Stupid angles

I've found this a really big issue on 16 in particular, but does everyone else suffer with wingers/FBs getting to the byline in the area, then instead of firing it across the box for a tap in, shooting from an impossible angle and hitting the side netting?

Is there any way to fix it? I know about the "pass over shoot" PPM but I worry that will stop my wingers shooting full stop, which obviously will dry up my goals. Bit unsure on the best protocol here?

You can't stop it, I've played loads of different tactical set ups with different mentalities and TIs but players will consistently make the decision to shoot from narrow angles instead of crossing it, regardless of their attributes or PPMs. However, I see it a lot less since switching to an attacking 442, so the players don't often end up in that position, instead crossing from much further out. Still happens if they do find themselves in that position, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was with other tactical set ups.

I agree, it's infuriating, I don't think I've ever seen a pull-back played from the byline. I've also noticed occasions where the commentary will state that player X "should have scored", even though the angle was impossible. I think this definitely been raised and l really hope this has gone in FM17.

I agree, it's infuriating, I don't think I've ever seen a pull-back played from the byline.

They do happen, but I agree that it is rarer than it should be.

Adjusting tactics can help it, but won't get rid of it completely. It may also just be one specific player doing a Nani, so try and pay attention to that as well. A different player with better Vision or Decisions may very well change things for you.

They do happen, but I agree that it is rarer than it should be.

Adjusting tactics can help it, but won't get rid of it completely. It may also just be one specific player doing a Nani, so try and pay attention to that as well. A different player with better Vision or Decisions may very well change things for you.

Teamwork likely plays a role as well. "Selfish" players should be more likely to go for glory than try to set up a teammate.

I just read on another forum telling your team to play narrower helps with this as your wide guys are more central then

All fair tactical observations, but we really shouldn't have to tweak tactics to prevent players doing something which is even frowned upon at primary school level. I don't think it's unfair comment to say it's a flaw within the engine which will hopefully be remedied, as opposed to something we as players should be expected to mitigate by changing how we wish to play.

It does happen irl and I suppose it's quite hard to program the match engine to totally exclude a particular type of behavior - we'd be getting closer to Subbuteo than FM if we could control very specifically what our players can and can't be doing in the match engine. I've always thought of the match engine as something of an overlay rather than a 100% accurate representation of a football match, but I might be wrong on that point.

It does rile me hugely though. However I did have a moment in my most recent season when my side needed 3 goals in a Europa League game knockout to go through (2-0 loss first game) and my left winger blitzed through after three minutes, onto the byline as described by OP and I audibly said to my monitor "Don't ******* shoot from there" before smashing it in off the keeper, kick-starting a comfortable 4-0 win. Restored my faith in players running onto the byline a little bit, even if that's the 1 time it goes in relative to the 100s I've seen my wingers do it.

There are some obvious bugs with the ME - the other one that really gets me is "BRILLIANT SAVE BY KEEPER" when the ball was going wide anyway. Balls not crossing the line for goals and the occasional magnetic movement of the ball to the keeper also notable.

There are some obvious bugs with the ME - the other one that really gets me is "BRILLIANT SAVE BY KEEPER" when the ball was going wide anyway. Balls not crossing the line for goals and the occasional magnetic movement of the ball to the keeper also notable.

It's extremely minor, but the one that makes me unreasonably irritated -- " ____ puts the ball into Row Z" as the ball gently dribbles out for a throw. IT HARDLY MADE IT OUT OF PLAY MUCH LESS DEEP INTO THE STANDS! AHHH! RAGE!

Archived