Touchline team talks

Alright gents,

I recently just finished a season very successfully winning prem and fa cup and losing on pens in champs league. I have a good team and tactics(I think) but the thing which got me the points in alot of games ( although i cannot prove it) was the touchline team talks.

If my team was playing a weaker team outside the top 6 and we were struggling to create or conceding chances in the first 15-25 mins i used the 'demand more' talk this almost always helped my team even up possesion and alot of the time get a few chances and even got a fair few goals. Against good teams if i used this shout i would alot of the time get passed around and my players seemed to be chasing shadows although did always seem to help if my team was playing well below standard.

I would also use after 60 th minute if still not playing well just to give them another kick up the arse after the halftime teamtalk

Basically i use this shout if im saying 'cmon lads to the monitor'

If i was winning by the 35th minute i would always say 'concentrate' unless we were very much on top and i would also use in the 75th-80th min unless winning by a few goals. Also i would use this shout any time during the opening 20 mins of a game where im playing a similar or stronger opponent and they are dominating the chances if its just possesion i generally use 'demand more'

Basically i use this shout if im clenching.

If im losing last 10 mins and iv gone overload, take more risks etc i also use the 'pushforward' shout, we grabbed some late goals although we conceded some as well seemed to be a 50/50 gamble which i'd take. I'v never seen my keeper go forward for a corner though, i have seen neuer go up for one when he was playing for Bayern against me so im not sure how you do that.

Basically i use this shout if im thinking 'all is lost'

I also tried the 'get creative' shout but i seemed to concede sloppy goals but didn't use it anywhere near enough to form a full opinion.

Do you use touchline teamtalks? and which ones do you find most effective in which situations?

I use them pretty often, but not so much that they're meaningless. As a rule of them, I'll use:

Encourage when just conceded, assertive at home, passionate away.

Concentrate when leading narrowly, usually when closing out a game. Calm away, assertive at home. Also used on complacent players.

Tighten Up less frequently, but usually when we've taken the lead away from home, or because I've earlier used Get Creative and now want them to stop being creative.

Get Creative when at home and opposition teams are defending well.

Show Some Passion at players with 'uninterested' body language.

Demand More I've used to good effect with the player with the right personality, also helps when you're a favoured personnel. I only use it on individuals, but this shout once got two goals and three points from a below-par, mercurial striker.

No Pressure for young players, especially on their debut. Always calm.

I don't know if there's a canonical 'right' way of using these talks, sometimes it works satisfyingly well, at other times it seems to do very little, but that's life.

I always forget you can direct them at individuals.I like your use for 'show some passion' i will have to try it, i always thought it would make the players dive in more for tackles never thought about changing a players body language.

I always use the functionality at least 4 times per match.

The ones i use the most are:

Demand more

Concentrate

Show passion

But i use all the ones mentioned above.

I really believe it gives me at least 3 extra wins against relegation teams who park the bus per season and help me retain leads against top team when i'm in the lead.

Archived