Emulating Jose Mourinho's Philosophy

Jose Mourinho is my 2nd favourite active manager(after Carlo)so I am gonna have a go at replicating his style of counter attacking and efficient football, I won't build a defensive team but I'll surely build a team that is strong in defensive terms.I'll need a bit of help and a couple of pointers here and there tho, so that is why I am posting this here.I'll be trying to replicate his most recent stint at Chelsea since I have most data and knowledge of that.The Formation will be 4-2-3-1.

Main Overview

Mentality:Counter ~ No arguments here, Jose's teams always play reactive, counter attacking football

Flexibility: Flexible ~ Jose's teams are neither very fluid nor very rigid

Salient Features of a Jose Team

-Well organised defense

-Whole is greater than the sum of its parts mentality

-Counter attacking football

-Usage of flanks

-Vertical and horizontal Compactness

-Two solid banks of four

-Muscular and strong pressing

-Creative freedom afforded to only a certain group of players

These translate to TIs and PIs as follows(according to me, anyway)

Team Instructions

Tempo: High

Width: Narrow

D-Line: Normal

No offside trap

Closing Down: More

Prevent Short GK Distribution

Tackling:No instruction selected

Build up: Exploit the Flanks

Pass into Space

Mixed Passing

Be More Disciplined

Work the ball into box

Players, roles, duties and instructions

Courtois: GK(D) Throw it long

Terry and Cahill: CD(D) Close down less

Azpillicueta:WB(D) RB Get further forward, stay wider and cross more often

(New LB):CWB(S) Get further forward, cross More often, stay wider, tackle harder close down more

Fabregas M© DLP(S)- More Risky Passes, More direct passes(if needed)

Matic M© BWM(d)- Close down much more, tackle harder

Oscar AM(S)- Close Down More, More Risky Passes and Tackle Harder(optional- Move into channels)

Hazard IF(A)- Sit Narrower, Roam from Position, Close down more and More Risky Passes.

Willian: W(S) Get further forward, cross more often, close down more and More Risky Passes

Diego Costa CF(A) Tackle Harder

I'll add a little bit on how all this ties together and how I want it to work later(this is all theory, I haven't been able to test this yet since I am currently on holiday and away from my laptop)

My image of this tactic is to play counter attacking football with pace down the flanks, pressing the opposition in their half and then quickly retreating into our own when they enter our half while forming 2 compact banks of four and waiting for the turnover to go on the counter(this is very slow unless I use be more disciplined, this the instruction).Eden Hazard plays in the left half space and creates while the LB runs rampant up and down the flank, Willian creates from wide, so Azpillicueta is more conservative, Costa hassles the defense and makes runs in behind in channels to through balls or uses his physicality to head whipped crosses into the net.(Not to mention his stellar hold up play on counters).

You should check out the post I did in the Chelsea-thread. Could be some useful pointers there. I would use a deeper version of the 4231 to get the solid defence

I am thinking about dropping Matic down to the DM Strata and have him drop between the CBs, should I do this?If yes, what role and duty should I use??

I would put both of them in front of the defence, creating a wall. DM-D for Matic, and then maybe reg-s for Fabregas, as he would have a lot of space to drift into, dictating the play from deep. Oscars ppm of drop deep would ensure a nice linkup between the two stratas.

remember that the formation is the basis for your defensive shape, with two advanced widemen, I can't see how you would achieve the two solid Banks of four you want.

I would put both of them in front of the defence, creating a wall. DM-D for Matic, and then maybe reg-s for Fabregas, as he would have a lot of space to drift into, dictating the play from deep. Oscars ppm of drop deep would ensure a nice linkup between the two stratas.

remember that the formation is the basis for your defensive shape, with two advanced widemen, I can't see how you would achieve the two solid Banks of four you want.

Would dropping them and making it a 4-4-1-1 work?Hazard as Winger Attack and Willian wide Playmaker?The problem with wide pm is that it tends to not stay wide and come narrow, thus changing our attacking shape(which is useful if you are copying Carlo's real but not Jose's teams).I am just not sold on using 2 players in the DM position, lest I end up dropping the wingers too, thus copying your formation entirely, something I don't want to do.

Yes, the 4-4-1-1 is a solid defensive shape, and would be in line with what you set out to do. Hazard as WP-A so he would attract the ball, and willian as W-S maybe, you have to try it out and see what fits best with your vision!

So, TIs and PIs

Team Instructions

Tempo: High

Width: Narrow

D-Line: Normal

No offside trap

Closing Down: More

Prevent Short GK Distribution

Tackling:No instruction selected

Build up: Exploit the Flanks

Pass into Space

Mixed Passing

Be More Disciplined

Work the ball into box

PIs

Players, roles, duties and instructions

Courtois: GK(D) Throw it long

Terry and Cahill: CD(D) Close down less

Azpillicueta:WB(S) RB Get further forward, stay wider and cross more often

(New LB):WB(A)Get further forward, cross More often, stay wider, tackle harder close down more

Fabregas M© DLP(S)- More Risky Passes, More direct passes(if needed)

Matic M© BWM(d)- Close down much more, tackle harder

Oscar AM(S)- Close Down More, More Risky Passes and Tackle Harder(optional- Move into channels)

Hazard WP(A)- Close down more and More Risky Passes.

Willian: W(S) Get further forward, cross more often, close down more and More Risky Passes

Diego Costa CF(A) Tackle Harder

Suggestions?4-4-1-1 ofcourse

I think the setup looks fine. Some potential issues: The WP-A goes into the half-spaces alot, so you leave that flank vulnerable if you loose the ball high up the pitch, maybe have the LB on a more conservative role like the FB-S, he will still support and provide width but be more defensively solid, you can also give him cross more to offset the reduced crossing you get from a TI like work ball into box..

The BWM-D is a role I like and is useful in a 4-4-2 when he has to cover alot of space, but you have the AM-S in front who will track back to some extent so you don't need him to cover a lot of space, I think maybe a CM-D will give you what you need while also protecting the back four better, Matic is quite an accomplished passer so there is little risk in giving him that role.

Look forward to you putting your system in to play, I would do what Cleon do and play the first 3 matches without changing anything, then go back and watch them to spot the things you need to tweak. It may sound like a lot of effort, but it will probably help you in the long run as you are then pretty set for the rest of the season.

I think the setup looks fine. Some potential issues: The WP-A goes into the half-spaces alot, so you leave that flank vulnerable if you loose the ball high up the pitch, maybe have the LB on a more conservative role like the FB-S, he will still support and provide width but be more defensively solid, you can also give him cross more to offset the reduced crossing you get from a TI like work ball into box..

The BWM-D is a role I like and is useful in a 4-4-2 when he has to cover alot of space, but you have the AM-S in front who will track back to some extent so you don't need him to cover a lot of space, I think maybe a CM-D will give you what you need while also protecting the back four better, Matic is quite an accomplished passer so there is little risk in giving him that role.

Look forward to you putting your system in to play, I would do what Cleon do and play the first 3 matches without changing anything, then go back and watch them to spot the things you need to tweak. It may sound like a lot of effort, but it will probably help you in the long run as you are then pretty set for the rest of the season.

I agree about the CM-D, the BWM can be a little to aggressive at times, what fullback do you suggest I buy for the LB spot?I'll use WB-S there.

Could you look over my Carlo interpretation(I did it before this, it's doing well, halfway through season unbeaten in league, lost to Chelsea 3-1 at the bridge, exacted revenge with a 5-1 thumping at SB, beat Atletico 6-2 and Barca 2-1)all the while replicating the 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 transitional rotation Carlo used

If it is doing that well I would not change anything. Also, my knowledge of Anceolottis systems are not that great. In regards to the Lb, think about what you want the player to do and search for attributes that corresponds with your vision

If it is doing that well I would not change anything. Also, my knowledge of Anceolottis systems are not that great. In regards to the Lb, think about what you want the player to do and search for attributes that corresponds with your vision

Thanks for all your advice and help :)

No problem =) You have tempted me to do another season with Chelsea and tweak my system, hope you get some success!

Nice to hear that, that is what keeps all of us going, inspiring each other.After I've tested and perfected this, I'd like to do a more possession based tactic, but don't know who I should emulate(it's not my forte) any idea who I should emulate?

Archived