How to develop this tactic further?

Hi all,

Currently in my 2nd season with Milan, approaching January. I managed a 3rd place finish last year, however we were very inconsistent and that is a problem that has continued this season! In January I am going to be signing Bazoer (or someone who can play as a CM and DM, potentially filling in as CB because I want to play a Half Back at CDM) and am planning to change my system slightly. I have been playing attacking football, with a high line, offside trap and lots of pressing. Going forward we have played more direct football, including lots of play from the wing backs I use.

This is how our current shape looks:

6e46f5c8b9e518a2eb05ebceb0976e73.png

It works okay, but as I said can be very inconsistent.

I'm looking to change things up a bit, and this is how I'm thinking of doing that:

9242afcafcb36a0b54f3786316386d42.png

However, I really cannot decide on anything beyond the shape (even the roles I'm not too sure on). I think I want to stay with a system that presses the opponent and puts them under pressure when they're on the ball but I don't know if I want to play shorter football or more direct. Here's an idea of how my squad compares to other teams in the league:

First touch: 1st (all)

Passing: 3rd (all), 1st (midfield)

Strength: 2nd (all)

Teamwork: 1st (all)

Technique: 1st (midfield)

Jumping Reach: 1st (attack), Heading: 2nd (attack)

Pace: 2nd (attack), Acceleration: 1st (attack)

Does anybody have any advice for me? I think the main thing I want is a little bit more consistency, and I think a new system could bring that

I don't even know what issue you have with this tactic. Do you have the TIs, PIs, Mentality/Stretegy? More so, YOU have to decide how you want to play. If it is working out already, which obviously it is, then keep the system

The tactic is very inconsistent, I only managed 3rd place last year due to other teams slipping up really. I'm not really looking to adjust my old tactic, but to rebuild it with th new shape.

I'm trying to decide how I want to play, and that's what I'm having trouble with. The passing, first touch, teamwork and technique would suggest to me a short passing game, but this could mean I wasn't making the most of the speed/aerial ability of my players.

Update:

Okay, so I signed Bazoer and switched to a tactic I thought could work better:

9e9dad3b7e9217a6c474e07bc35ba196.png

643026bcd3c14866b1f2124d4a4d7e18.png

However, in our first 5 games with it we've lost once, drawn three times and won once (against a side nearly at the bottom of the league below).

I'm not too sure what's going wrong with it. We're having a good amount of posession, we're having more chances than the opposition, not conceding stupid goals (ie my high line being caught out a lot) but we are just not scoring anything. I did notice the wing backs taking a fair few shots so I've used PIs to limit that, but does anyone else have any advice going forward?

I think that your formation is not the greatest option for high pressing, you dont have players on side and I can see your opponents solving those situations very easily by switching the side and hitting you on the counter attacks...

I think that your formation is not the greatest option for high pressing, you dont have players on side and I can see your opponents solving those situations very easily by switching the side and hitting you on the counter attacks...

From the games that I've played that hasn't seemed to be too much of a problem. My fullbacks do move up

The chances are all in/just outside of the box. Most chances are saved, but a few are blocked. I'm playing in Italy where most teams tend to be more defensive, so yeah the box does tend to be pretty crowded.

Most of my goals in this save have come from the wingbacks crossing it in to a striker and them heading it in. In games where it has been difficult to do this we have struggled to score.

I'm really not sure how to adapt to to build my system. I tried creating a new tactic, same formation as the 5atb. Focused on pressing in defense with a high line, then once we have the ball building up fairly slowly and probing for openings. However, we really didn't seem to be scoring with this. The tactic wasn't working and I'm not sure why. One of the worst teams in the league managed to have a fair amount of time on the ball against us, which really seems like the tactic isn't successful. On the attack we were passing the ball around nicely, but not scoring. We were losing and drawing to teams we should have beaten easily.

Archived