Changing striker role. Will this work?

Hi all,

I am currently playing as Nottingham Forest and I am sat in 9th place. My team have plenty of possession but we don't score. I have been playing Britt Assombalonga as a F9 which isn't his best role and I'm not getting the best out of him.

My midfield is a DMF, BBM, RPM and 2 IF's. All of them have a support duty and so does Assombalonga in his F9 role. If I change Assombalonga's role to an advanced forward, do you think that this will drastically effect the way that my team play?

What duties to you have the inside forwards on?

I would say he may end up getting isolated OR both he and the inside forwards will be looking to occupy the same spaces on the pitch. Maybe consider using a winger or support duty for both (that's if they're not on that already).

The two roles are massively contrasting so I guess the answer in short to your question is... Yes. It will change the way you okay. Instead of dropping in to create space up top, he'll be looking to stretch the defence and run at them. I'm pretty sure in the description of the role it uses the word "spearhead" (or at least a variable of the word). He will look to be your main man up front so the inside forwards may potentially get in the way. You want him to have space to work in and dragging the oppositions full backs inside won't do that.

Advanced Forward only comes with an Attacking duty. Personally, I have had success with Advanced Forwards in 4-3-3 formations using an Inside Forward on the left with a Support duty and a Winger on the right with Attack duty (obviously if you have left footers instead of right footers then that can be swapped over). If it was me I'd be changing one of those inside forwards to a winger but if you don't want to then maybe keep them on Support or possibly one with an Attack duty to act as a second striker.

Archived