Can't get a new stadium!

I'm managing Man City, and just finished my 11th Season. In this time I have won:

10 Premier Leagues (9 in a row)

4 Champions Leagues

2 FA Cups

3 League Cups

4 European Super Cups

4 World Club Championships

7 Community Shields

I buy players from all corners of the globe to try and grow the fanbase, but every summer when I ask for a new stadium the board say the fanbase isn't big enough!

Losing patience with it now! Considering what I've won, surely the fanbase has increased dramatically!

My long term target is to have the stadium named after me! Winning the Premier League confirmed me as the greatest manager of all time, so don't know what else I can do!

You can't do anything, the board holds all the cards. All you can do is keep asking.

You say your fanbase should have increased dramatically, but should it? In Manchester, they have a huge fanbase to start with, so there's no real room for it to increase "dramatically". Are you selling out the stadium constantly?

I've not really checked the attendances, but I meant 'dramatically' as in I expected us to have a global fanbase (like United, Chelsea, Liverpool etc.) with me buying players from all over the world - not just growing in Manchester!

I always make sure I have a Chinese/Japanese/Korean player in my squad as the board say that increases fan base abroad, and I keep making affiliate links with clubs from the four corners of the globe - but not working!

I've not really checked the attendances, but I meant 'dramatically' as in I expected us to have a global fanbase (like United, Chelsea, Liverpool etc.) with me buying players from all over the world - not just growing in Manchester!

I always make sure I have a Chinese/Japanese/Korean player in my squad as the board say that increases fan base abroad, and I keep making affiliate links with clubs from the four corners of the globe - but not working!

But the local fanbase is going to be of more interest when it comes to those that will visit the stadium. Of course you'll get global visitors, but how likely is it that the board will want to gamble on getting another 30,000 fans visiting each week from far-flung corners of the World?

But then all that is moot. The board holds the cards, if they don't want to build one, they won't. Just need to keep asking, and you might get success sometime.

Man City have recently expanded their stadium, a new one that is significantly larger than the current one would cost in the region of £700m & they do not have the ability to sell their current stadium as they do not own it or the land it's on.

Essentially it does not make sound business sense to make such a large capital investment for the limited return, give it another decade or two & that might change but it's unlikely under the current approach to new stadium builds which is only based on current capacity against maximum potential attendance.

Makes sense - but hopefully you are wrong! I'll just have to continue chasing down United's record of Premier League wins, and Real Madrid's record of Champions League wins.

I'm sure on an FM a couple of years ago they built a new stadium...in fact, let me check cos I'm sure I posted it on Facebook...

Yep, found it - but can't post the image as I'm at work and the photo hosting websites are blocked.

In FM12 they built a new stadium in year 2024, at a cost of £310m, with 80,000 capacity! And they sold the old stadium for £72m (of course we own the stadium - the Sheikh billionaire bought everything)!

I guess I'll just have to keep plugging away and hope for the best!

On a previous version they could have done, they would have been in a smaller ground with a possibly incorrect expansion capacity that resulted the game code favouring a new build rather than expanding to the current expanded capacity.

Yep, found it - but can't post the image as I'm at work and the photo hosting websites are blocked.

In FM12 they built a new stadium in year 2024, at a cost of £310m, with 80,000 capacity! And they sold the old stadium for £72m (of course we own the stadium - the Sheikh billionaire bought everything)!

I guess I'll just have to keep plugging away and hope for the best!

New stadium after 20 years which is in line with how FM works, given the expansion to 61,000 the min time for new build date is probably reset to 20 years from completion & just to correct you the ground is still owned by Manchester City Council.

The FM12 stadium cost needs to be ignored, I got those corrected upwards for FM14 or maybe FM15 as they were always too low.

Man City definitely do not own the stadium. I'm managing them and needed to buy the ground in 2036. You'll need to make sure you max out attendances but even then, more than likely you will get an expansion approved. A new stadium won't be easy.

Assuming the next stage of the redevopement is in the club data I believe the stadium has reached its expansion limit, the only option remaining for the club is to build their own stadium.

Assuming the next stage of the redevopement is in the club data I believe the stadium has reached its expansion limit, the only option remaining for the club is to build their own stadium.

Yeah, I can't even request to the board that they expand so I assume it isn't possible! Annoying though, this is the last season I'll be playing as Man City on footy manager (going set myself more challenging jobs from next season) so really want to get a new stadium named after me!

Archived