AP(A), AM(A) or EG(A) ?

I am playing a 4321 and have a player who can play as either an AP(A), AM(A) or EG(A). Im not a 100% sure what the difference is between the 3 roles. From what I can understand is the AP(A) picks up the ball and runs at the defence or plays through balls through AI back line. The AM(A) starts further up field and looks to get into the box and support the strikers and the EG(A), he sits behind the striker in the hole and looks to play through balls and simple passes. He doesn't really move from the central position.

Ideally im looking for the best role to suit my tactical set up or is it more of changing the role on game to game basis depending on the AI tactic?

Inu5d8z.png

I would just adjust it based on the player using key attributes as a guideline.

w2ueZAM.png

His most suited role is EG according to the role suitability. So i presume his key attributes are best suited to that role? If I play him as an EG(A) though wont him and my P(A) be quite static with their movement?

You don't really need an AM (A) as the IF (A) and poacher (A) will be getting into the positions the AM (A) would look to fill. You could go AP (A) but not really sure it would be the best fit as he's not a classy dribbler and has dwells on the ball ppm as well. Enganche would be natural because of his weak physicals, so he can just fit in the hole and use his comparatively good mentals and technicals to do some good work. His vision and passing perhaps isn't quite so well suited to AP (S) so enganche might be the best fit.

That being said it's always worth watching games and seeing what fits

The Enganche role fits best with all of the other roles in this tactic. You have two attacking players making runs into the box, you don't need a third trying to dribble behind them. Your player happens to fit the role well, which is rare on lower league teams. His Teamwork attribute is pretty good for this level, but the Shoots From Distance PPM is not ideal for an Enganche, who should really look to pass instead of shoot.

You might think about changing the DLP-S to CM-S, to make sure the Enganche gets the ball as much as possible.

Personally would use a AM support. There's already a deep-lying playmaker, and I tend to use one playmaker only. And AM is a nice well-rounded role, whereas Engache is a more niche role that not so many players excel at. That's just me though, I often go for simpler roles over specific ones. But I'd make him support because you already have the inside forward on attack to get in the box with your poacher.

If it was me, I'd bring all 4 of your midfield back one space - leaving you with two DM's in front of your back 4 - two Wide Midfielders or Wingers - I'd make the AM-an AP-S and your one striker into a F9-Support. Probably go with a DM-SUP & DM-DEF - a WM - A on one side and a Winger-Support on the other - I wouldn't be dropping deeper if I'm closing down more - you'll team will likely lose it's shape completely. If I'm looking to control, I'm gonna go slightly higher - close down more - meaning it's cool that your preventing GK dristribution - and your team will move more as one unit rather than ending up stretched like the boy from Supermarket Sweeps face. Dale Winton - that's him - nobody want's to be stretched back to front like that - total chaos.

I'd go Fluid rather than very fluid and be prepared to raise my tempo if I find myself penned in at any stage.

Oh aye, and I'd try resting some of your players or easing up in training or getting fitter players or better coaches or something - just as an after thought.

Thanks everyone for the help. I have decided to play him in the EG role as he is most suited to that role. Since playing him in the EG role he is scoring and assisting on a regular basis. I'll post a screen shot at the end of the season of his stats. My only worry is, he is 34 and physical stats are going down so I dont know how long he will keep playing on a regular basis after this season. I think its unlikely i'll find another player suitable to play the EG role in the lower leagues though.

Thanks everyone for the help. I have decided to play him in the EG role as he is most suited to that role. Since playing him in the EG role he is scoring and assisting on a regular basis. I'll post a screen shot at the end of the season of his stats. My only worry is, he is 34 and physical stats are going down so I dont know how long he will keep playing on a regular basis after this season. I think its unlikely i'll find another player suitable to play the EG role in the lower leagues though.

But that is perferct, since EGs are not suppose to run a lot or do a lot of physical work.

But that is perferct, since EGs are not suppose to run a lot or do a lot of physical work.

True, but once his stamina drops and cant really last 60 mins. In my opinion its time to get rid.

Try erhun oztumer from Peterborough. Used to play for.dulwich hamlets. Turkish Messi of lower leagues

Thanks for the tip. Peterborough are my parent club, so might make it easier to get him on loan etc.

Archived