Hi Guys,

Could really do with some help on my tactics!

I had a kind of successful first season winning the champions league but finishing 5th in the league.

The league seems to be where i struggle . . . .

The formation i have been playing is below

---------------GK--------------- Team Shape - Fluid

FB(S)---CB(D)--CB(D)---FB(S) Team Mentality - Control

-------------DLP(D)------------- Fairly Wide - Retain Possession - Be More Expressive - Run at Defence - Look for Overlap

-------------B2B(S)-------------

IF(A)--------AP(A)--------IF(A)

--------------CF(S)-------------

Either any ideas to improve the above as i am struggling to get goals winning by 1-0 or drawing in low scoring games or not scoring at all !!!

Or i was planning to move to the below ( Really looking for a recommendation on what forward to play alongside my CF(A)

---------------GK--------------- Team Shape - Flex

FB(S)---CB(D)--CB(D)---FB(S) Team Mentality - Control

--------------RG(S)------------- Balanced - Slightly Higher - Retain Possession - Be More Expressive - Run at Defence - Look for Overlap

--------------CM(D)-------------

IF(S)-----------------------IF(S)

----------CF(A)--????-----------

Individual Instructions

GK - None

FB - Shoot Less, Run Wide, Stay Wide

CB - None

CB - None

FB - Shoot Less, Run Wide, Stay Wide

RG - Close Down Much More

CM - None

IFR - Stay Wide

IFL - Sit Narrower, Shoot More Often

CF - Shoot more Often

???? - None Currently

Any Adjustments would be great !

If it does help i would like to control games as i have a fit and young squad who are capable of working hard and i have a good sized squad for rotation if needed.

What are you actually seeing in the matches? What kind of chances are you creating? I see two things that would trouble me. One is that with your two IFs on attack and only a single B2B in front of him, and the Retain Possession TI, the DLP has very limited passing options. Likewise, the FBs may not be able to make low-risk passes to the forwards. The other is that with two IFs, you're likely getting very narrow up front, and I suspect that everyone gets in each other's way. Also, who do the FBs have to overlap? The only mids they could overlap are attacking, so they'll be further up the pitch. Again, what are you seeing during matches?

Before we can really suggest changes we would need to know what your actually trying to make?

I'll point out the issues I see firstly with your first tactic (41131):

1. Your formation is your defensive positioning, have you ever seen DMC, MC and AMC position like that to defend?

2. 4 players in the AM+ST positions when defending is a lot and very attacking, your defensive players lack shielding so you need to close down to cause rushed play or your defender will have lots of space to try to defend. Slightly higher will help a bit but because you have a DMC player they will be slightly deeper anyway so your not much better off than a standard 4231 Wide with 2 MC. You also have one of your two deeper central midfielders roaming from position, if your FB's have overlapped your going to be lacking some defensive cover.

3. Your asking your team to Retain Possession but then to play Fluid + More Expression + More Dribbling so have lots of creative freedom to do what they want, and to dribble more when many of the roles already are encourage to do that.

4. Look for Overlap encourages your advanced wide players (IF-A) to hold up the ball to give your DL/DR time to make a run. Being Attack Duty your IFs will be pushing up looking to make runs, but your Support duty FB's will be quite deeper, your asking a lot from them.

5. You have two central playmakers yet seem to be also wanting to have a lot of wide play and crossing, its doesn't seem to fit into the same plan.

Put this all together and i'd be a pretty confused player: "Ok team, I want you the AML and AMR to be really attacking making lots of runs, but then wait for the FB's to overlap. We have a DLP and AP so try to get them the ball, they're the playmakers and I want you all to retain possession but to play with lots of creative freedom..."

I wouldn't do that formation personally, its sooo unbalanced and still has a lot of the same issues at the first.

Archived