need advice not to buy too many player every summer.

there is so much money now in the prem i'm having trouble not buying too many players i'm bristol city and about to start my second season in the prem and we are already the 30th richest club in the world, but what are people's transfer tactics as i seem to sign to amny players then start the season with too big a squad.

Usually depends on how my season has gone tbh, if I've conceded bucket loads I lean towards defence, if I'm not scoring I look at attackers, not creating its midfielders etc.. That and replacing the older players with younger talent.

if you have a decent size squad, If it was me I would look to move players on, but that's just my squad building, I'm in the prem (Birmingham) and I've only got small first team squad - about 20ish - and try and use youth when I can..

There was a whole discussion about size of squads, if I can find it anywhere, I'll post the link

thanks, i've just gone abit crazy signing youth players,

i'm having trouble trying to keep a wage structure as some of my star players have match top wage, but then most first team qualty player i want to sign want double what i'm paying, though i'm easiy the lowest way team in the prem with top earner earning 30 odd grand.

does anyone else think the game is abit heavy on advanced playmakers most midfielders seem to be this role and most of the best players i can get are also this role.

The question to ask yourself when looking at a new player is "is he better than what I have already and if so, by how much"- any new player must add value either directly as a player, or even as an investment. It is rarely a good idea to buy just because you have the money and then your board will appreciate that

The first thing you have to try and do when possible is remove the match highest earner clause,

It's a horrible clause tbh and causes endless problems down the line so avoid it whenever you can..

And like FrazT said, if you're not improving on what you already have, then don't spend, there's no point stockpiling players and killing the wage budget.. Which could as well be part of the reason you're struggling to keep to a structure, signing too many players you don't need..

My transfer policy is all about squad balance, if I have a pair of 5* strikers & another who is 4* I'm not going to sign another 4* striker because keeping them all happy will be difficult. What I'll look for is a 2* striker with strong attributes in key areas & excellent personality traits as it'll be more likely that they'll be content as a backup to the more talented players.

The same principle applies to my keepers, clear #1, hot prospect #2 & a 1.5-2* backup.

Simply buying better players can result in a top heavy squad that becomes increasingly difficult to manage & is a mistake that many make.

Another key consideration is to plan ahead, anticipate who you might want to move on in the next couple of seasons & start looking for a replacement to have ready either as a new signing or a youngster promoted from the youth team. Then be disciplined enough to stick to that plan & avoid implulse buys unless they will be a key player & are too good not to sign should the opportunity arise.

Archived