NHL release player, negotiate contract buyout options.

There's a major loophole being exploited by human GM's in online leagues and the AI in solo games. You can use either the "release player" or the "negotiate contract buyout" options and pay the player a compensation with no Cap Penalty at all.

Ideally this release player option shouldn't be available for NHL teams, there aren't cases in EHM like Mike Richards' in real life AFAIK. It should be only the buyout option instead.

With this buyout option (called "negotiate buyout contract" in game) teams should get a Cap Penalty depending on the player cap hit. There are available sources on the web about it, I know it's a bit complicated but maybe implementing simplified rules is enough to prevent teams of not getting the correct cap penalties when buying out players (Important issue needing a fix: Teams shouldn't have to negotiate the buyout with players unless they're injured). Thanks in advance, Riz :)

• 1 month later...

The negotiate buyout is actually to pay the player even less money then owed(or it was on 05) which is also incorrect for NHL Standard Player Contracts. The game is also not counting buried contract(over 950k) against the cap. It says it is, but, anytime I've done the math myself on it the game isn't actually adding it. It's a huge loophole for online play. I also know playyers releasing and re-signing players for a lower cap hit since there is no punishment for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SI Staff

Yes, cap hits from buyouts will be added in the next update. The modelling will not be 100% realistic as the game cannot support the buyout cap hit varying from year to year so it will be averaged over the appropriate number of seasons instead. Otherwise the mechanics will be realistic.

• SI Staff
The game is also not counting buried contract(over 950k) against the cap. It says it is, but, anytime I've done the math myself on it the game isn't actually adding it.

The game does take buried contracts into account, but I think there was an issue with the team cap information screen not updating all the values immediately when a player was re-assigned to a farm team. This would have caused the player contract detail panel to show the correct buried contract cap hit but the team Averaged Club Salary would have remained unchanged in the screen, without the buried cap hit being considered. The refreshing of the team values has been adjusted for the next update.

One thing to consider is that the game does not update the salary cap calculations on a day-by-day basis (as real life does). The game handles things week-by-week, so moving a player to the farm for just a few days (and the possible related buried cap hit changes) won't necessarily affect the weekly accumulated cap hit.

Archived