.

watched most of the matches of Napoli, in my opinion their mildfield setup is: (if we adapt FM)

----------------------------------------------Jorginho - DLP/D---------------------------------------------- (always sit back, comes and get the ball, distribute in front of defence)

Allan CM/D ord BWM/S (pressing opposition mildfielders and he is also a pass option for teammates) - Hamsik CM/A - RPM - BBM (I'm not sure about his role he positions on cm strata but often go advanced, play one twos etc.)

Callejon Raumdeuter ........... Insigne IF/S or IF/A (always cuts inside, often looks for shooting shooting, through balls and plays one-twos with Higuain)

---------------------------Higuain (not sure about his role. He's not positions with opponent defensive line. He comes deep to get the ball frequently. Maybe CF/A)

I'm not sure about RMD role for Callejon.

This year he plays very different than last year with Benitez. If you see on squawka.com the heat maps he is very ofter in a wide midfielder place. RMD is too offensive for the Callejon of this year.

Archived