Lennons 4-4-2 K.I.S.S.

This Tactic is called Lennons 4-4-2 Keep It Simple (because I'm) Stupid!!!

Over the last few versions of Football Manager i have really struggled to get to grips with them, so much so that i reverted to trying 'other' peoples tactics. There are plenty on here to chose from and one person in particular seems to have loads. Looking at his screenshots he seems to get huge success from them and going by the feedback, likewise.

I, however, did not seem to get the same sort of success, so i thought, why? When testing tactics are these people using holiday mode? Or quick match? Or real game? As i only use real game i don't know if that was why i did not find the success. I mean using quick match means the Assistant Manager would make the decisions and that could effect the outcome. So you win the game, but it's not really you though is it?

I also do not get how these people claim to use the same tactic each game. Say if i am Sunderland and at home to Man City would i use exactly the same Mentality as if i was playing Norwich? These other threads seem to say yes, but i very much doubt Football Manager works like that anymore.

But as i am no tactician, some people on here obviously understand the game better than me, i want to try and keep things simple.

So i created a 4-4-2 which i believe is suitable to most teams without making to many changes and the requirement to only make slight adjustments.

Here is the set up...

IMG_0053_1.jpg

The formation and my reasons...

GOALKEEPER - Set to roll it out, i have seen a few goals from this build up of the GK playing it out to his defenders (without risky passes) and up through the players and - GOAL!

FULL BACKS - These are set to SUPPORT, they play great when the wide players cut in they move up and often get an easy cross in.

CENTRAL DEFENDERS - Nothing special, but the tactic is not leaking goals so that speaks volumes.

WIDE MIDFIELDERS - I like this part of the tactic as it offers so much going forward. As they cut inside it opens up space to the wide areas but poses problems for the defense as they are difficult to track.

CENTRAL MIDFIELDERS - One is set to defender with the other pushing forward.

STRIKERS - I have gone with a DLF and a Poacher as that is how i prefer. I have set them to swap positions with the idea to try and confuse the opposition.

OVERALL

I tried this out with Gainsborough Trinity in the Vanarama Nation League North.

I signed no players as i believe this formation should be suitable for most starting teams, i did no pre season training, so if you understand that you could improve on it.

TWEAKING

As i want to K.I.S.S. with my Gainsborough game i did very few changes, but enough to let you feel that YOU are in control.

Home games i started with STANDARD Mentality (don't be tempted to go ATTACKING even if you think you should!)

Away games i used DEFENSIVE Mentality.

I actually only used the Defensive Mentality a few times then i started becoming favorites even for away games so i mostly stuck with STANDARD.

If the score is a one goal lead after 70 mins, i would switch to either Defense or Contain and switch on TIMEWASTE to see out games.

More recently as teams are expecting me to attack i use the PASS INTO SPACE shout.

Here are my results with Gainsborough...

IMG_0055_1.jpg

LEAGUE TABLE AND CUPS

IMG_0054_1.jpg

I often get players in the Team Of The Week and have had several trophies for games won in a row (10 so far), games unbeaten, consecutive goals scored, etc

TACTIC

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=80848780148078229811

At times i have moved from STANDARD MENTALITY to CONTROL or even ATTACKING. But i normally start with STANDARD. Against Chorley in the FA CUP i went a goal ahead in the first few minutes so moved up to CONTROL (scored again within minutes so went up to ATTACK Mentality and won 5-0. The theory though is to change rather than start with ATTACKING.

But in most of those games above i have stayed around STANDARD / CONTROL then down to DEFENSIVE or CONTAIN late in games.

SHOUTS AND OI

one thing I noticed about other tactics was that they mostly used 'tight marking' and the "get stuck in" shouts. I really don't think they work, watching games it is clear that players do not get 'marked tightly' and 'get stuck in' causes way to many free kicks and yellow/red cards. I find that a high closing down with a not to high defensive line works.

I never touch OI either as I have tried them previously but found they did not work effectively. Giving your players to many instructions can cause conflicts which lead to errors. K.I.S.S.

FULL INSTRUCTIONS FOR IPAD USERS

Goalkeeper - DE - Ease Off Tackles, Fewer Risky Passes, Distribute to Full Backs

Fullbacks - SU - Shoot Less Often, Get Further Forward, Cross More Often, Cross Aim Centre, Closs Down Much More

Central Defenders - DE - Shoot Less Often, Dribble Less, Fewer Risky Passes, Hold Position

Wide Midfielders - AT - Shoot Less Often, Dribble More, Cross More Often, Cross from Byline, Cross Aim Centre, Cut Inside With Ball

Central Midfield - DE - Hold Position, Close Down More

Central Midfield - SU - Shoot Less often, Get Further Forward, More Risky Passes

Deep Lying Forward - AT - Hold Up Ball, Get Further Forward, Move into Channels

Poacher - AT - Shoot More Often, Roam from Position

TEAM INSTRUCTIONS

TEMPO - Normal

TIME WASTING - Sometimes

WIDTH - Fairly Wide

DEFENSIVE LINE - Normal

USE OFFSIDE TRAP

CLOSING DOWN - Much More

PASSING DIRECTNESS - Mixed

WORK BALL INTO BOX

RUN AT DEFENCE

ASSISTANT MANAGER IN GAME ADVICE

I never take his advice in game!

I really do wonder if the in game advice is actually BROKEN. I used to take his advice but never noticed any difference. He will say "we need to put more crosses in as we are Superior in the air today".

I have both full backs and both Wide Midfielders set to cross often, why and how would you need to cross more?

The comments about Adjust Mentalities, There Is too much space between midfield and attack, We are being outnumbered in Midfield, etc etc

I have ignored these comments and won the game 3-0.

image.jpg

Form has been stuttering a little of late, lost first league game in ages and drew a few to many but still 4 points clear at the top.

But this game above really pleased me. Playing away in the FA Trophy to Dover, a team from a division above us, and yet we deserved the victory. I played defensive mentality, and choose 'retain possession and get stuck in'.

Unlocked the following achievements during the first season...

Hat-Trick - Your player scored a hat-trick in a competitive match

Top of the Class - You won a Manager of the Month award

You're UP! - Guide your team to promotion in a domestic league

Team Performance - 5 of your players were in a team of the week

Unstoppable Force - Your team scored most goals over and entire season

Iron Curtain - Your team conceded the least goals over an entire season

Scoring Streak - Your team scored in 10 consecutive matches

Unbeatable! - Your team was unbeaten in 10 consecutive matches

You're on Fire! - Your team won 10 Consecutive matches

First Victory - You guided your team to victory in a competitive fixture

He's sold - You sold a player to another team

Back of the Net - Your team scored a goal in a competitive match

Thumping - You won a competitive match by at least 5 goals

Shrewd Spender - You have gained 90% board confidence in controlling the clubs wage bill

I'm The Boss - You fined one of your players

Clean Sheet - You played a competitive match without conceding a goal

Attack! - Your team scored a goal in 20 competitive matches

Goal Machine - Your player was the top scorer over an entire season

Unlock Attribute Masking - One of your players won Player of the Year award

Unlock International Management - You won the Manager of the Year award

I am expecting season 2 being really hard, the problem with these teams is that every player is on either a one season contract or non contract. Some players will not even negoiciate whilst others are simply not good enough. I have made a big overhaul of the squad using free agents and loans only. I am expected to battle against relegation and the squad harmony is low. So the tactic is going to really get tested now!

image.jpg

Tactic is still working. Twice I was 2-0 ahead up to 75 minutes, changing to contain was not enough because my whole squad is part timers, by that time in a game my team is really low on fitness. I can't negoiciate any full time contracts due to board restrictions.

On one side I am still over achieving (as we are expected to battle against relegation) but with a more ambitious board I could be in a even better position.

On FM16 though there is a fine line between success and failure. A few bad results in a row will cause even a good tactic problems, whereas even a couple of good results won't hide a poor tactic as it will get found out. A lot of importance is put into morale and sometimes morale is effected to easily. If you get on a slippery slope and start losing repeatedly it is probably best to start again!

image.jpg

I always felt comfortable but had problems with fitness, when I went out the Cup Competitions the schedule thinned out and was able to get by a lot better. No idea what will happen next season when I assume we will go full time, but the wage budget?

image.jpg

Nathan Jarman was part of the original squad I inherited, been the leagues top scorer both seasons.

Sam Corcoran was one of many free transfers/loans that I used, still yet to pay a fee for a player!

Kane Bingley was promoted from the reserve squad and used whenever I had injuries or fitness issues.

Although he was not a regular started he still scored 12 goals, however like some others will not even consider signing a contract so looks like another overhaul ahead of free signings and loans.

image.jpg

First game of the season and to be honest we did not deserve the win!

The stats are not completely true though, our closing down worked well with most shots be from outside the crowded box. The chances inside the box were well closed down and had little room. The sending off did not cause me many problems.

Choose a team for me???

Due to a lack of feedback from others users I am wondering, is it not working for other teams?

So if anyone wants to give me a team I will give it a go and see what changes may be needed.

I want not expect to use it with its current instructions with better quality teams as they would require more creativity.

The basic set up is fine just some different instructions should do the trick.

Let me know and I will give it a try.

image.jpg

Tried this with Aston Villa myself and it looks promising. First two games I used defensive mentality and although Man City were much better we looked more organised.

Still too early to really judge it though.

image.jpg

Tried this with Aston Villa myself and it looks promising. First two games I used defensive mentality and although Man City were much better we looked more organised.

Still too early to really judge it though.

For Aston Villa I did no signings, no changes to training and no OI Instructions. The most important thing to remember is to IGNORE in game advice!

image.jpg

Had a couple of poor results recently but overall the big picture is quite good. To be in the top half of the Premier League at this stage of the season where the tactic will continue to improve the longer it is used.

Played a full season with Sunderland and although we finished mid table which was above expectations I still felt something was not right.

So I tried it again, but this time I changed to 'Highly Structered'. It seems to have made a difference...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tried this tactic with Crewe, as you can see it says 'battle bravely against relegation' and yet we are pushing for promotion!

Just used the defensive mentality in all games, if I went a goal behind changed to attacking mentality.

Archived