Using the Treq

Good evening fellow FMers!

I have recently started up a new save with Newcastle and things are going pretty well. After 9 games in the league I am 5th with 5 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses. However, my problem is trying to use the Trequartista. As you can see below I set up a 4-4-1-1 with the plan of having Ayoze Perez slightly behind Mitrovic/Doumbia.

Screen_Shot_2016_03_28_at_5_31_29_PM.png

As you can see there is nothing out of the ordinary in the back. A GK on defend, FB on attack and one on support and two central defenders on Defend. The right midfielder is a WM on support and his job is basically to help out in attack and defense and send crosses into the box or link up with the overlapping full back. We have a BWM on defend and we hope he will provide some defensive cover as well as trying to win the ball back. Then we have the heart of the team, the RPM (Wijnaldum). The thought is for him to pick up the ball and run with it towards the final third then find the winger, the treq or a through ball to the AF up top. The winger is there to provide width and also cause some havoc in the final third. I opted for the treq in the hole as I hoped he would be a threat on his own and carve out chances for himself and others. The AF is there to lead the line and push down the oppositions d-lineas well as being on the end of through balls and crosses.

Screen_Shot_2016_03_28_at_5_31_44_PM.png

We are playing on Counter in order to try have bodies behind the ball in defense and flexible, basically because I dont really know how to use shape correctly. The TIs used are play narrow in an attempt to bring our players closer together and let the winger and the right fullback provide the width, and also se we can be compact when we lose the ball. We use close down more and play out of defense because they are my go-to TIs.

As for PIs, the only one used are these ones:

Screen_Shot_2016_03_28_at_5_32_17_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2016_03_28_at_5_32_34_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2016_03_28_at_5_32_45_PM.png

Now to my dilemma, I dont feel the treq is contributing enough. I know he doesnt do much in defense, but I was hoping for him to be my main creator (along with the RPM, just with more influence in the final third) providing with goals and assist. If we look at the players I have used in the position and their stats it is evident they dont contribute much:

Ayoze Perez 9 games 1 assist

Henri Saivet 1(7) games 1 goal

Siem de Jong 1(2) no goals, no assist

So, is there something obvious in my set up that could explain why I am not seeing what I had hoped for from my Treq? If i need to clarify something or provide more screens I am happy doing so.

Cheers

I think using a RPM is not an ideal choice if you want your Treq to be your main creative outlet. RPM will attract lots of passes and look to run with the ball often and play lots of risky passes. A more 'traditional' midfielder might be a better fit, a CM on support, a BBM if you want a runner from deep or a DLP if you want an additional deep playmaker (who won't run with the ball a lot like the RPM).

My two cents :)

I think using a RPM is not an ideal choice if you want your Treq to be your main creative outlet. RPM will attract lots of passes and look to run with the ball often and play lots of risky passes. A more 'traditional' midfielder might be a better fit, a CM on support, a BBM if you want a runner from deep or a DLP if you want an additional deep playmaker (who won't run with the ball a lot like the RPM).

My two cents

My thinking was that the RPM would attract most of the passes from the back (since I have play out of defense active) and bring the ball forward and by the time he reaches the final third (if he hasnt passed it by then) the treq would have found a pocket of space in a dangerous position and they could link up. Kind of a two creative players combining for some magical stuff. The two of them would combine for some interesting offensive play and being able to find the AF who has pushed forward. I have no clue though if that is possible or not and looking at how things have gone you might have point. I think I would change the treq to a second striker before getting rid of the RPM though as I like what he brings to the team with his running. I would also find it hard to fit in Wijnaldum into the team if I changed his role. I think I will give it some more time and look at it more closely though before making any changes.

Doesn't Perez has breaks offside trap? Maybe that affected how he plays as he will always try to play on the shoulder of the last defender.

He does, but I dont see him up there trying to beat the offside trap that often to be honest. He mostly sits between the midfield and defense trying to find space like a treq would. The few times I have seen him up there I have accounted it to him deciding that is where he should be or he is about to move into channels, which is hardcoded into the Treq role. I will, however, look at this more closely too before deciding on any change.

As of now I am leaning towards changing the treq to a F9 so he would drop deep instead of starting in a deeper position if I decide to make a change.

I absolutely love Shadow Striker for providing goal scoring threat. With the proper setting for AMCs, I think SS can be the most aggressive while AM(S) can be the most conservative.

If you are not going to change treq, then Kandersson is right on RPM. Core Duo is never easy, they will be competing for the chance of forward passing.

First thought is you are doing well, leave it!! Can you check how many 'key passes' the treq is making compared to the rest of his team mates? I feel he would make a lot of good passes out to the LW and RFB, switching the play, 1 pass from the assist as it were. Counter + play narrower, I can just imagine it being very congested in that midfield area, not much space to turn and play forward, resulting in lack of assists. (guessing the LW and RFB are top assist men)

Treq is a 50/50 IMO.

I could be wrong but i'll give my thoughts (remember that these %%s are just roughly from my own interpretation, specially because i mostly use support duties and they usually are my main goalscorers, so these are more mentality-wise):

Poacher = 90% focused on goalscoring, 10% on creating

Advanced Forward = 80% goalscoring, 20% creating

TM(A), DLF(A) = 70% goalscoring, 30% creating

CF(A) = 60% goalscoring, 40% creating

Trequartista = 50/50

CF(S) = 60% creating, 40% goalscoring

TM(S), DLF(S), F9 = 70% creating, 30% goalscoring

DF = 90% focused on runner-like tasks, e.g. closing down and linking up deeper teammates with other attackers, 10% scoring

In my own experience I can tell the best partners to a Treq are inside forwards because they're also balanced on both tasks regardless of their duty. Don't really see a reason to use an AF and a treq. Specially because you have a RPM. Your AF will move into channels, your Treq will move into channels and your RPM would do that as well if he could. No one is making crazy dangerous runs for the Treq to put a ball behind defenders and it's hard to believe any STC role would because usually these happens due to cutting inside.

Also if your striker is anywhere balanced or close to it just use CF(S) as a creator, it will destroy continents.

Thank you all for your input. I really value it. As I have read it all I have started to think and while things have been going well, I am not totally pleased with how things are playing out. As you all are aware Ayoze is probably the most exciting player at Newcastle and I really want him firing on all cylinders. Therefore, I think this first season will be about trying to find a system that brings out the best in him. I am close to mid-season now, but I am willing to put short-term success on hold and start experimenting with tactics. However, I don't think the treq and the RPM will feature in my new system. Thank you though for the input so far!

I was tweaking my Newcastle tactics and made Ayoze a Treq as an FC. I made my other striker a CF(s) and it has worked very well. My AML is an IF(a) and my AMR is W(s). I play with 2 DM one is a BWM(s) and the other is a DLP(s).

Previously I had an AF(a) and Ayoze as an F9(s). When I changed the roles of my two FC my offense took off in all 3 tactics attacking, control and counter.

i don't really get the treq the discription sounds like a support role but he can only play att (mainly as a forward i don't understand do you parter with a support striker or att striker?

It's a Support role with high creative freedom that pushes teammates up. The graphics for it are misleading.

Thank you all for your input. I really value it. As I have read it all I have started to think and while things have been going well, I am not totally pleased with how things are playing out. As you all are aware Ayoze is probably the most exciting player at Newcastle and I really want him firing on all cylinders. Therefore, I think this first season will be about trying to find a system that brings out the best in him. I am close to mid-season now, but I am willing to put short-term success on hold and start experimenting with tactics. However, I don't think the treq and the RPM will feature in my new system. Thank you though for the input so far!

Ayoze is an average player in a terrible Newcastle side, I completely fail to understand the hype surrounding him.

Ayoze is an average player in a terrible Newcastle side, I completely fail to understand the hype surrounding him.

He has PA 160 with good finishing, composure, acc&pace, off the ball, anticipation and work rate, which is very good considering his ca and can play with bot feet.

Maybe not so good in reality though.

Okay, I meant in real life. His in-game ratings are bizarre to me. He wasn't a wonderkid when he was at Tenerife.

As a NUFC fan, it's because he's one of the few players who presents as a threat in the final third. He's creative and can score some pretty gnarly goals. He's probably at best a second-striker/good off bench guy, but he has a lot of technical ability.

Archived