Partner for Target Man

Planning on a mixed passing / exploit the flanks 4-4-2 formation (League 2) with 2 wingers and 1 supporting midfielder. I have not been able to get a Target Man position to work at all on FM16 so was wondering if anyone plays with one and how their teams are set up

I also can't decide whether the TM should be on support or attack as both seem to make sense depending on the way you think about it. Attack as I want him leading the line for crosses into the box but support so he can bring the other striker and supporting midfielder into play

Thoughts?

One thing I've noticed is that if you play with a target man, any other ideas you might have for the passing game go out the window as everything is played into him. I've often used a TM in past versions of FM, but I've backed off it in this one. Then again, in my current side I don't have great crossing ability.

One thing I've noticed is that if you play with a target man, any other ideas you might have for the passing game go out the window as everything is played into him. I've often used a TM in past versions of FM, but I've backed off it in this one. Then again, in my current side I don't have great crossing ability.

I've found you can mitigate this a bit by having playmaking roles in the team as players will look to give them the ball as well as looking directly to the TM.

I've found you can mitigate this a bit by having playmaking roles in the team as players will look to give them the ball as well as looking directly to the TM.

Yes you can, and if you use an AM, an AP in the AM slot will help a lot. Many of the balls that would come out of the midfield to the targetman will be directed to your AP who is in the same general area.

It's not that bad anyway. Players will hoof it to the target man when they run out of options.

This too- if you are seeing your defenders or DMs launching long balls to the target man and you aren't set up to play a long ball or very direct game, then I would look at the midfield and wide players to see why there aren't better pass choices available.

Archived