Cant find the back of the net

Right. Im in my second season with United. Somehow I kept my job after a rubbish first season but we started the second season well but just scruffy 1-0 wins. My biggest problem last season and this season is strikers not taking chances. I have no problems creating them far from it but I have lost count the amount of one on ones or just really weak attempts very good strikers are getting. I have uploaded a pic of my tactic. This is my base tactic and I tweak here and there to suit but nothing I seem to do tweak gets Martial, Lukaku, Barbosa or Aboubakar able to score. Please help me!!

http://imgur.com/GWq7TAv

The 'lower tempo' and 'more direct passing' TIs jump out at me as conflicting. Usually 'lower tempo' encourages more patient build-up and therefore shorter passing while direct passing obviously does the opposite.

More info on the sort of chances your strikers are getting would be good, but just based on those 2 TIs I would suspect you may be seeing the ball delivered to a striker early and with little support. Of course you may hope your expensive strikers are taking care of business with some of those, but that depends on how deep the other team is defending and what not too.

What I would recommend, given your setup and generally how the 4-2-3-1 plays and what not is to remove 'more direct passing', but perhaps keep lower tempo. That should encourage a shorter passing game with more build-up (which compliments your control mentality) which will hopefully lead to your team giving your striker better service.

Alternatively, but related, you could turn off both of those TIs and instead look for something more like 'shorter passing' to help with the build-up.

Thanks for the advice. I had more direct passing on because I was under the impression that with the new tactic system it didn't mean 'more direct' in the literal sense but just being a bit less shorter passing than control setup would normally be if that makes sense. What I have done though just is take off the more direct to and put roam from positions and be more expressive (something I don't think I have ever had the guts to use as I have this horrible feeling of just complete out of control players) Have played two games and Martial has scored 4 in a way I actually like. In these two games he has took excellent chances as scored one on ones something I never see. Would this be down to the expressive instruction?

Thanks for the advice. I had more direct passing on because I was under the impression that with the new tactic system it didn't mean 'more direct' in the literal sense but just being a bit less shorter passing than control setup would normally be if that makes sense. What I have done though just is take off the more direct to and put roam from positions and be more expressive (something I don't think I have ever had the guts to use as I have this horrible feeling of just complete out of control players) Have played two games and Martial has scored 4 in a way I actually like. In these two games he has took excellent chances as scored one on ones something I never see. Would this be down to the expressive instruction?

Hard to say, it might just be that the quality of chances has improved in some way, and it's just not clearly represented in the match engine, or could be just a good run. I'd play a much longer run of games before reaching any conclusions. Your changes are logical though

• 5 months later...

Have been away from FM16 for a good while now. Got the bug back and forgot about this great save I had going. Basically were dominating the league and in the QF of the Champions League but I'm still not 100% happy. The tactic now works great apart from the following. We create tons and tons of chances not many clear cut ones but still enough good chances but as you can see from my player stats only 3 players are in double figures for goals but we do spread the goals out well, we are joint top scorers in the league but unlike City who have Aguero into the 20s for league goals and Liverpool who have Balotelli pushing the 20 goals we are nowhere near that. How can I get my strikers firing more, is it a training thing or a tactic thing? If I had a striker knocking in 20 in the league we would be an absolute dominant force and would just give me that bit more confidence

Screen Shot 2016-08-11 at 18.00.47.png

I'm still super new so not sure how much help I can be for refining the tactic, but one thing I notice is that you mention you have pretty good goal distribution.

It could be that those places have 20 goal scorers because one guy is getting the bulk of the opportunities?  Is this the case maybe?  What are your team goal scoring totals compared to the rest of the league?

If you're already leading the league in goals by some margin, it might just be that you have good goal distribution and getting 20+ out of a single player might not be too possible?

I'm about to go to bed, so this is a quick one. I am united aswell and am having one of my most fav save ever at the moment. What is jumping out at me from that tactic is you have both left sided players on support. Shaw is a beast at FB/A He will attack outside of Depay as he cuts inside, it widens the play and stretches the defence. I would also do whipped crosses and cross early. Those 3 things should make a big change straight away.

I'll add more once I have slept.

Archived