Fully utilize 2 striker?

People with more experience with the 4-4-2 may chime in with better info, but the common view about a 2 striker setup is that you need 1 who links with the midfield and the other who pushes the defensive line.

So, usually one player will be on attack duty (an AF or a Poacher most likely) while the other is on a support role (a target man or deep-lying forward or false-9 perhaps; I think I have seen some use a defensive forward, but I think that will get a different dynamic).

Obviously the deeper player should be capable of controlling the ball and passing. Decent composure, passing and vision stats. The attacking forward just needs to be able to score (anticipation, finishing, composure, technique, etc.)

I play in a league which allowed 3 foreign player, 2 striker and 1 center back...my 2 striker is easily Top 5 best player in the league

All local player are quite poor, i play 4-4-2 formation, but what team instruction work best to make best use of my 2 striker ?

My own rule of thumb for 442 striker partnership:

- Target Man on support and Poacher if u r playing a more direct style

- DLF on support and AF if u r playing a more possession based style

I struggle with the Poacher role and almost always use an Advanced Forward. Depending on the players I have at my disposal then I'll use either a Target Man (support) or a Complete Forward (support) mostly. I've tried DLF or F9 but have struggled to get consistent performances from them. Advanced Forward is by far my favourite striker role because it's so effective (at least in the systems I play). Works hard like a Defensive Forward but sits on the last man and runs the channels to get in behind like a Poacher. I've had som much success using that role in a 2 striker setup.

I'm currently using a Complete Forward (attack) and Deep Lying Forward (support), but I had a lot of joy with a False 9 and Deep Lying Forward (attack) for a while.

I'm playing a 3-1-4-2 at the moment and it's the first time in a few years where I've played regularly with a front two and I'm really enjoying the interplay.

I mostly play with the classic Deep Lying Forward on Support alongside and Advanced Forward (A). You (of course) need proper attributes in each role...my combo works best when my DLF is a guy who is basically an attacking midfielder who can also play in the SC slot, he comes deep and loves to slot little passes in between the opposition defender for my (quick) ADV F to run on to.

PPMs of course can help as well, most of my fwds have Plays One Twos which contributes to their interplay... Same applies for things like 'Tries to beat offside trap' which is going to be better on the ADV Fwd than the DLF.

To answer the OP's original question, I only play with one TI (Play Out Of Defence) which doesn't affect my front two other than minimising the number of long balls toward them. Look at the players you have and how they suit the roles available; what are your players strengths and can you play to them?

Archived