Should I be happy?

Hi Guys,

This is an odd thread, but I kind of want peoples verdicts, now first up I'll give some quick background.

I'm playing as Ipswich, 29 games into the season and I'm 5th (Media predicted 9th so 4 up on there which I guess is good).

The league table is like so

eDhp5dE.jpg

With our schedule so far like so

iHY8lca.jpg

As you can see from the schedule, we can have some games which we've looked very good, like the two V Birmingham, the Brighton and Cardiff and Huddersfield at home games. I've noticed we were getting a poor record away from home however (I fully felt this to be down to my tactics, I was just using my 442 formation in a hope it would work, however it has made some changes throughout before I fully settled on the below)

v9Xly9k.jpg

I can't quite explain my vision on this, it was much more of a, this is the squad I have, what can I make out of it. Sears fitted a poacher role well, while I had McGoldrick and Murphy who looked like a good partner to this, I opted for McGoldrick as a F9 as something to link the midfield and attack but still pose a goal threat and it suits him as a role well. I didn't want to have both my wingers on attack so opted for Fraser to be the attacking of the two wingers, I see him mostly getting up the byline and crossing, with Sears already there and also McGoldrick arriving later and the LM possibly being on the edge of the area. I chose a BWM in the formation as I wanted someone to battle to win the ball back but I opted for defend as I didn't want him pushing too far out of position, as a result of choosing BWM, I decided to use a DLP/S next to him as he won't push too far forward, meaning it shouldn't leave a glaring hole in my midfield. The LM I see providing crosses from deeper and he should have the Poacher, F9 and RM to aim for in front of him. The defence is pretty self explanatory, the LD choice is because my second defender isn't as good as the other on the ball and I don't want him making a critical mistake (also to note, if Berra is playing the LD becomes cover mainly because he has the PPM Marks tightly and that sometimes leads him to pushing up out of the line so I have this player ready to sweep up if he makes an error).

Higher tempo was because I want to move the ball quickly, while work ball into box was added as I found we were rushing crosses or having very weird long shots so it was to make these crosses wait for a better opening and to nullify some of the long shots. Control was used because it fitted my attacking vision yet I didn't want to go all the way to attacking.

It's worked pretty well but as you can probably tell can leak the goals when things go against us. Mostly however I've seen that has come away from home. Now it could be teams are countering me well or they are attacking me and I just have too many forward to cope with it.

As a result of this I have started using this tactic which will probably be used away from home for the rest of the season and to see out games if it is a closely fought game.

lLeDxan.jpg

The vision is very much the same however it has a striker removed for a DM who is there to protect (ignore the CB on cover this just hadn't been changed from using Berra in a match), I've also changed the F9 to a DLF (as I used Murphy as the striker and this role suits him better, although I may use a target man for him and F9 with McGoldrick, I'm undecided), the vision is much the same, however the DLP will now play as an AP, this is to push him a little closer to the striker and because I have more security with a DM, while the BWM has moved up a duty to press a little higher, knowing he has a player behind him, also the LB has moved to an attack duty to provide some more attacking intent from the left. This is the tactic I used against Man Utd in the FA Cup which saw me lose 1-0, which to me, was quite impressive as they fielded a team which included Rooney, Depay, Shaw, Schweinsteger, Herrera, Rojo and Mata. Their goal also came from a counter from my own corner (something which reminded me of RTH's Villa thread with his more defensive security for set plays which I may apply a little by having an extra player back (I currently have two who stay back).

All I really want to ask though, is had you started as Ipswich and were in this position this far into the season, would you feel this is a good season based on the fact I'm 4 places up on the prediction, with only making one loan signing of Browning to add to the loans of Fraser and Maitland-Niles.

I feel I'm quite hard on myself and I feel had I been more consistent throughout and spotted the away from home being my main undoing, I could very well be sitting in the top 3. However should I see myself as performing above my expectations (I hoped to be pushing for a play off spot more than being in them when I started the game) and if I have got my tactics right for my away games where teams are probably playing in a different manner against me then I could even have a late push for the top 3.

Whenever I'm above my predicted finish, I'm happy with the season. In your 4-4-2, I'd take a look at that BWM to see if he isn't leaving too much space behind him in these problem matches. It could specifically be in transition, just after you lose the ball, that you may find he's pushing forward to engage ball-carriers which will let runners past him. In these situations, it may be better to have a more defensively reserved role.

Whenever I'm above my predicted finish, I'm happy with the season. In your 4-4-2, I'd take a look at that BWM to see if he isn't leaving too much space behind him in these problem matches. It could specifically be in transition, just after you lose the ball, that you may find he's pushing forward to engage ball-carriers which will let runners past him. In these situations, it may be better to have a more defensively reserved role.

Hi HUNT3R, thanks for the quick reply.

I'll be honest I did have a thought about this but I don't think it is that player that is the issue as the DLP/S doesn't push too far forward either so we are normally okay. I think it is just the tactic has struggled when the opposition seem to be attacking more and normally overrunning me in midfield, also it's when they can keep the ball and be effective with it I do sometimes change it to a CM/D if they play 5 in midfield, but away games have been very suspect all season even when I used CM/D instead of BWM, hence why I've opted to make my more defensively protected 4141. I'm happier now with the extra tactic as I just feel a little safer (it's always been there, just never used until recently!)

I guess my real thought though, is I should be pleased with how my season is going thus far and not feel I'm doing badly by not being in the automatic promotion places, the fact I am close is a good sign!

No one can tell you what to be happy with, everyone's ability at the game is different. When I got Spurs into 4th I was very pleased, yet some of the guys on this website wouldn't be happy with anything less than winning the league with a team like Spurs. Personally I usually go by 'if the board is happy, I'm happy'. I usually pick the lowest option when the board ask you for expectations at the start of each season, because that puts me under less pressure, so if I can comfortably beat that expectation in the season, it makes the board happy and subsequently I am happy as that makes my life easier.

I'm playing 4-4-2 and HUNT3R makes a great point here. In the two CM spots I prefer to use roles that are less 'roaming'. In my own example, I formerly had a box-to-box in one spot, but I didn't like the roaming aspect of that so I changed him to a DLP, who sit in position more. Similarly, I have not attempted to use a ball-winner, as they tend to roam around chasing the ball, instead I use a central midfield (defend) - a much more disciplined role. I just prefer both of my CMs to hold position more, since there is no DM behind them.

No one can tell you what to be happy with, everyone's ability at the game is different. When I got Spurs into 4th I was very pleased, yet some of the guys on this website wouldn't be happy with anything less than winning the league with a team like Spurs. Personally I usually go by 'if the board is happy, I'm happy'. I usually pick the lowest option when the board ask you for expectations at the start of each season, because that puts me under less pressure, so if I can comfortably beat that expectation in the season, it makes the board happy and subsequently I am happy as that makes my life easier.

I'm playing 4-4-2 and HUNT3R makes a great point here. In the two CM spots I prefer to use roles that are less 'roaming'. In my own example, I formerly had a box-to-box in one spot, but I didn't like the roaming aspect of that so I changed him to a DLP, who sit in position more. Similarly, I have not attempted to use a ball-winner, as they tend to roam around chasing the ball, instead I use a central midfield (defend) - a much more disciplined role. I just prefer both of my CMs to hold position more, since there is no DM behind them.

I guess that first part is true, I'm trying to think how I thought before I started the game, I looked at the media prediction of 9th and thought I'd have an outside shot of the playoffs, I've been offered to change my expectations 3 times and each time I kept it at top half finish, so I'm performing above my board expectation and technically I suppose I'm performing above my own expectation at the start, however when you start on a flyer and keep looking like your 1st/2nd I think it raised my own expectations for a bit until I got brought back down to earth by some inconsistency, as stated above I do sometimes switch to a CM/D but I have had inconsistencies with that role paired with I think an AP/S originally, not often have I used it with a DLP so may be an option now and then, although I do find my BWM is surprisingly central and defensive (might be because of the defend duty on him or the DLP partner) but I will watch him closely on some games for definite as it has been mentioned twice and I do know deep down, it could leave me slightly exposed and it would probably work better with a DLP than it did with an AP in a defensive form. However I will probably use my 4-1-4-1 a fair bit too as it gives me too options and it is much more designed for soaking up pressure!

Thanks Orikoru!

I guess that first part is true, I'm trying to think how I thought before I started the game, I looked at the media prediction of 9th and thought I'd have an outside shot of the playoffs, I've been offered to change my expectations 3 times and each time I kept it at top half finish, so I'm performing above my board expectation and technically I suppose I'm performing above my own expectation at the start, however when you start on a flyer and keep looking like your 1st/2nd I think it raised my own expectations for a bit until I got brought back down to earth by some inconsistency, as stated above I do sometimes switch to a CM/D but I have had inconsistencies with that role paired with I think an AP/S originally, not often have I used it with a DLP so may be an option now and then, although I do find my BWM is surprisingly central and defensive (might be because of the defend duty on him or the DLP partner) but I will watch him closely on some games for definite as it has been mentioned twice and I do know deep down, it could leave me slightly exposed and it would probably work better with a DLP than it did with an AP in a defensive form. However I will probably use my 4-1-4-1 a fair bit too as it gives me too options and it is much more designed for soaking up pressure!

Thanks Orikoru!

Ha, yeah I do that as well (in bold). I'm playing as Parma in Serie B, before the season kicked off I was hoping for mid-table, then I got 10 points from my first four games, topped the table and started dreaming of promotion even though only four games had been played. Now I'm 4th or 5th I think, and trying not to be too dissatisfied! Have to keep telling myself anything top 6 or 7 would be an excellent season.

I find your 4-1-4-1 to be a little too defensive for my liking. This setup is by default relatively conservative (you are always going to get players behind the ball when you defend by the formation alone. I therefore have found it allows you to be a little more adventurous with your duties. In the 4-1-4-1 I currently employ, I have 2 support and 2 attack duties (one central, one wide for each.

The idea behind this is that I want to be able to defend, which is why I have chosen the shape, but I also want to be able to get out and get players in the bow quickly. If you have a striker who can win the ball and hold it up, you want runners for him to give it to. It may help you in tough games by getting goals on the counter.

I find your 4-1-4-1 to be a little too defensive for my liking. This setup is by default relatively conservative (you are always going to get players behind the ball when you defend by the formation alone. I therefore have found it allows you to be a little more adventurous with your duties. In the 4-1-4-1 I currently employ, I have 2 support and 2 attack duties (one central, one wide for each.

The idea behind this is that I want to be able to defend, which is why I have chosen the shape, but I also want to be able to get out and get players in the bow quickly. If you have a striker who can win the ball and hold it up, you want runners for him to give it to. It may help you in tough games by getting goals on the counter.

I'll definitely keep that in mind, I'll be honest the 4-1-4-1 is very much in the early stages of creation so is still far from finished with certain roles/duties at the moment, however I wanted the wingers to function like they do in the 4-4-2 hence the same roles out wide and the attacking full back is just to add some extra oomph as such to the left.

I'm not set on the roles of ST (this could vary depending on who I play too, as Murphy is a good DLF, yet McGoldrick definitely isn't, he is much better as F9 or AF). Then the CM roles behind him are the ones I'm not set on either. I have sort of opted for the roles that suit the players more than anything as it stands, but definitely feel it could be tweaked to be improved but I haven't seen it in action enough to be certain on. I have thought the BWM could change to B2B or CM/A (if one of my players could play that role) to provide more close support to the ST or another option could be to keep the BWM and change the AP to an attack duty or also to a CM/A (again relies a little on if the players I have could perform the role sufficiently, I know they can play AP/A more already as I know they fit that role and is probably the most likely change I would make at the moment). At the moment however I feel I need to watch it more, before I can decide exactly what I need or want to change.

As it stands though, the first thing I want from the 4-1-4-1 is to be hard to score against, so if it is a bit too defensive then that isn't really a bad thing to see at first, but if it looks like never scoring then that is when the tweaks I'm thinking of above will probably come into play.

Yeah, just keep an eye on it. I'm not saying it is definitely an issue, but it is worth watching. It may be certain formations/setups that cause you more problems and 'normally' you don't have too much of an issue. If you don't want to risk dropping points, re-watch the problem games and look if his positioning (defensive aggressiveness) is a cause of your troubles. I know you're quite aware when watching games, so it should be easy to spot if it is an issue. :)

Yeah, just keep an eye on it. I'm not saying it is definitely an issue, but it is worth watching. It may be certain formations/setups that cause you more problems and 'normally' you don't have too much of an issue. If you don't want to risk dropping points, re-watch the problem games and look if his positioning (defensive aggressiveness) is a cause of your troubles. I know you're quite aware when watching games, so it should be easy to spot if it is an issue. :)

Never really thought to watch the games I lost so might do that and see if I can see what happens, I do agree it could be certain formations, as I have a feeling a lot of the heavy losses were against 4-2-3-1 when the 2 were CM's and AMR/AML!

Well I've opted to use the CM/D over the BWM and I do feel it is working better. It also looks like my season is going straight to the wire. 2 points off of 2nd placed Hull with 4 games remaining. Still I'm finding some inconcistency with my side but I think it could be more my side isn't as good as their position suggests and I've been helped by Sears scoring over 30 goals this season and what I was amazed by was my Goalkeeper being number 1 in the clean sheets list with 15/16 I think. It just seems to be the games I concede. Overall though it's looking like a very good season and considering a lack of signings/funds to improve the squad, if I get into 2nd then it's been a dream of a season and if not I should hopefully at least get into the playoffs and who knows what that could bring!

Well overall with the season so far I'm happy, although it is beginning to look like I will be going into the play-offs rather than gaining automatic promotion. Which still isn't a bad achievement I suppose.

I just feel the next step that could really improve is a personal one of analysing the game.

I've read multiple threads about this and I still don't think I'm quite getting it well.

I'm okay at dealing with threats from one specific player by using PI's to mark him or show him onto a certain foot etc. I think it is much more the team as a whole.

Like I described in earlier posts my 442 uses Control, Flexible and the TI's Higher Tempo and Work Ball Into Box. Higher tempo is more of a preference that I want my team to play quicker to not let the opposition settle (while I believe control makes your team play a little lower too so it counters this a little) and I worry work ball into box could be a slight contradiction with this but I found the side were wasting balls by crossing too early or taking long pop shots which I didn't want to see so I felt the decision was justified.

The problem I guess I have is knowing when to use certain changes. I know some people never use them but I like to be proactive to what I see is happening on the pitch and I will probably learn more the more I do them, but sometimes I think I'm complicating them myself.

For example, how would I know when a change from Control is a good idea, I see it as, if I'm not doing well with the ball and I feel the side I'm against are coming forward in numbers, then this could be a good ideas there should in theory be space for us to attack if they are coming forward in numbers.

Shape I kind of understand from the vertical separation so maybe if my defence can't find my midfield or midfield can't find the strikers as they are too far apart, moving shape up to fluid/very fluid could work. (not sure when structured/highly structured could be a benefit, maybe if it feels like the match is too compact so the players need more space?)

Tempo change I guess is if the team is making a lot of mistakes by playing the ball too quickly, could mean lowering the tempo, while if they are holding on to the ball too much and given the opposition time to get back in shape then you may want to raise the tempo.

Width, I always left at balanced, I'm never sure when to change to wider or narrower, they always seem to be okay width wise based on formations I've used.

Def Line - this is one I struggle to know when is the better option to change it, if I have slow defenders then I guess I might want it deeper to protect myself, however going higher is one I've avoided most of the time as I'm not comfortable with pushing my defence higher sometimes...

Closing down, again another one I've avoided a lot because of fear more than anything, but I'd imagine, do I feel the opposition has too much time on the ball, then close down more. Do I feel my team are closing down and then getting passed by the player as a result, then close down less

Tackling is fairly self explanatory and I seem to feel if we are tackling well and winning the ball then I might choose get stuck in, if we are conceding too many free kicks or missing the ball then stay on feel.

Build up, again I guess is self explanatory but one I don't touch much, play out of defence is obvious, if my defenders keep going long and losing the ball, or if the team isn't pressing me then these could be an option to just make sure we keep the ball. Exploits I've never really used, unless I've spotted one of my players really finding luck in their area and are causing the opposition a nightmare, then I may add it to put the ball to them. Clear ball to flanks I guess is more for when holding on to a lead and you just want to clear your lines, or you have good wingers in space or are good in the air. Pump ball into box...I've always seen this as a desperate attempt to get the ball in the area and hope for a goal mouth scramble. Pass into space, again I suppose is good if your players have a lot of space around them when receiving the ball.

Passing directness I feel happy knowing what to do with this, while retain possession I've always seen good if you just want to keep hold of the ball more than anything (could be used in relation to giving up possession too much as well I suppose).

Creative freedom, I've never touched this, mainly because I don't know how it changes how your players play as I've never known what a player does which is more for creative freedom than their role.

Final third is pretty self explanatory, early crosses if you have players in the box waiting without the cross coming. Look for overlap again is obvious, more would use this if I had an attacking full back though. Shoot on sight again exactly what it says, work ball into box is what I've always seen as, players shooting too much or crossing when there is no one up there so you want them to take more time.

Dribbling again I see as a does on the tin, if I have a lot of good players dribbling past players I might opt for run at defence, if they keep running into dead ends or brick wall defenders, then maybe dribble less.

Stick to positions, I assume this is if I feel my players are drifting out of the places they should be (as long as their role doesn't encourage the movement away from it) and roam if I want them to find space from maybe being marked tightly and want to encourage movement to find an opening.

I guess what I'm asking is, am I looking at most of these in the right way? Or am I well off of the mark?

Just an approval or disapproval would be much appreciated, thanks, although if disapproved, could people point me into good things to read to help me with this?

Hi HUNT3R, thanks for the quick reply.

I'll be honest I did have a thought about this but I don't think it is that player that is the issue as the DLP/S doesn't push too far forward either so we are normally okay. I think it is just the tactic has struggled when the opposition seem to be attacking more and normally overrunning me in midfield, also it's when they can keep the ball and be effective with it I do sometimes change it to a CM/D if they play 5 in midfield, but away games have been very suspect all season even when I used CM/D instead of BWM, hence why I've opted to make my more defensively protected 4141. I'm happier now with the extra tactic as I just feel a little safer (it's always been there, just never used until recently!)

I guess my real thought though, is I should be pleased with how my season is going thus far and not feel I'm doing badly by not being in the automatic promotion places, the fact I am close is a good sign!

Can be frustrating when you are on the cusp of greatness lol, you seem to be doing pretty well, maybe this year is good for development and cohesion, next year could be the big one.

Can be frustrating when you are on the cusp of greatness lol, you seem to be doing pretty well, maybe this year is good for development and cohesion, next year could be the big one.

Yeah although I have made it to the play-offs, which is better than I thought at the start of the season, if I don't get promoted I see it as, I know where I need to improve as a squad. Up front I feel my squad wasn't great other than Sears who had a season better than I could have dreamed of, however McGoldrick and Murphy were both hot and cold throughout the year and if Sears wasn't having a great game then we could struggle...I have faith in the other two, but they just didn't perform as well as I thought, but I'm hoping next season they should be good enough, but a loan option could be a decent idea. I'm going to lose my RM, who I think was probably my second best player behind Sears as he is on loan, so I may try and loan him again or sign him if I have the funds, but then I could do with another RM as a backup. Then it will just be fixing defence which I feel was my weakness, I had Browning on loan from Everton playing RB and he did superbly, while both my LB's again had an inconsistent season overall, then I might just want an extra CB to provide a battle for my main 3, although I have a couple of very good youngsters coming through, next season I'm hoping to definitely be in the play off final.

Archived