Help for Lower League

Hi to all,

I'm playing FM since many years ago but I always used big teams, from different countries, but always big teams.

Now I'd like to explore the lower league world, in particular League 1 or League 2 and I'd like to ask you some tips, a kind of guideline, in how to manage a LL teams. I suppose that all is very different from big teams.

What I mean is about principles of play: I always aimed to a fluid or very fluid football, due to high mental and technical stats of my players, so I thik this approach would fail in League 2.

Can you tell me some guideline in how to manage a lower league side?

Thank you

Well you have to look at your players and see what they can to.

I've never used Complete Forward in lower leagues, because usually my strikers don't have proper attributes for it. Sometimes it is tough to find wingers with good finishing for inside forwards, etc.

At first you can try to create formation that fits your team. Or if you have budgets, you can get players that you need for your tactic.

You should try to use fluid in LLM too. I've read here on forums that someone (can't remember the name) is using Very Fluid even in LLM and he doesn't have problems with it. I am currently also using fluid control 4-1-2-3 Wide formation in Slovak Second division (tier probably like League 2) and it is doing well.

Just keep it simple.

Ditto the keep it simple bit. Budgets will be low so you'll probably have to make do with the squad you start with at first. This means playing to their strengths. If you've got a lethal big man (someone like James Hanson of Bradford springs to mind) then don't be afraid to play direct, or at least get plenty of crosses in to him. If you've got shed loads of central midfielders then use them. It's a lot more physical in the lower leagues and teams play quickly from back to front because a good number of them don't have "technical" players to knock the ball about with. Also, if you do try that then you'll quickly see opposition teams targeting those players with heavy tackles. The pitches don't lend themselves to beautiful football either.

You basically need to know your squad so the preseason is crucial. You'd probably be surprised at the level of mental stats in the lower leagues; some players are excellent but are let down by the technical side. Players with pace are useful because defenders at that level tend to be slower.

Ditto the keep it simple bit. Budgets will be low so you'll probably have to make do with the squad you start with at first. This means playing to their strengths. If you've got a lethal big man (someone like James Hanson of Bradford springs to mind) then don't be afraid to play direct, or at least get plenty of crosses in to him. If you've got shed loads of central midfielders then use them. It's a lot more physical in the lower leagues and teams play quickly from back to front because a good number of them don't have "technical" players to knock the ball about with. Also, if you do try that then you'll quickly see opposition teams targeting those players with heavy tackles. The pitches don't lend themselves to beautiful football either.

You basically need to know your squad so the preseason is crucial. You'd probably be surprised at the level of mental stats in the lower leagues; some players are excellent but are let down by the technical side. Players with pace are useful because defenders at that level tend to be slower.

Ok so you suggest to focus more on physical than other. Players with high pace and acceration, strong midfielders and defenders....and so on...

Facilities aren't great so player development isn't as good so focus on established players rather than youth (there are exceptions of course) and I would recommend focusing on fitness throughout the season. If you're fitter than the rest you can win games in the last 10 minutes as they are tired.

Work rate and team work are good choices, you'll be up and down the pitch and your players will make mistakes so if you have players who will mitigate this then all the better.

Ok so you suggest to focus more on physical than other. Players with high pace and acceration, strong midfielders and defenders....and so on...

Yes definitely. Also, if you can find some centre backs with a bit of pace that's always useful. Like what was said above, teamwork and work rate are crucial at that level as well. A team of good hard workers will almost always beat a team of good technical a players at that level.

Also, don't worry about what potential your players have to start with. Focus on current ability to get you towards the higher leagues and then build your club up.

Has anyone tried to use the db extension to Level 10? Starting from the bottom?

I've done as low as level 8, and will be doing a massive lower league series once EEE to level 9 is released. It's a lot of fun down that low, but you have to be a patient soul. A couple years back it took me 15 seasons to reach League Two from the NOrthern D1, and another 8 to get to the Championship.

I've done as low as level 8, and will be doing a massive lower league series once EEE to level 9 is released. It's a lot of fun down that low, but you have to be a patient soul. A couple years back it took me 15 seasons to reach League Two from the NOrthern D1, and another 8 to get to the Championship.

Honestly this could be an issue as I don't have so much time to dedicate to FM.

Probably the best solution is to start from Vanarama Conference North or South using FMT.

Go to the challenges sub forum, within Dafuge's FM2016 Challenge Michael Murray has written a very concise guide for people who want to play LLM football. Over on addictedtofm.com my website I have a guide for LLM managers as well. And I have just started a Kingstonian save as well, this save should carry me into FM17, and will become another feature show on my youtube channel.

I've taken the Dafuge Challenge, which i do nearly every season. Essentially:

a. you start as a sunday league footballer in charge of a newly promoted club in conference N/S.

b. you are not allowed to use editors of any sort

c. you need to scout within your realm of knowledge.

There are full details of the challenge there...Basically this is how you play LLM, this is a down and dirty quick dummies guide:

1. Know what style you want to play and establish a club dna, if you don't understand what I mean by DNA go to my YT channel and watch this video

[video=youtube;SqLOsN66ItI]

2. For any kind of LLM challenge..sort out a view that tells you contract expiry/value, shortlist players. VITAL

3. Calculate your buffer, release players if you can who don't fit your DNA. Once you know your wage budget buffer ...since you have no scouts...invite players for trial

4. Trial and Trial and Trial, Have a plan for your system. Keep it simple. Use a 442, please use a 442 or a 4411. They are without a doubt the easiest to start with.

5. Go to board ask them to allow you to take coaching classes

6. Sort out your coaches, fitness is a priority followed by ball control

7. Get promoted.

Go to the challenges sub forum, within Dafuge's FM2016 Challenge Michael Murray has written a very concise guide for people who want to play LLM football. Over on addictedtofm.com my website I have a guide for LLM managers as well. And I have just started a Kingstonian save as well, this save should carry me into FM17, and will become another feature show on my youtube channel.

I've taken the Dafuge Challenge, which i do nearly every season. Essentially:

a. you start as a sunday league footballer in charge of a newly promoted club in conference N/S.

b. you are not allowed to use editors of any sort

c. you need to scout within your realm of knowledge.

There are full details of the challenge there...Basically this is how you play LLM, this is a down and dirty quick dummies guide:

1. Know what style you want to play and establish a club dna, if you don't understand what I mean by DNA go to my YT channel and watch this video

[video=youtube;SqLOsN66ItI]

2. For any kind of LLM challenge..sort out a view that tells you contract expiry/value, shortlist players. VITAL

3. Calculate your buffer, release players if you can who don't fit your DNA. Once you know your wage budget buffer ...since you have no scouts...invite players for trial

4. Trial and Trial and Trial, Have a plan for your system. Keep it simple. Use a 442, please use a 442 or a 4411. They are without a doubt the easiest to start with.

5. Go to board ask them to allow you to take coaching classes

6. Sort out your coaches, fitness is a priority followed by ball control

7. Get promoted.

Hi Rashidi sorry for hijacking this post. I have been checking out your Tactic Bootroom thread on how you help others to understand and better their tactic. The problem is I do not know how to upload my tactic so you can offer me help and advice. Do you have any suggestions.

Hi Rashidi sorry for hijacking this post. I have been checking out your Tactic Bootroom thread on how you help others to understand and better their tactic. The problem is I do not know how to upload my tactic so you can offer me help and advice. Do you have any suggestions.

Read the description in the video about heading over to my site

I've recently started a L10 game with South Shields. While I did have the benefit of Julio Arca in my first season (romped the Northern L2) he's retired :( . Nevertheless currently second in NL1 and feeling positive about another promotion.

My tips are as follows:

- Work-rate, work-rate, work-rate, I think counts for a heck of a lot at this level

- Any kind of pace you can get, combined with the above (bonus) can turn even a low-rated striker into a goal machine

- Do trust your judgement, I think the star-ratings don't work well at this level (understandable) - if you like the look of a player and he's what you need - go for him

- Go all out in the cup competitions - they can be a gold-mine for finance

- I personally like to go for structured / rigid philosophy at this level. I know others have differing views. My experience is simple roles, things that lower level players can do, everyone knows their job

- Be prepared to change / sign / lose, lots of players each season. Even at that level, you can find a player in L10 simply doesn't cut it at L9.

- Hence, one year contracts are good

Archived