What makes players good at dribbling?

I'm wondering which attributes and perhaps PPMs or even roles make players the best dribblers?

The reason I ask is that I have always felt Verratti is a player who's dribbling stat at 16 is somewhat underrated relative to other players (this isn't a complaint about player ratings though). Below is a comparison of how many take-ons a player attempts per 90 minutes and the percentage of those that are successful. I've selected Mahrez and Costa as I believe they're currently leading the way in successful dribbles in Europe's top five leagues and then a couple of similar midfield ball players to provide some context.

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-07%20at%2017.18.50_zpslgcb6hsf.png

What interests me about Verratti is that although he's not the most prolific of dribblers, he's remarkably successful with the dribbles he does attempt. This makes him very efficient at either playing his way out of problems from deep or at carrying the ball through the middle.

I've never really been able to replicate his style of play in game and I'd be happy to apply a few tweaks to him in the database if I could understand which of the technical, mental, physical attributes and PPMs might best replicate his skill set. So, what should I be looking for and how do they influence a player's inclination and success with taking on a man?

Thanks for your expertise!

Dribbling can be a lot like passing; the highest success rates don't belong to the most technically adept, but the players who can pick when to dribble and when not to.

But safe dribbling doesn't always win you matches.

Flair vs. Decisions & Anticipation

I'd imagine players like Cazorla dribble past players when they're stretching for the ball on the transition whereas the likes of Mahrez and Costa are dribbling against an organised defence.

Attributes wise, dribbling, flair, pace, acceleration, agility, balance, technique and maybe strength?

what is the definition of "dribbling" on statistic? tbh i dont know for sure about it. If i remember correctly, 1 succesful dribble is when a player with the ball on his feet is able to get past 2 opposition players. but again, CMIIW

anyway, it is true that someone without remarkable dribbling can achive such a high successful dribbling rate as long as he knows the right timing to do it. even Iniesta under Guardiola was using his dribble to create space quite often. hence. in FM at that time his dribbling n agility attributes are 19

It's a good question, as there are lies damn lies and statistics.

There was a stat from last season that had Matic making more successful dribbles than any player in Europe at one point. So defining what a dribble is would make sense.

I don't see 'successful take-ons' as the same as dribbling. I think dribbling to me implies running at defenders at pace, whereas where Verratti succeeds is simply in evading challenges in the midfield area. So perhaps agility, and anticipation come into play.

Archived