What is your smallest Nation you ever took to World Cup or similar?

Hey guys,

I´m a real fan of international managemant and I love managing smaller countries. What is your biggest achievment with a "smaller" nation? Did you ever took a minor nation to World Cup or Euro Championship? Or won the Gold Cup with a small carribean island? Would love to hear your stories ;)

cheers

I managed to get Canada to the World Cup and into the quarter finals. We qualified out of the group in a bizarre twist of luck. Not necessarily a "small nation," but still a bit small when it comes to football. Best I did with my country was the U23s into the Olympics and the finals where we lost on penalties.

I'm currently managing South Africa and have managed to qualify for the world cup in 2022 on FM16.

Had a really good qualifying campaign where we defeated Ivory Coast twice. Looking forward to my first ever world cup.

I don't manage nations very often, but I took Jamaica to their second world cup after winning the qualifiers back in FM14.

We won Greece by 2-1, but lost to Germany (0-1) and Colombia simply scored 6-1 against us. It was terrible, but I loved to play with Jamaica in a attacking 424 shape

I'm usa manager now. I've won the gold cup, olympics, and for some reason the confederations cup playoff is considered a trophy and I have won that twice. In the world cup I won all my group games, which is quite some achievement, but then lost to Mexico in round 2, and somehow Mexico went on and won the world cup! Wow.

I'm preparing for the confederations cup now, I'm in the group of death with Mexico, Argentina and south Korea, while in the other group England have an easy passage of Canada, Congo and new Zealand. Looking forward to the world cup on u.s. Soil though.

did you guys did all these achievments only managing the nation, or also a club in that nation? i knew the guy from strikerless managed to win the world cup with Indonesia but only because he managed a club and improved facilities over time etc

I made the Maltese league playable in FM13 and ended up winning 3 or 4 Champions Leagues with Valletta in the 2030s, and got Malta to the World Cup final (2034, I think), where they got trounced by the United States. The team ended up being a combination of Valletta youth academy products and dual-nationals from South America.

Doing a San Marino Youth Challenge and I got to Euro 2028, even managing to get out of the group stages but lost to Wales on penalties in the R16.

I've never really been into International management as I found I got bored with it very quickly, so only had brief spells with some teams, the most recent was France on FM15. I find the whole process far too fiddly, especially with trying to maintain and update the National pool. Also, hiring staff tends to be very difficult and tiresome, with most rejecting my requests to join whereas in real life I'd expect the majority to jump at the honour of working for their country. Tactical awareness never seems to increase a great deal either, understandable I guess.

I also find it frustrating when I know I've picked the best squad available but then get criticised in the media for my choices; I wouldn't mind so much if the criticism was justified but a lot of the time it isn't. For example, when they say I should have picked Player X because his form has been great but when you look, the guy's not played for 3 months!

I do think they should improve the whole national side of things in future versions.

Generally, though, if I do take on a national side for any length of time, it'll be Wales. Best I have done with them was winning EURO 2016 on FM13. Gareth Bale was unsurprisingly my superstar and I managed to create a killer tactic that focused on him as my striker.

I might try again in FM16 if offered the chance.

Managing a national team is as good as it has ever been in FM16. Spent quite a while with those teams in this version

Never try to manage a national team in FM16 but can you play friendlies with your B-team between two World Cup matches ?

For example, France B team has played against Paris FC U23 yesterday, with Giroud and Payet upfront.

Never try to manage a national team in FM16 but can you play friendlies with your B-team between two World Cup matches ?

For example, France B team has played against Paris FC U23 yesterday, with Giroud and Payet upfront.

No idea, never touched the B team.

I won European Championships 2028 and took into finals 2026 with Finland earlier FM, cant remember the version of the game. this years FM i won bronze with Denmark 2026 World Cup.

I've never really been into International management as I found I got bored with it very quickly, so only had brief spells with some teams, the most recent was France on FM15. I find the whole process far too fiddly, especially with trying to maintain and update the National pool. Also, hiring staff tends to be very difficult and tiresome, with most rejecting my requests to join whereas in real life I'd expect the majority to jump at the honour of working for their country. Tactical awareness never seems to increase a great deal either, understandable I guess.

I also find it frustrating when I know I've picked the best squad available but then get criticised in the media for my choices; I wouldn't mind so much if the criticism was justified but a lot of the time it isn't. For example, when they say I should have picked Player X because his form has been great but when you look, the guy's not played for 3 months!

I do think they should improve the whole national side of things in future versions.

Generally, though, if I do take on a national side for any length of time, it'll be Wales. Best I have done with them was winning EURO 2016 on FM13. Gareth Bale was unsurprisingly my superstar and I managed to create a killer tactic that focused on him as my striker.

I might try again in FM16 if offered the chance.

Interesting how a player who started out as a left back ended up as your striker.

I remember when Spurs first signed Bale, they couldn't win a league game whenever he played and it was quite a lengthy period before that run was broken.......

Just looked it up and it was 2 years and 4 months, a run of 24 league games, without a win.

I also remember a player we had at Cardiff called Josh Magennis. Was our reserve/youth GK, also capped at U17 level for Northern Ireland.

Never really featured but next thing I know he's coming on as a sub for us.....as a striker?? I thought it must have been some mistake but no, he was now a striker.

Broke his leg shortly after though and never really featured again. Sold to Aberdeen at the end of that season and he's been in Scotland ever since, 6 seasons and counting.

Hasn't got a great scoring record, even in the crappy SPL, but kept on being picked for N. Ireland squads. Scored his 1st goal for them in the 3-1 win over Greece which ensured their qualification to the Euros, where he set up the 2nd goal v Ukraine in the group stages.

So yeah, football's a funny old game :)

Archived